Calhoun Walk - My response | The Boneyard

Calhoun Walk - My response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry my response here has taken so long.....

1) First off, it was great being together with jleves, DogBreath and Fishy. If you all knew the "behind the scenes" emails we all shared the last months, you'd appreciate it much more. We really did go into this completely clueless and we did a great job as a team in riding the wave of how you all responded. We knew what was happening and adjusted course accordingly and, quite frankly, seeing the amount we all raised in the end is really astounding. You should all be very, very proud of yourself. It has made me want to do more in my personal life in this sort of charitable venture. And when we all finally met? It was pretty cool and definitely had a "What the duck* just happened here?" vibe.

2) Meeting John from the Foundation was a very sincere, genuinely nice moment of the day. I shared how he really helped right our ship and make it easier for this to take place and he sincerely appreciated it. If you did not get the message from his post (and you should have) I can vouch that he truly felt good about the grassroots effort and groundswell of what happened here.

3) Meeting Dr. Liang was a giddy, surreal experience. I shook the hand of a man who will take that same hand and use the bypass machine that WE ALL FUNDED to SAVE PEOPLES LIVES. I was proud to do that in the honor of the people who donated any money to this effort. I have a picture of me, Fishy and the Dr together and I will always look upon that picture as something special.

4) The fine people of the Yard. If you are out there and a future event comes up where we offer the chance to meet? I strongly recommend you attending. I have been a part of this weird internet brotherhood for 16-17 years now? And I have made true lifelong friends. Seeing old friends and bonding together about past and present events is something that my words cannot explain. Of all the boards out there, I don't know anyone who has formed relationships and done the amazing things this board has. This truly is a special place.

Lastly, I will share this about our experience with the Coach. We all awkwardly shuffled onstage to take a picture with him and we had a regular check-sized check that said "40,000 and counting". Other groups had the big cardboard check. When we got around him and gave him the check, I said to him "Sorry. We didn't get the "big check" made up." and he looked at it, saw "The Boneyard" and the total and said "That's a BIG check". It was crystal clear how appreciative he was.

As we snapped pictures, I happened to be standing next to him and I fulfilled a dream. Coach Calhoun lost his Dad when he was 15 from a heart attack. I shook his hand and said "Coach, I lost my Dad from a heart attack when I was 14. When I knew about you and your Dad, I always felt a connection to you and this check means a lot to me." and he shook my hand, looked me in the eye and thanked me in a way that was like a soldier who'd been in the same battle. This was something I had wanted him to know for a long, long time. I thought about sending him an anonymous letter many times and I cannot thank you all enough for letting me be your representative in delivering this check with our wonderful team and hopefully making a difference in curing these two awful diseases.

We have all done good here. I only wish that every single one of you were there with us. I hope you realize the impact we have had. The stupid little message board full of whiners is going to save people's lives......through an avenue that is nearest and dearest to our beloved Coach.

Thank you.
Craig (Deepster)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
...and for anyone who needs to know...JC is a Betty White guy. :cool:

...and way to go Deep!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
...and for anyone who needs to know...JC is a Betty White guy. :cool:
Nice try. No way did Deep work that in with the Dads connection.

But I'm a sucker for a happy ending (hey now!), and happy that he got that moment. I've met the man a handful of times and have cherished them all, but I've yet to be able to fulfill a similar dream myself, so I'll pony up the $50 anyway, just because.

Tell me where to send it, Deep. A link is fine, too, if those pages are still accepting pledges/payment.

And good on all of you who made the trip to represent for the 'Yard.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

But I'm a sucker for a happy ending (hey now!), and happy that he got that moment. I've met the man a handful of times and have cherished them all, but I've yet to be able to fulfill a similar dream myself, so I'll pony up the $50 anyway, just because.

Granted, I only met Deep for one afternoon, and his family seems nice and normal, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Tell me where to send it, Deep. A link is fine, too, if those pages are still accepting pledges/payment.

He didn't work it in. But as Deep was walking away drying his cheeks I walked up to JC and shook his hand saying only "JC....Golden Girls...who you got?" He didn't hesitate.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

I'm still trying to catch up on everything. Here is the link you are looking for (if you haven't gotten it already).

Click here to donate

It was really good to finally meet some of you - wish there were more of us there, but we have made a difference and we'll continue to keep making a difference.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to add soon.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to catch up on everything. Here is the link you are looking for (if you haven't gotten it already).

Click here to donate

It was really good to finally meet some of you - wish there were more of us there, but we have made a difference and we'll continue to keep making a difference.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to add soon.

You too jleves. And your family. Your pops was funny. I had no idea what to say when he started telling me about his other 'deadbeat' sons.

Don't be too hasty on those pics, unless I'm not in any of them. Then by all means post.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You too jleves. And your family. Your pops was funny. I had no idea what to say when he started telling me about his other 'deadbeat' sons.

Don't be too hasty on those pics, unless I'm not in any of them. Then by all means post.

???? I didn't realize my dad talked to any of you. What did he say?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
???? I didn't realize my dad talked to any of you. What did he say?

He was talking about how you were the 'good' son and perfect and all that (which of course we all knew was complete bullsh!t), and that his other boys were black sheep. He was ripping them knew arseholes the whole time. Total straight face the whole time. Dead on balls serious.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
He was talking about how you were the 'good' son and perfect and all that (which of course we all knew was complete bullsh!t), and that his other boys were black sheep. He was ripping them knew arseholes the whole time. Total straight face the whole time. Dead on balls serious.

Apparently I can no longer leave him alone with people....

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Apparently I can no longer leave him alone with people....
I was right there with 'Caster. Your dad's level of disappointment scared us.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I was right there with 'Caster. Your dad's level of disappointment scared us.

Dammit Dove....it's Coaster. You are doing this on purpose now aren't you?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I made it to $1,000 today. Not quite 'Caster territory but not bad. Come on folks, if I can get people in California to give $600 for a CT charity, you guys have to be able to get some money out of folks. It's not too late to join the team and raise money from your family, friends and co-workers.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I made it to $1,000 today. Not quite 'Caster territory but not bad. Come on folks, if I can get people in California to give $600 for a CT charity, you guys have to be able to get some money out of folks. It's not too late to join the team and raise money from your family, friends and co-workers.

The line on my whale has gone slack. He pledges $500, then....nothing? WTF? I'm going down to his house in Rye, NY next weekend to find out what the story is. ducker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom