Capital One Cup Standings through April 9th | The Boneyard

Capital One Cup Standings through April 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The UConn Men are ranked #2 and the UConn Women are ranked #1.

The complete rankings can be found HERE:

Capital_One_Standings.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The crazy thing I heard about those standings is the basketball national champ gets 60 points. If the Women at at 80 points, how much was given for the Field Hockey Championship? Seems the sports are weighted pretty differently. If you are going to have a Cup for all sports, why not weigh them all the same?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Director's Cup basically does that, but it's kind of ridiculous.

West Virginia gets nearly as many points in Rifle as we did for winning men's hoop.

Reaction Score
The crazy thing I heard about those standings is the basketball national champ gets 60 points. If the Women at at 80 points, how much was given for the Field Hockey Championship? Seems the sports are weighted pretty differently. If you are going to have a Cup for all sports, why not weigh them all the same?

The Director's Cup is what gives the better view of the athletics department comparisons. The Capital One Cup is an ESPN creation to promote only the sports it wants to show on its networks, and it artificially props up the SEC. The SEC is a hot property of ESPN. Go figure. Basketball is one of the sports ESPN wants to show. With UConn winning both men's and women's, UConn will show very well in the Capital One Cup. Congratulations.

Reaction Score
The Capital One Cup highlights the sports people care about.

The Director's Cup highlights what's important to passive aggressive nitwits from lower mid-Atlantic states.

I can assure you that there isn't an Athletics Director at the Division I level of the NCAA that cares about the Capital One Cup. ESPN is trying to get them to show interest in it, but not yet.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the Director's Cup may seem more fair due to more equivalent weight, but some sports have very little participation across the landscape.

On the other hand, it's not these school's fault that others can't field a team in particular sports..

With the Capital One Cup, I just don't understand how Ice Hockey gets less weight than Lacrosse - both are regionalized sports. On the men's side, Lacrosse and Hockey have nearly the same number of participants. I understand the argument on the women's side - more lacrosse programs than hockey. Maybe this has changed, I noticed during last year's Capital One Cup run - haven't checked for an updated scoring system.

Football shouldn't be weighed until there is an actual playoff & I mean a real one - like 6-8 teams, though 8 is the best for the foreseeable future. But I think it's now factored into the Director's Cup. Upon first glance, the inclusion of FBS into the Director's Cup seems similar to Capital One's structure.

But I do suggest looking at how the Cup is setup, structurally speaking, it's certainly better, more inclusive than Capital One. For example, if your school places in an NCAA tournament, even if below the top 30, you still earn points.

It would be cool to see rankings weighted on actual participation per sport. Thus a school like UConn would rank much higher if not penalized for less sports than a school like Penn State or OSU - schools with more programs.

SPECIAL NOTES: Notice Md is in the top 10 of each sex, Capital One. As far back as I can remember, they've always been an underrated athletic dept & often top 2-3 overall in the ACC. The ACC will be haunted by neglecting their membership over the years - haunted. Outside of basketball & recent success in football, Lville gets a lot of hype for a school that only has 3 NCAA titles. Moreover, Pitt, ND & Syracuse all have less NCAA titles than Md. PITT HAS ZERO NCAA titles - my God - something I just learned today. At least Rutgers has one NCAA title.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well, Pitt has a least one national title in Ultimate Frisbee. I believe they have more than one there... http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2012...frisbee-national-title-championship-wisconsin

And we need to give Michigan some points for yesterday's Mens Gymnastics championship.

Go Blue.

You also realize Neb is going for another Bowling title tonight: they've got a great shot due to their starting 3: The Jesus, Ishmael and Roy Munson.

Pins and needles time for me, the opening face-off is in 3 hours.

Reaction Score
You also realize Neb is going for another Bowling title tonight: they've got a great shot due to their starting 3: The Jesus, Ishmael and Roy Munson.

Pins and needles time for me, the opening face-off is in 3 hours.

Go Gophers!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Well, Pitt has a least one national title in Ultimate Frisbee. I believe they have more than one there... http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2012...frisbee-national-title-championship-wisconsin

And we need to give Michigan some points for yesterday's Mens Gymnastics championship.

Go Blue.
Ultimate Frisbee? Pshaw, UConn won back-to-back NC's in paintball. We're also pretty nasty at polo: Women's National Champions 1996, 1997, 1998, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Men's National Champions 1972, 1973, 1974; Men's Final Four 1996, 1998, 2004, 2011; MEN AND WOMEN FINAL FOUR 2009

Reaction Score
Ultimate Frisbee? Pshaw, UConn won back-to-back NC's in paintball. We're also pretty nasty at polo: Women's National Champions 1996, 1997, 1998, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Men's National Champions 1972, 1973, 1974; Men's Final Four 1996, 1998, 2004, 2011; MEN AND WOMEN FINAL FOUR 2009
What about all the equestrian stuff?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn would win the puppetry national championship every year

Reaction Score

Field hockey champ is worth 20 points.

Reaction Score

Polo success should be an auto qualifier for "Public Ivy."

Reaction Score
The Capital One Cup highlights the sports people care about.

The Director's Cup highlights what's important to passive aggressive nitwits from lower mid-Atlantic states.

Hooray....FSU is #1 in men's and #7 in women's in the Capitol One Cup....in the sports people care about.

vs #7 in the Directors Cup...or sports that us passive aggressive folks love so much.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Rutgers would have won a NC in water polo but their ponies drown.

Reaction Score
Rutgers would have won a NC in water polo but their ponies drown.

Likewise, Scarlet Knights tend to spend most of their energy just staying at the water level.

Reaction Score
Hooray....FSU is #1 in men's and #7 in women's in the Capitol One Cup....in the sports people care about.

vs #7 in the Directors Cup...or sports that us passive aggressive folks love so much.

Well hopefully the most underachieving baseball team in NCAA history wins it all instead of choking on chicken bones, then someone outside Stanford may win this thing ;) And I am talking Director's Cup here since it now includes football.

I mean it's gotta hurt knowing that a program like Minnesota is 3 for 5 in their CWS appearances, plus we own you in basketball :)

But seriously, good luck to FSU, I'd love to see a non-Pac12 team win this damn thing.

Reaction Score
But to be fair to the Director's Cup, Indiana, the Wheel of Fortune School, nearly won the Capital One Cup last year - I'm not sure they're an ALL THAT A. Dept. So Cap1 has its flaws.

pj

Reaction Score

Clearly, FSU kept us out of the ACC because they were fearful of competition in the Capital One Cup.

Reaction Score
Likewise, Scarlet Knights tend to spend most of their energy just staying at the water level.

I've mentioned before that it was, and continues to be, hard for me to take pleasure in the number of times RU aims projectiles at it's own feet. I'm really interested in the continuing fallout from the AD's latest faux pas. A New York Post columnist called her out for wishing for the demise of the Newark Star Ledger and, therefore, unemployment for those remaining after a recent 160 person layoff. It turns out that an RU journalism major recorded and dispersed the AD's comments.

Almost immediately, columnist from the other New York daily papers teed-off on the AD for her tasteless and insensitive comments. Star Ledger sports' reporting has always been an important part of the New York area sports' media, and the print media, specifically, is sensitive about job security.

But mostly, the RU AD broke the one unbreakable rule of being a sports' figure in the New York market. Never get into a pissing contest with the New York sports' media; especially the print media. It is un-winnable. Ask Tom Seaver or Bobby Bonds, Sr. or Bobby Valentine or other prominent figures that have been run out of town.

Reaction Score
Well hopefully the most underachieving baseball team in NCAA history wins it all instead of choking on chicken bones, then someone outside Stanford may win this thing ;) And I am talking Director's Cup here since it now includes football.

I mean it's gotta hurt knowing that a program like Minnesota is 3 for 5 in their CWS appearances, plus we own you in basketball :)

But seriously, good luck to FSU, I'd love to see a non-Pac12 team win this damn thing.

Yeah...it can be frustrating not to win it all...even if you have been to the final eight 21 times.....

Over the past 24 years, no team in America has finished in the top 10 and won 50+ games more times than Florida State. Since 2000, Florida State has the best winning percentage (.736) and the most victories (691) of any other team in the nation.

But the NC has indeed been elusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline