Can South Carolina Take Next Step | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can South Carolina Take Next Step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Um... did you even bother reading it? Obviously not.

Literally every single UCONN fan who offered an opinion had SC in the top 5. Some as high as #2. So why don't you read the posts again.

With regards to the previous season, SC had a cupcake schedule - playing maybe 1 or 2 top 10 teams (Tenn), who I think they lost to that season, they backed into a 1 seed because they played no one who was really any good. They flamed out in the sweet 16 and I think it was fair to say that maybe they were "given" a 1 seed, but they were not really even a top 8 team (1-2 seeds).

As for SC being a truly elite team, They lost 2 starters. I don't care that Coates and Wilson will become the new starters next year - they lost 1 great and 1 good player and replace them with one good guard. I'm not sure if SC will be better than last year - probably a little bit. BUT they have a small window. Last year and this year - the only 2 years they have even a remote shot to beat UCONN.

Given that we have the best recruiting class coming in, and given we already landed the top PG from the following class (Dangerfield), UCONN is reloading. SC is not. At least not yet. They need to recruit more similar to programs like ND where they land 1 top 10, 1 top 20 and 1 top 30 kid literally almost every year. Until then, they have a window right now and really I don't see them really challenging UCONN this season either...

Oh sure there will be a ton of hype around the game. But SC just doesn't have the talent UCONN has...
Eric---Recruiting any player at any position (normally) is a two year delay in being ready for prime time games. Dangerfield, if I'm not mistaken, is 2017. If she had the opportunity to play behind Jefferson for a year she'd be a great point guard the following year. Rare is there a player (DT almost) was a go from the start--but her ego was a huge as Texas and that's what it takes to lead Ct. But your conjecture of why USC needs some top talent- is to me excellent.-. But USC has loads of talent now. Challenging UConn next year except for the AAC Minus Fla I think (maybe hope) the out of AAC games will offer UConn good competition--I never see any season as a 39 and 0.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield is 2016 so she will not have tutelage from Moriah..... she will have to learn from Nurse and others......

Reaction Score
Yeah if the guards can feed the studs down low why can't you guys expect greatness next year.... and one more thing I thought of .... you have a step up on rival Tenn..... cause as everyone knows Holly doesn't give offense much credence.... so by definition that helps your defense.....

Last year your first time in the bright lights .... time to take next step this coming year..... for my part.... i hope my TV package out west here will incorporate more of your games.....
I'm not a fan of Holly---Diamond DeShields among others will provide instant offense--probably not much defense. I do get the SEC games on the SEC channel on Directv--and watch a number of them.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
ditto reno! I also wouldn't mind crushing Tenn next year. Can't stand Holly either. Just a crony of Pat. Saw on espn i believe when they were showing Diamond. Holly was sucking up to her and to her father big time! I have no respect for her!

Ha!! A crony of Pat?? When it came to integrity, Coach Summitt was always held in high regard in that matter. As for Holly, she could stand to be a lot more fierce on the sidelines. So, I'm a little confused as to why you "can't stand" Holly.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I think South Carolina has already taken that next step. The questions is, can they remain there?? Can Dawn continue to build this team into NC title contenders year in and year out? I think both answers are a resounding yes!! They came within one point of being in the national championship game this year. With that said, they will still have to deal with a very strong Tennessee team for at least the next three years, so Dawn will have her hands full making sure that she can keep bringing in those top ten recruits every year..

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think South Carolina has already taken that next step. The questions is, can they remain there?? Can Dawn continue to build this team into NC title contenders year in and year out? I think both answers are a resounding yes!! They came within one point of being in the national championship game this year. With that said, they will still have to deal with a very strong Tennessee team for at least the next three years, so Dawn will have her hands full making sure that she can keep bringing in those top ten recruits every year..

I actually think it's a great thing that SC is becoming a really strong program and Tennessee is returning to that level. It doesn't allow for either program to slack off, keeping everybody on their toes. Pushes both schools to continue to improve facilities, recruit harder, and play better... plus, when you have Kentucky waiting on the sidelines to steal the spotlight you can never really sleep well at night. This type of competition will force SC and Tennessee to continue to get better to stay above the rest.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Personally, I hope Geno snags Cox, McCoy, or both.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
This part of the article is false:
" Why hasn’t Staley signed another top recruiting class? Because she doesn’t have to.
South Carlonia formally extended offers to the following Kalani Brown, Beatrice Mompremier and Evelyn Akhator.
They also extendd formal offers to Guards/Wings Te'A Cooper, Destinee Walker, Diamond DeShields-actually visited, and #2 in the class Asia Durr.
More accurate to say Dawn was trying to recruit as hard as possible was not as successful as she wanted to be with the class of 2015.
This part of the article is a confusing:
"Wilson could play in Welch’s power forward location or play as a hybrid guard."
When a guard is refereed to as a Hybrid that is usually the ability to play both PG & SG-Neither is Wilson. As long as the word Guard is associated with Wilson playing NCAA Women's Basketball South Carolina will continue to have a self-inflicted headache IMO.

I think A'ja will start at the 4 and play some 3. She definitely won't play the 1 or the 2.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
IMO Wilson is not a wing either by any definition. What I don't understand is South Carolina's refusal to end this Wilson is a Gurad/Wing charade and tell her, bluntly if necessary, you are a F/PF occasionally a C. Her confusion dates back to July 2012 when her AAU coach, Jerome Dickson complained about her USA basketball experience stating that she was “misused as a post player and she was really a guard”. From that pronounced by Dickson through today Wilson has labeled herself a guard. Surprising this charade continues today and even Dawn at the beginning of this season started Wilson at the Guard position-she was horrible. She is neither guard nor wing. A wing would have attempted more than 3 ThreePoint shots on the season.
Different energy (topic) for our South Carolina posters. I saw where the South Carolina Women’s basketball team was honored by the State House. A very positive and deserving honor. http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/042215aaf.html
Has the team and or the University expressed a stance on the removal of the confederate flag from the state capital? It would seem to me that given the national brand that Dawn is trying to build that this specific item (confederate flag over state capital) might be counterproductive. For example, if South Carolina wanted to host a regional final in the future this might be an obstacle similar to the idiotic threat to common sense and decency that arose from Indy recently.

The City of Columbia sued the State unsuccessfully to move that flag to a museum, which is where it belongs. Numerous USC coaches have expressed the desire for it to be moved, also. The support for it comes mostly from rural areas and the ultra conservative Upstate third of South Carolina. I cannot recall any players making statements about it.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Holly---Diamond DeShields among others will provide instant offense--probably not much defense. I do get the SEC games on the SEC channel on Directv--and watch a number of them.

Yeah Holly just seems to be a tough fit for the LVs, and you would think the opposite after 40 years with the program. I see her trying to win games the same way Pat did, perhaps as a result of sitting at her side for 30 plus years..... but the game has changed

I just do not think she is a picture of confidence, where I would think the opposite after such a career. She does not establish her will, is not assertive enough - either with her players or with her system (if she indeed has one). This causes a lack of belief and trust in her players. Sounds like pop psychology but I have seen too much of the same thing in the 4 years (3 yrs plus 1 as step in coach for Pat) she has been at the helm.

For her first couple of years, she let Meaghan Simmons be a run and gun "horse" player on the floor, not involving her teammates, and leading to scoring and emotional undulations in LV games. Many Tenn fans had explained that this is due to others not wanting to shoot the ball..... and that is the fault of the coaching staff..... all problems on the floor - 100% of them - are traced to coaching, because they and only they have the ability to orchestrate change in that behavior which is wrong. I have witnessed Holly either not make tactical changes during games, or bow to the suggestions and wishes of her players. She admittedly didn't focus on the offense at all until well into this season. A 2 minute look at any one of her games demonstrate the problems this team has functioning as a team. Because she has the horses to do the job. Look at her players one by one..... and their backgrounds and credentials.... and you will see they can match up with the best in the country.

I have nothing against Holly..... just my opinion that the training wheels are still on even after 40 years in coaching..... and I see Diamond as being de facto coach possibly next year...... I expect to see the same post game pressers after big games.... "we will have to learn from this and go forward" in response to the same scenarios..... "we just came out flat".... "we need to have more energy"....

Holly seems to be a wonderful person, and has had success recruiting certainly.... Credit where credit is due..... We will see how she leads the program going forward.....

Reaction Score
VFLfan - Hah! Yeah yeah.... no beatdown intended..... you see EVEN I want to see the Vols return to relevance!

Reaction Score
I wasn't going to say anything in this thread about the LadyVols since its about our fellow SEC up and comer USC but since we were dragged into it :rolleyes:....

The comments about Holly and her coaching abilities baffle me. I mean come on the woman got an injury-ridden team to the EE game this year....who else done that with so much firepower on the bench. I am the type of person who puts alot of blame on the players instead of the coach. Holly IMO had a good offensive scheme for a good part of the year...especially after losing Izzy. We just have players who werent consistent at making shots. Our guard game was very pedestrian and Holly knew this, hence why she played inside-out when Harrison was available. Holly's money was on Izzy and Basharra and quite frankly it worked when Izzy was healthy, except the ND game in which she played horrible. Izzy was the catalyst for Holly's offensive scheme and it won her games when Izzy was on the floor.

Guard Play- I saw Jordan Reynolds drive into the paint at will only to miss an 8 ft jumper all throughout the year, or Andraya Carter getting a wide open 3 only to air ball. Ariel was our only 3pt threat and she wasnt exactly automatic from out there. Her defense was very weak which is why guards always have a good game against us, but she was the only one hitting outside shots for us, so she had to be in the game.

Another thing i tend to hear from Vol fans as well is how Holly isnt "tough" enough or sometimes she looks "clueless" on the sideline. I mean what is the woman supposed to do on the sideline?? She argues calls, she has gotten techs, she calls plays, I've seen her live in person at the SEC tournament get in Ariel's rear about not playing defense. She does the same thing I've seen Muffet, Geno, Dawn, Walz all do. Some people act like they've been to Holly's practices, they act like they hear what she says in the huddle all the time, they act like she wants to coddle her players ALL the time yet have probably never been around the team. Holly's just a postive person in general and doesnt have to display any outlandish antics on the sideline to give the notion that she isnt "tough."

But hey everyone is entitled to there own opinion about Holly. I for one think she's done a remarkable job with what she's been dealth throughout her 3 years. Next year hopefully with a healthy roster and superstar type player (which you need IMO if you want to win championships) in DeShields Holly can finally prove alot of critics wrong. Diamond tweeted "How many coaches can take their team to an Elite 8 in just their 3 year of coaching...ill wait?!?!" Holly and the girls know what people say about Holly and i think next year she has a chance to really prove herself. She'll have NC type talent...these past few years I havent been confident in an actual NC, UCONN has had all the right pieces and a "superstar-type" player in Stewart and honestly KML as well. They've played very cohesive team basketball and its quite entertaining and for that I can appreciate UCONN, but next year if Holly is able to pull in Akhator the LadyVols IMO has a legit shot to get back to the FF and challenge UCONN, but then everyone will say "It was Diamond"..."Diamond runs the team" "Diamond got em there" Well of course people...who wouldnt expect Diamomd to be itching to get back on the court and come out like gangbusters?!? Holly will be just as instrumental in the ride to the NC as Diamond.

O.A.N i think USC will most definitley has what it takes to make it a step further next year. An improved and "in the starting line-up" Wilson and Coates will prove to be a tough matchup for anyone in the country. I really wish Dawn would have started the both throughout the season. They'll miss Welch's toughness but Jatarie White may be able to fill that void. That girl was really good in high school if im not mistaken was sickly throughout the year, so an improved White will certainly help.

Reaction Score
CAN USC (east) take the next step? I think they will definitely be better next year. Cuevas will be better, and both Coates and Wilson are already better than the players they will be replacing. If their recruiting continues to be good (no reason to doubt Staley on that count) I think they will continue to improve. That said, there is still a large gap between the USC of 2014-15 and UCONN. I also disagree with the person who said she has to recruit nationally: There is so much talent in NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, LA and possibly TX that if she just picks up the best in the region she will be in good shape. So I think they will over the next couple of years become an elite team (I count ND as an elite team, despite the last two title games)

Reaction Score
You are right, it was a USC thread….. and I saw a reference or two to Holly, and felt compelled to chime in….. I probably shouldn’t have…. But now that I did, and you offer up good copy on which to comment, I will take the opportunity to do so…..
I really am baffled that you are baffled by my questioning Holly’s abilities…. And you may be right, she may be doing a spectacular job…. Mine is only an opinion…… let me respond first to a couple of things you have said here
You cite her success in bringing “injury riddled team to the Elite 8”…. I do grant you that positionally you were hampered by a shortage in the frontcourt, but in that Elite 8 game vs. Gonzaga…. You were a #2 seed and they were #11. And as for the “injury riddled team”, Tennessee STILL had 6 All Americans suiting up versus only 1 for Gonzaga. And I am assuming you think all should celebrate such a monumental victory. Again opinion, but I just was not impressed.
“I am the type of person who puts alot of blame on the players instead of the coach”. I am the other side of this argument. I blame the coaching staff. I like to cite W Edwards Deming, the guy who lifted up Japanese business companies a generation ago like Sony and Panasonic. He said if there is any problem going on in a company, it is most assuredly management’s fault, because they have 100% control to change it. Much the same on a basketball team. If Ariel doesn’t want to play defense sit her down. If Simmons wants to play one on one hoops, sit her down too. I think a coach should expect excellence….. in fact demand it….. players will not be perfect, but if they are not covering some of the basics of the game, they should not be rewarded with playing time.

“Holly IMO had a good offensive scheme for a good part of the year” Wow…. You must be talking about the last part of the year because I heard her say in December or January that she hadn’t even worked on or focused on offense up to that point in the season. Offense has never been her strong suit, and even most Tenn backers will admit that I think….. LVs have to, for instance, find a way to score more than 48 vs. Maryland.
“We just have players who werent consistent at making shots” … I think this is a byproduct of a well oiled offense. A refined offense will lead to easier shots. And while that is not the whole thing, your shooting percentage will definitely improve if your coaching staff is commited to teaching offense. Tennessee is admittedly heavy on defense coaching, not emphasizing the teachings of offense.
So anyway I think, my opinion only, that coaching in Knoxville must get better. I have gone on here long enough…. So I will not cite examples to buttress my point….. Sorry for stomping on USC thread…. I shall take note in future! I certainly would like the excitement of playing in the tournament again. It would be great…..

Reaction Score
CAN USC (east) take the next step? I think they will definitely be better next year. Cuevas will be better, and both Coates and Wilson are already better than the players they will be replacing...

I agree with a lot of mudcat's comments . This is a very young talented team with young players who will be stronger, better and more assertive next year. On the court, consistent long range shooting to stretch the floor for their bigs will continue to be a problem.

I think that the biggest improvement will have to be Staley herself. I saw inconsistency defensively, inconsistent intensity and an inefficient offense too frequently last season. Can she create a culture of consistent excellence to SC? Can she bring more discipline to the court? Can she get her players to play at a high level from beginning to end? Can she bring more discipline to their offense?

Reaction Score
Yes, CLE802A you are so right.... my bad and I have put my muzzle on with not only commenting about Holly but other big name coaches who I just do not think are up to snuff.....

Good luck this year..... I love watching Tiffany create space for herself, and the USC bigs work around the basket. It looks to be you vs. Tenn again for it all...... if A&M and KY stay quiet..... it looks like you 2 have a year or 2 window before they return again, to previous levels or not.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
ETT - For my part on ESPN Top 25 thread..... I have you handicapped at #4 ..... I respect your program and think you have a good inside out combination..... much like USC does for that matter..... had you rated high last year as well.....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT - For my part on ESPN Top 25 thread..... I have you handicapped at #4 ..... I respect your program and think you have a good inside out combination..... much like USC does for that matter..... had you rated high last year as well.....

I knew I liked you.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
This is one of the unpredictable parts (which DobbsRover cannot grasp in the other thread regarding Charlie Creme and predictions). You cannot predict your regions, draw, or matchups.
Ah but of course the all-knowing and self-proclaimed top expert on everything WCBB and DevilsDennish has the prescience to know what would happen for games that never happened, because he is the all-wise Cam. No of course Duke men could never have beaten Ky in 2010, because although as he says nothing is too predictable, he absolutely knows that it is true that Duke men were going down, and all of his Dookie followers naturally agree with him. And just like Duke in 2010 could never have beaten KY, we all know that the Louisville could never beat Baylor in 2013 because although there is some unpredictability in WCBB, everyone knew just like the Great Cam that a Cards' win there couldn't happen. Or did you predict such an outcome along with say Dayton's ride this year, being who you are?

Yes Cam it is indeed true as you so wisely point out that nothing is ever predictable, so that when almost all the ESPN experts predict that the FF will be all #1 seed teams, they are indeed very wise. And when Charlie ranks 16 teams preseason that include 11 S16 teams just like the final 16 poll from the year before could produce, that indeed does indeed show his true brilliance, as you have proclaimed. Average results equal brilliance for you when you so say so.

There are many unpredictable things in this world, but the visits of French-dropping pomposities from the Den at this time of year is all too predictable. But two years ago you at least had Creme touting Duke as the #2 team for 2013-14 to strut with. Tough about that Round 2 flame-out that year, but with Duke I guess things are either too predictable or totally unpredictable, depending on how you view them.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I see DobbsRover lack of reading comprehension skills has found its way to a second thread. But please feel free to ignore facts, evidence, or basketball knowledge, in order to stand by your proclamations.

Nothing like coming up with your point, then trying to go back and find support. Unfortunately, DobbsRover, it does not work that way. But good try.

And average results most definitely do not equal brilliance. But you fail to grasp the concept of varying degress, instead choosing to use more formulaic grades in academia and applying it to the world of sports predictions.

I have already shredded your argument. So you, being average, most definitely does not equal brilliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom