Calipari | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calipari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can you imagine this game if these 2 play? I mean poor Gonzaga ran into 3 whistles which called absolutely nothing on Duke. They're hacking away and running into people, going over the back and they get 5 fouls in the 2nd half - FIVE? How can you win a game called that unevenly?

The Duke/UK game may be played in 1 hour and 15 minutes they'll be so few whistles. :eek:

Reaction Score
Not sure why you like the guy but everyone has a right. But who cares about legends here, you root against people whom you despise. Calipari is one that many others do, like Christian Laettner kinda I guess. Partly because he does win and partly because obviously he's a total piece of crap salesman who mostly everyone but the media and some dopey parents see right through.

I'm not even sure who you're accusing me of liking.

Reaction Score
I don't even hate Duke that much anymore but it's criminal the whistle they get and the joke of a draw they get every year. When you are playing home games every NCAA as the higher seed and the refs coddle you the way they do, a final 4 should almost be a given. Karnowski and Delon Wright both picked up 2 fouls right away for breathing on someone. I respect K as a coach, it just drives me crazy how they seem to play by a different set of rules than everyone else. I'll never forget the tournament game against Maryland years ago, Jay Williams should have had 9 fouls.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure who you're accusing me of liking.

Calipari, not accusing you just don't appreciate people talking about the sleaze so at the very least, it's respect. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
I don't like him or "respect" him, I just don't get why people still get so worked up over him. He's a clown and a huckster. A successful one, but he is who he is.

Reaction Score
You want K to win a 5th, and do it against a team that's looking to go 40-0? I can only imagine how that would add to his legend.
I said in the other thread that I like how we have the same number of titles as Duke. But another way to look at it this is I like how Calhoun is 3-1 on Calipari and it would be nice when its all said and done that Calipari ends up with less than Calhoun. For me personally, UK and especially Calipari is the worst of two evils in this case.

Reaction Score
What an amazing final duke and kentucky would be - refs tripping over each other to make sure the coaches are happy. Not sure if they would even blow the whistle because they'd be so scared.

...and Dicky V would wear out his knee pads, yuck :confused:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't even hate Duke that much anymore but it's criminal the whistle they get and the joke of a draw they get every year. When you are playing home games every NCAA as the higher seed and the refs coddle you the way they do, a final 4 should almost be a given. Karnowski and Delon Wright both picked up 2 fouls right away for breathing on someone. I respect K as a coach, it just drives me crazy how they seem to play by a different set of rules than everyone else. I'll never forget the tournament game against Maryland years ago, Jay Williams should have had 9 fouls.

Its because he is constantly harping the refs
A great example was today when Few was questioning a call the beefy ref was giving him a real attitude and dismissing him
Not less than a minute later and there was a foul called against Puke, K was all over the ref, the beefy guy was listening and nodded his head and patted K on the back

The Squid and his squad of bandits are getting royal treatment
I thought the refs showed way too much respect to the Kensucky freshmen - Towns should have fouled out in the first half, he clears space with his elbows on every touch. Lyles should have had 3 fouls called on him on consecutive plays but the whistle never blew. Yet the ND big guys touched the opponent and the whistle blew

Reaction Score
Yeah credit to Krzyzewski for figuring out that you should work the refs. Too bad no one ever told Calhoun this.

Reaction Score
If you've ever watched a Duke game in person it's not a secret how Duke gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs. During almost every timeout K goes over to the refs and talks to them before he even addresses his team. He's constantly trying to gain an advantage, and it works.

Reaction Score
Yeah credit to Krzyzewski for figuring out that you should work the refs. Too bad no one ever told Calhoun this.

He's been on competition and rules' committees several times over the years. THAT is a tacit form of intimidation to refs, whether they'd ever admit it or not.

Having said that, I'll pull for Duke over Kentucky. I [insert expletive here] can't stand John Calipari.

Reaction Score
If you've ever watched a Duke game in person it's not a secret how Duke gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs. During almost every timeout K goes over to the refs and talks to them before he even addresses his team. He's constantly trying to gain an advantage, and it works.

The idea that this is a uniquely Duke-specific phenomenon is sort of silly.

Reaction Score
yeah most coaches at all levels of basketball do this. just look at kevin ollie. or jim calhoun. or phil jackson. officials are forever gettin' an earful

Reaction Score
James said:
yeah most coaches at all levels of basketball do this. just look at kevin ollie. or jim calhoun. or phil jackson. officials are forever gettin' an earful

KO? He needs to do a lot more.

Reaction Score

Eh, I've been to enough games to know that K does it more frequently and for longer than anyone else, at least on the college level.

Reaction Score
Calipari comes off like an ingenious at times, make no mistake about it, to the point that you wonder if he is actually a human who feels emotion or if he's a robotic salesman. I can get how people don't like him, even independent of the multiple investigations, history with Calhoun, etc.

But it's a slippery slope when you start speaking in absolutes about somebody you don't know (not saying I haven't done it plenty of times myself), as we have learned as fans of this program. Cal is portrayed by the general public as almost something of a cartoon character, a caricature of the evil, power-consumed college basketball coach we all hate. K is the grounded, humble beacon of basketball purity, the guy who prepares his kids to succeed in life.

I am inclined to believe that whenever there is a perception gap this immense between two men of the same profession, there is a lot more middle ground there than we all think. I respect Coach K, I really do. He seems like a genuine guy, somebody you wouldn't mind your son playing for. Cal...he's harder to like, but in reality, he's probably more sincere and likable than anybody thinks, and K, he's not perfect despite the endless superlatives heaped upon him from everywhere.

If Kentucky plays Duke for the title, I'm definitely rooting for Kentucky. Partially because we're on closer footing as a program to Duke than Kentucky, and party because the inevitable good vs. evil portrayal will be too much for me.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I respect Coach K, I really do. He seems like a genuine guy, somebody you wouldn't mind your son playing for. Cal...he's harder to like, but in reality, he's probably more sincere and likable than anybody thinks, and K, he's not perfect despite the endless superlatives heaped upon him from everywhere.
That's why it's crazy that people call Calipari the phony and K the beacon of all that is right in the world. If anything, Calipari is honest about what he does, while K pursues basically the same strategy while everyone looks the other way.

Reaction Score
I don't like him or "respect" him, I just don't get why people still get so worked up over him. He's a clown and a huckster. A successful one, but he is who he is.

Good lord you are dense. You don't need to get it. It isn't for you to get. Every other adult in the world already understands that everyone will see things differently, except you. You need to feel like some sort of good fan superhero. If people want to hate Calipari...a lot...who the hell are you to tell them they can't? Get over yourself.

Reaction Score
That's why it's crazy that people call Calipari the phony and K the beacon of all that is right in the world. If anything, Calipari is honest about what he does, while K pursues basically the same strategy while everyone looks the other way.
I doubt anyone here views him as a beacon of good. We all remember Maggette. We all heard the rumors of players driving luxury SUVs. This is a relative thing. Calipari is just that much more of a sleaze.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Calipari should listen to how a real coach, a coach who coaches an overwhelmingly favored team, speaks at the half and after the game has been won. Geno was honest about the pressure of playing as a Husky and complimentary of the opposition. Down one at the half, Geno was respectful of Dayton's effort and then coached his team up to run them off the floor.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Calipari is the Devil. You are casting your lot with Lucifer. I will pray for your soul.

Reaction Score
Calipari should listen to how a real coach, a coach who coaches an overwhelmingly favored team, speaks at the half and after the game has been won. Geno was honest about the pressure of playing as a Husky and complimentary of the opposition. Down one at the half, Geno was respectful of Dayton's effort and then coached his team up to run them off the floor.

Cal a real coach? One heck of a recruiter/salesman, yes. Real coach, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom