Can I get an Amen? | The Boneyard

Can I get an Amen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if anyone else shares my derision of a play that seems to occur a lot: a ball is going out of bounds and a player lunges for it and throws it blindly back on court.

It is pointless and dangerous. The ball is thrown to the other team with some regularity, the defense has no chance to set up, the player is off the court out of the play and often stands a fair chance of going ass over teakettle with the concomitant chance of injury. It's even worse when you're at the opponent's end.

If there's time to get there and scope out where to throw the ball, sure. But if your back is to the court -- LET IT GO! and set up to defend the in-bounds play.

Reaction Score
Or a hallelujah for calling a time out on a held ball or going out of bounds with the ball? There are times when the possession may be worth it, but you've also just cost the team a time out. And as we learned last year against Notre Dame, those time outs can be very expensive at the end of a close game...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'll give an Amen. I saw some really stupid examples on TV this past weekend. I always thought it was a rule to never do it under your own basket, but someone did. Unfortunately (for them).

Unfortunately, you cannot usually call a time out on these plays. If a player is not established in-bounds, then the refs are not supposed to grant a time out. Naturally, I saw a play over the weekend where the ref did grant the time-out, but that is the exception.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I understand why it happens sometimes as a player commits to trying for the ball and then up being in more trouble than they expected but is already committed. And it is less 'dangerous' in terms of giving an easy basket on your offensive end, but with everything happening you probably aren't thinking offensive/defensive end at the moment you throw it back in play. But yes ... Amen.

(I also think it is probably a fifty/fifty proposition so ...)
(And my favorite is when a player goes all out to save the ball, but it has already bounced on the line, been ruled out, and been awarded to the player's team anyway as it went out off the other team.)

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if anyone else shares my derision of a play that seems to occur a lot: a ball is going out of bounds and a player lunges for it and throws it blindly back on court.

It is pointless and dangerous. The ball is thrown to the other team with some regularity, the defense has no chance to set up, the player is off the court out of the play and often stands a fair chance of going ass over teakettle with the concomitant chance of injury. It's even worse when you're at the opponent's end.

If there's time to get there and scope out where to throw the ball, sure. But if your back is to the court -- LET IT GO! and set up to defend the in-bounds play.

The unwritten rule for this is that it is worth taking a chance when you are on offense but just letting it go and defending the out of bounds play when on defense.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The unwritten rule for this is that it is worth taking a chance when you are on offense but just letting it go and defending the out of bounds play when on defense.
Yup, that is the general rule. Of course, going out of bounds on your own end you shouldn't throw it so high and far it becomes the equivalent of an outlet pass for you opponent.

Reaction Score
Imagine Stewie coming up lame with 4:32 to go while UCONN is up 36 points against SMU diving for a ball out of bounds. It seems pointless when UCONN is up big to be diving into the stands for a loose ball. I also understand it is hard to turn off hustle but is it worth risking an elbow or some other necessary joint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom