Can You Stand One More Today? | The Boneyard

Can You Stand One More Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Let me be specific, not every male hates women’s basketball. Not every male who doesn’t like women’s basketball is a hater. But it’s been my experience that most males who hate women’s basketball haven’t paid enough attention to the women’s game to really know what they’re hating."

A small bit of a pretty good piece.

http://www.dailydemocrat.com/article/NI/20160329/SPORTS/160329919

O'kay, over and out.

Reaction Score
Most men that hate the women's game are younger and all they have ever watched is the high flying dunking and shooting the 3 basketball. Not much team work and all the dancing around and celebrating every shot they take. I personally love the game of basketball but can not watch the boys college or pro's any more. College teams don't have the players that stay four years so it's hard to get to know and watch them. The pro's is a joke, most of the time it is one on one and shoot. I will say that the Warriors and Spurs are the only teams that play together as a team and I can watch them. There are some very good girls teams out there but only UConn plays with such beauty and execution. So again I say we are so lucky to have Geno and so many young ladies that buy into his idea of how the game should be played.

Reaction Score
Indeed! It amazes me that my two basketball-loving sons (both in their 20s) can cheer dunk after mindless dunk on Sports Center and yet ridicule me for my appreciation of high (actually, the very highest) level of skill and intelligence manifested in the best of WCBB. I have to believe it has more to do with the construction of the adolescent/early adult masculine identity than with their lack of intelligence or aesthetic appreciation; at least, I hope that's the case.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well said.
Let me just guess: there are more males then females in BY board?

Interesting question. I suspect that is right, because since we males were just little itsy bitsy ones unwrapping gum for the baseball card we have sports inculcated in us, while the female gender has been working on the practicalities of life and for the over 40 or 50 set Title 9 did not exist to work it's magic for women's athletics.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Indeed! It amazes that my two basketball-loving sons (both in their 20s) can cheer dunk after mindless dunk on Sports Center and yet ridicule me for my appreciation of high (actually, the very highest) level of skill and intelligence manifested in the best of WCBB. I have to believe it has more to do with the construction of the adolescent/early adult masculine identity than with their lack of intelligence or aesthetic appreciation; at least, I hope that's the case.

Didn't I see them on "World's Dumbest ______" working on a dunk with a propane tank and trampoline last Wednesday night? Yup, testosterone explains a lot. Don't lose hope.

Reaction Score
Profiles contain gender information..administrators, is it against boneyard rules to reveal the overall gender makeup of the boneyard?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Profiles contain gender information..administrators, is it against boneyard rules to reveal the overall gender makeup of the boneyard?
I actually took a "census" years ago. The women's board is predominantly male, over 60, and a non-UConn grad. The men's board is also predominantly male, but under 35, and more are UConn grads than not. Maybe I'll do another census in the off-season - could be interesting.

Reaction Score
Indeed! It amazes me that my two basketball-loving sons (both in their 20s) can cheer dunk after mindless dunk on Sports Center and yet ridicule me for my appreciation of high (actually, the very highest) level of skill and intelligence manifested in the best of WCBB. I have to believe it has more to do with the construction of the adolescent/early adult masculine identity than with their lack of intelligence or aesthetic appreciation; at least, I hope that's the case.

Don't be so hard on them. That is what they think the game of basketball is, in much the same way that young adults think baseball is a game where every pitcher throws 95 and Mike Trout is the greatest hitter despite striking out 125 times in a season. The game of basketball has changed drastically because of the three-point shot and the non-enforcement of dribbling violations, plus your sons never saw the 1970 Knicks play basketball. A game predicated on moving the ball and enforcing the defensive help line is found only in women's basketball today, which is why so many men over 60 (like myself) love to watch it. It also doesn't hurt that two generations of fathers have now watched their daughters play a game that was previously not open to young women.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So - having read lots and lots on this subject here is my take:
People who hate on Uconn do so because they play beautiful basketball but have no competition. OK, they want competition so they watch women's basketball if it weren't for Uconn being so good, which is why they are glued to the TV all summer long watching the WNBA which is even more skilled than Uconn and full of competition. Well, no, they don't actually bother watching the WNBA because, um, well, ah ...

OK so they are only interested in the college scene, I mean rah rah, and the old college sweater. So, they probably don't watch Baylor and ND and South Carolina, because they are so good that they never lose either unless they play each other or Uconn, and it just isn't good enough competition - I mean they make the FF every year. Oh, two of them lost in the S16, and the other in the elite eight! Wow, those must have been really exciting games! Thank goodness for watch ESPN and the chance to see those really well played competitive games on tape! Well ... um, no ... uh, the surprise is gone cause they already know the outcome, and they have some yard work or something or maybe ESPN is replaying that great world series game from 199_. But, they are surely going to watch the second semi-final - how exciting, two cinderella teams meeting in their first ever final fours - no idea who will win, and the competition should be fierce! Ummm, well, maybe, if they've already seen the Gilligan's Island episode that is on that night. Yeah, right!

They really just don't want to watch women's basketball, but ... maybe some beach volleyball - those women sure do compete ... I mean I know there are only like two women's teams that win, that US pair and that Brazilian pair but ...

Reaction Score
I actually took a "census" years ago. The women's board is predominantly male, over 60, and a non-UConn grad. The men's board is also predominantly male, but under 35, and more are UConn grads than not. Maybe I'll do another census in the off-season - could be interesting.

It would be interesting to know how many of those "over 60" "nonU-Conn grad" males had daughters who played basketball and dreamed of going to UConn. I'm willing to bet the percentage is quite high.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Most men that hate the women's game are younger and all they have ever watched is the high flying dunking and shooting the 3 basketball. Not much team work and all the dancing around and celebrating every shot they take. I personally love the game of basketball but can not watch the boys college or pro's any more. College teams don't have the players that stay four years so it's hard to get to know and watch them. The pro's is a joke, most of the time it is one on one and shoot. I will say that the Warriors and Spurs are the only teams that play together as a team and I can watch them. There are some very good girls teams out there but only UConn plays with such beauty and execution. So again I say we are so lucky to have Geno and so many young ladies that buy into his idea of how the game should be played.
Well, some teams do what you're saying but most don't. I enjoy watching the UConn men and their opponents. Yes, they dunk, but while you do get some breast-beating, most of the times if teams stop to celebrate a dunk the other team has the ball up the court and is scoring on them. The pace of the game is much different, strategies are different, because men are faster and stronger, and it's just fun to watch. The UConn teams lately have been really appealing as personalities and I find it easy to root for them.

Saying all of men's basketball is unwatchable due to a few showboat plays is no better than what critics of women's basketball have been saying. Like anything, there are good and the bad - let's not paint all men's teams with the same brush.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Just for your database Nan - I'm a CT native, displaced by military service and life in general. Been gone for 40 years but UConn is my connection to home. Still have a lot of family in Ct and several alums in the family (sister, cousins, nephews, and nieces) but I actually matriculated at Central in the mid-70's. I lurk on all three boards (football, MBB and WBB), mostly post on football because that's what I know best (and love the most, truth be told). In a military environment, I'm surrounded by SEC, B1G, B12, and ACC fans; but I represent. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom