Can We Try Again? | The Boneyard

Can We Try Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I'm still interested in hearing from posters about experiences they have about what recruiters say when trying to get a prospect to come to their program.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I have no experience being recruited,but,I had gone to school with a professional football player,a professional baseball player that gave me some insight as to what goes on.Some coaches try to promise anything that the person wants to hear,to get them to sign on with their institution.There is a lot of pressure to get top talent,and win,and some coaches get fanatical in their recruitment.One of my high school mates became all pro in the NFL(now retired),and he had the most pressure put on him where to sign.Some coaches were like a gnat,always calling or emailing. The best coaches,like Geno,where just honest and true to their words.My classmate in this case,chose Miami as his college pick,partly because there was no cake and ice cream offered to him.He had to earn his playing time,starting spot,etc.Coaches that are up front and forthright are the exception,depending on their success and history,usually.Again,Geno is one of the coaches that is totally up front and honest with each recruit from day one,and is consistent in that style.Of course his and the teams success doesn't hurt,but,there is nothing that is not done with integrity,honesty,passion,and professionalism by Geno and his staff.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In certain ways, it is a yucky business, after all you are trying to appeal to teenage girls in WBB, at least.

I think most schools that think they have a chance keep up the contact as much as is allowable (obviously, a few schools have over-done that); coaches make appearances at high school games to show their interest even after players sign.

I've never heard a lot of details. One former RU player was recruited by Georgetown, which was an attractive school for someone smart and a good player, not great, but was turned off by the then coach. Another former player didn't follow up with a high profile program that did a home visit, because the coach made a remark about drug use, which the coach probably didn't mean the way it was taken (the family might not have lived in the best neighborhood, but the player certainly didn't do drugs because of it).

A lot of other stories can be found in published material, perhaps some other BY folks can direct you. I know I read of the blimp in TBA dropping someone's LOI; the "love letters" one coach sent continuously; the photo of the team spelling a player's name out; and at RU during a fan club locker-room tour, one locker was set up with a jersey with a prospective recruits name on it (she didn't come).

While I suppose some coaches do promise the world, I think most reputable coaches are fairly honest (notice I said fairly) about your playing time prospects. What they don't tell you (and they obviously don't know) is what the future holds - i.e. you may be recruited over, etc.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
There are probably better sources, but one I remember reading was "Personal Fouls" by Peter Golenbock. It had mostly to do with Jim Valvano, but there was some pretty interesting stuff about recruiting tactics, including those of Jerry Tarkanian, or "Tark the Shark" the players referred to him, back in his glory days at UNLV.

Reaction Score
Currently reading a book by John Feinstein about the 87--88 men's college basketball season. Lots of stories about feuding coaches, recruiting visits and college basketball in general. This guy is quite a writer. Not about women's basketball but gives a good feel for recruiting and a lot of coaches that were and some who remain college basketball giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom