Change coming: Autonomy members to meet at '15 NCAA Convention | The Boneyard

Change coming: Autonomy members to meet at '15 NCAA Convention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd
CBSSports.com
September 10, 2014 12:26 pm ET

The 80 voting members in the new autonomy structure will meet formally to begin historic governance change Jan. 17 during the 2015 NCAA Convention in Washington, D.C.

It is believed that is the first time representatives from the 65 Power 5 conferences and 15 voting athletes will meet in person. A separate NCAA Convention business session for the Power 5 conferences will be conducted the next day.

The details were revealed in an NCAA memo sent out last week, obtained by CBSSports.com, outlining a governance transition timeline. The forum will include the 65 members of the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, Big Ten and SEC as well as 15 voting athletes. Those athletes are from the Power 5 who, for the first time, will have direct voting rights in legislation.

The likely first order of business: the much-discussed cost-of-attendance stipend. COA will allow schools approximately $1,000-$5,000 per school year to athletes over and above their tuition. The stipend has been portrayed as student-athlete welfare to cover incidental expenses.

The Autonomous 80 also are also expected to consider lifetime scholarship benefits for players and expanded medical coverage.

The Power 5 got their way on passing legislation. The memo indicates that formal governance change will begin with the 2015-16 school year. The new division Division I governance structure was approved by the NCAA board in August. That structure is still in a comment period and can be overridden, but is expected to pass.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...utonomy-members-to-meet-at-15-ncaa-convention

Reaction Score
AAC should stand outside in white a la the Guilty Remnant:

Bq1czYjIIAAbJvb.jpg:large

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if UConn ups their required donation for some season ticket holders in the near future. I just got a phone call solicitation about the Boise game. They were going through accounts who've had tickets in the past, but didn't buy Boise tix. This year, I get my ticket through a buddy so we can get the blue parking passes and all sit together at the games, so I haven't used my account for football.

Well long story short, the other reason they were calling was to hit me up for a donation because, "tuition is increasing and some student athletes who deserve it, can't get into school." Translation: full cost of attendance is coming and UConn currently can't afford it. That's right, John Q. Donor is expected to make up the yearly shortfall between FCOA and the media contracts. Welcome to the new normal for UConn athletics.

pj

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd
CBSSports.com
September 10, 2014 12:26 pm ET

The 80 voting members in the new autonomy structure will meet formally to begin historic governance change Jan. 17 during the 2015 NCAA Convention in Washington, D.C.

It is believed that is the first time representatives from the 65 Power 5 conferences and 15 voting athletes will meet in person.

I'm hoping for a brawl.

6a010534a3c8d0970c011570baa9f7970c-pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member