Can we send a couple of UConn students to the bowl game? | The Boneyard

Can we send a couple of UConn students to the bowl game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
i know more than enough students that would love to go if this happens. would definitely be in to contribute

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I've bought bowl tix for students, via the Boneyard, for a number of years. I bet some of them are of money making age nowadays and could pay it forward. I won't call any of them out but.........

Reaction Score
Last time @HuskyNan handled the money. As the matriarch of the boneyard, perhaps she will do it again? I can look into travel arrangements, etc. the packages from UConn are prohibitively expensive so in order to accommodate as many as we can, I think we should buy everything on the open market. I suggest setting up a go find me page or similar shortly to start fundraising.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
There's actually a really popular fundraising website we used to use in school called Tilt. You put in a certain amount and nobody actually gets charged unless the goal amount is received. This might be the easier route to take versus people writing checks and what not.

Reaction Score
Here's how it worked last time. We set up a contest. Students had to prove their 'worthiness'. They got one week to either write something or in one guy's case, make a video. We tacked that thread to the top of the page. We used Nan's paypal to collect the $$. WE then opened up another thread for us to vote. Total honor system on voting. I think I ended up deleting votes from people with less than 10 posts or something like that. Greatest thing was that we ended up sending four or five students. HEre's the catch. I don't have time this year to administer this thing. So if someone wants to run point on this, more power to you. I'd start with Nan however. BTW, I'm in for donating. Hope we end up in Annapolis. This was one of the winners BTW

Reaction Score
I'll donate. But if you win, please go. Last time IIRC that got ugly.
The winners went to the Fiesta Bowl no? Did we have someone back out? I remember getting my picture taken with Nan and four winners in the stadium.

Reaction Score
Should this be restricted to only Boneyarders? For instance, I notice that UConn has a somewhat active subreddit, and I bet there are some fans there, but they may not be active here. Not sure how important it is that they be a regular poster here.

Reaction Score
The winners went to the Fiesta Bowl no? Did we have someone back out? I remember getting my picture taken with Nan and four winners in the stadium.

Right but only after one kid backed out. Some people gave him a hard time and he vanished from the BY. I'm getting old, so I may not be remembering this correctly, but I thought that happened.

Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
Should this be restricted to only Boneyarders? For instance, I notice that UConn has a somewhat active subreddit, and I bet there are some fans there, but they may not be active here. Not sure how important it is that they be a regular poster here.
I'd give priority points for sure. I'd also like to expand the boneyard fan base. I'm sick of listening to @nelsonmuntz . Not really. It's entertaining.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
Right but only after one kid backed out. Some people gave him a hard time and he vanished from the BY. I'm getting old, so I may not be remembering this correctly, but I thought that happened.
something about he couldn't go without his father or something. Right?

Reaction Score
I think you're right. However, all things considered, for a contest run with anonymous posters, it went off pretty seamlessly. I was proud to be a Yarder...and those students were super stoked to be at the game. There were no scams..

Reaction Score
Count me in as well, would love to help a student get to a bowl game.

If the game is either in Annapolis or NYC, I'll buy those students (if they are of legal drinking age) a round of beers in the stadium. Logistically I don't think I could swing the bowl games in Florida or Hawaii as I am getting married next year and cash is somewhat tied up in that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'd love to contribute. Let me know when and where and what the goal will be. Also plan on buying and donating some tickets through the UConn site. We all remember how badly we were crucified for buying tickets from StubHub and not the UConn ticket office. I guess we're the only fanbase not allowed to save money on tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom