Carson Cross Selected in 24th Round #719 by Pirates | The Boneyard

Carson Cross Selected in 24th Round #719 by Pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice recognition...
The Pirates have done a nice job in the last 2 years mining CT. Last year Ludwig P from Yale in 10th rd. This year Kozikowski P Avon Old Farms 8th, Hirsch P New Haven 22nd and Cross in 24th.

Reaction Score
He can't possibly want to leave as a pick in the 24th round no? I am being selfish here and would love to see him back next year. Hoping he can improve his draft position similar to what L.J. did this year.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised Ferriter didn't get drafted. I'm sure he will sign with someone.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Chris Jones already tweeted that he spoke to Cross and he will be returning next year.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones already tweeted that he spoke to Cross and he will be returning next year.

Yes he did...

Chris Jones (@JonesCcj)
6/8/13, 4:53 PM
Talking to Carson he will be back next year with Huskies.

Smart move IMO... Chance to be staff ace.

Reaction Score
Yes he did...

Chris Jones (@JonesCcj)
6/8/13, 4:53 PM
Talking to Carson he will be back next year with Huskies.

Smart move IMO... Chance to be staff ace.
From the sounds of it, sounds like we should have all of Cross, Marzi, Tabakman and Ward back next year if only Cross was drafted and said he is coming back already?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
From the sounds of it, sounds like we should have all of Cross, Marzi, Tabakman and Ward back next year if only Cross was drafted and said he is coming back already?

Yes that is what it looks like. Allow me to reiterate. Just for fun.

We return starting pitchers with weekend experience with ERAs of 2.44, 2.57, 3.59 and 3.75. And the two in the 3.00 range both have had seasons in the 2.00 range before. Not as good as Barnes/Nappo/Ward in 2011 but a damn good stuff by any measure.

Reaction Score
Being a redshirt soph., Cross is in a very good spot to be drafted next year and the year after hopefully breaking into the top 10 rounds. If I was the Pirates I would sell him on the fact that he could be in Low A and on his way up to High A by this time next year.

Reaction Score
Yes that is what it looks like. Allow me to reiterate. Just for fun.

We return starting pitchers with weekend experience with ERAs of 2.44, 2.57, 3.59 and 3.75. And the two in the 3.00 range both have had seasons in the 2.00 range before. Not as good as Barnes/Nappo/Ward in 2011 but a damn good stuff by any measure.

It would not surprise me if Tabakman starts out next year in the bullpen as the closer. He spent a good portion of this season in the bullpen having some success before replacing Ward as a weekend starter. The UConn bullpen is being hit hard by graduation, with Feehan, Butler, Moore, Jolin and even Catalina all gone. Mahoney and Slade are the only relievers returning with any experience. You can pencil in Cross and Marzi as two of the weekend starters. It would seem that with Ward (if he returns to form), Kay, Colletti and others, Penders will have plenty of talented options to fill out the weekend rotation aside from Tabakman. Like I've said before, Tabakman is going to have an important role on next year's club, either as a weekend starter or as the closer. The fact that he has had success in the relief role points him in that direction, at least to me.

Reaction Score
I would say weekend starters - Cross, Marzi, Ward
Mid week starters - Colletti, Incoming Freshmen, Nastasi?
Closer - Tabakman
Mid relief - Mahoney, Slade, then an array of guys (Radue, Healey, Freshman)
Anyone know how good Niego was who I guess they redshirted this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom