Calipari | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calipari

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wow that's tough. I was almost as nervous down the stretch for ND to win as I would've been for UConn so we could laugh at Calipari's 9 NBA recruits losing. I just want to hear his excuses, I really do it will be entertainment at its finest. I mean I will love Duke if the 2 play, that's the despise I have for that wind pipe!
Listening to Cal squirm would have been an acceptable consolation even though itvwouk have screwed my bracket.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Squid wins when he has a disparity in talent

First he emulated UNLV (literally his stated objective), making kids academically ineligible for other institutions eligible to play for him

and now he mastered the one and done sales pitch, I'll use you and you use me and we'll both make money

I won't give Squid the respect many others do until he wins when he's not supposed too, when he has less talent, when he actually develops a player

the analogy I'll use is Paul Evans. He was a great coach when David Robinson shot up six inches at Navy, and he followed that by being a great coach at Pitt when he arrived and found the likes of Charles Smith and Jerome Lane waiting for him

without that talent, he sucked
when the talent and skill in the country has dropped since what, 2009, and you stock up on kids who would be lottery picks out of high school, you bring in celebrities(rappers,movie stars, agents), you better make the final four every year... they need to get rid of the one and done rule and allow kids if they want to go to the nba out of high school, if they choose to go to school it's for 2/3 full years

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
lol calipari get's asked about the badgers and what he thinks so far etc... turns it right into all about him and the nba... how they came back after being first round picks etc... sell sell sell

Reaction Score
It will be more enjoyable to watch when they lose in the Final Four or Final.
Yeah but that's risky. Doesn't matter know/today.

Problem is that during a Tourney Run all Champions seem to have one or two of these types of near loss games. Not sure there's another out there for them, cuz this was a wake up call. ND had them sleeping and couldn't knock them out.

I remember in 99 (your nick) when dook played in the final four against MSU, they were exposed and Calhoun saw some chinks in their armour. Of course Calhoun as great as he knew how to design a winning plan with some thanks to MSU. Perhaps Bo Ryan saw some vulnerabilities in the ND game because ND sure exposed some things.

Reaction Score
Wisconsin is literally the last hope. If they cant win UK gets Duke or Gonzaga. Gonzaga cant beat them so that would be over and Duke Kentucky would be a lose lose situation. Although I would slightly perfer a Duke win

Reaction Score
Yeah but that's risky. Doesn't matter know/today.

Problem is that during a Tourney Run all Champions seem to have one or two of these types of near loss games. Not sure there's another out there for them, cuz this was a wake up call. ND had them sleeping and couldn't knock them out.

I remember in 99 (your nick) when dook played in the final four against MSU, they were exposed and Calhoun saw some chinks in their armour. Of course Calhoun as great as he knew how to design a winning plan with some thanks to MSU. Perhaps Bo Ryan saw some vulnerabilities in the ND game because ND sure exposed some things.
I agree with most of what you said but ND didn't catch them sleeping, they just had a good game plan and outplayed them for 39 minutes.

Reaction Score
Seriously. Kentucky is very good, but they can be beaten. Notre Dame is the best team they played all year. The next best team in the SEC was 28th in KenPom. Notre Dame was the 9th most efficient team going into that game. Before that game, Kentucky's best opponent was UNC in December (12).

I think Kentucky is not going to blow anyone out again. Wisconsin, Duke, or Gonzaga can beat them. Michigan State I'm less sold on, but they would be 12-14 spots higher than the toughest SEC team.

Reaction Score
Wisconsin is literally the last hope. If they cant win UK gets Duke or Gonzaga. Gonzaga cant beat them so that would be over and Duke Kentucky would be a lose lose situation. Although I would slightly perfer a Duke win
I can't watch if it's Dook/Kentucky.

Reaction Score
What an amazing final duke and kentucky would be - refs tripping over each other to make sure the coaches are happy. Not sure if they would even blow the whistle because they'd be so scared.

Reaction Score
I never thought I would ever be in a position to openly root for Duke to win a basketball game. If the championship game is Duke vs Kentucky, by far the lesser of two evils is Duke and I would have no shame pulling for them to beat UK.

Reaction Score
I never thought I would ever be in a position to openly root for Duke to win a basketball game. If the championship game is Duke vs Kentucky, by far the lesser of two evils is Duke and I would have no shame pulling for them to beat UK.
Would rooting for an earthquake or other natural disaster be too taboo?

Reaction Score

You want K to win a 5th, and do it against a team that's looking to go 40-0? I can only imagine how that would add to his legend.

Reaction Score
You want K to win a 5th, and do it against a team that's looking to go 40-0? I can only imagine how that would add to his legend.
His legend's already iron-clad. There's no denying that he's an all-time great coach, and while we might argue that Calhoun is better, that judgement has already been made in favor of K. And it's not like they haven't already taken out undefeated teams in the Final Four. There's not much more a little gasoline could do.

But, with your earlier post, it's all-in time on Wisconsin, who can absolutely win the whole thing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

It's not the NC game I'd want to see, but I have no issue with K adding to his legend, especially if it's at the expense of Calipari getting one. Even though K's gotten >10% of all the McD's AAs since 2000, he can at least coach 'em up a bit. He had to coach today.

Not gonna happen, but if Izzo managed a couple of miracles next weekend, I'd love it.

Reaction Score
Duke is one of the few teams where their players are usually more unlikable than their fans/coach. And this year's team is pretty likable. I don't mind Coach K.

Reaction Score
It's not the NC game I'd want to see, but I have no issue with K adding to his legend, especially if it's at the expense of Calipari getting one. Even though K's gotten >10% of all the McD's AAs since 2000, he can at least coach 'em up a bit. He had to coach today.

Not gonna happen, but if Izzo managed a couple of miracles next weekend, I'd love it.
I agree K will be retiring soon and like Calhoun old news after a few years. Cal is the threat to the future of college basketball and must lose at all costs.

Many of us may not witness a Coach like him in our lifetime, so I respect greatness. Even moreso that UConn beat him when it counted. He's a great coach and perhaps the greatest since Wooden.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Kensucky/Puke would be the worst of all in my mind
Don't want K to get his 5th and don't want the Squid to win anything
My hopes and my bracket calls for Wisconsin to win it all
ND came within 3 missed FTs of winning that game.
The Squid can bloviate all he wants about his team not playing well, ND playing over their heads and he has all raw freshmen..........
ND has no superstars (Grant?) and one draft choice on it's team - not sure but I can bet that none of the ND players were MCD AAs
Meanwhile ND scarred the crap out of all 12 of the Squid's MCD AAs and I bet the creep himself
Is Wisconsin better than ND - I think so.
I have a gut feeling that Kentucky's BS experiment ends next weekend.
Puke isn't to far behind with the mass one and done parade - Okafor, Winslow and the freaky looking guard are all gone after the season
Would love to see Izzo clean their clocks.

Reaction Score

Not sure why you like the guy but everyone has a right. But who cares about legends here, you root against people whom you despise. Calipari is one that many others do, like Christian Laettner kinda I guess. Partly because he does win and partly because obviously he's a total piece of crap salesman who mostly everyone but the media and some dopey parents see right through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom