Caitlin Changed the Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Caitlin Changed the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So...all that nonsense about players losing out on NIL when they go from college to pro was just that.
She's 1 very specific and, to this point, unique player with 1 specific deal.

I don't think any of us can speak to everyone's details, but it's not hard to imagine that some of the women taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds won't get impressive Nike deals and might have been financially better off with "star" NIL $$$ from 1 more year in the NCAA vs. the $64k they'll get from the WNBA.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She's 1 very specific and, to this point, unique player with 1 specific deal.

I don't think any of us can speak to everyone's details, but it's not hard to imagine that some of the women taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds won't get impressive Nike deals and might have been financially better off with "star" NIL $$$ from 1 more year in the NCAA vs. the $64k they'll get from the WNBA.
I'd like to see some real numbers. How many players that don't project to be stars in the WNBA are really making more than $64 K in NIL money?

Reaction Score
This thread is very interesting. A lot of salty UConn posters. I'll start by saying this, I agree that Caitlin Clark is changing the game.

She is changing the popularity of WBB. All those record shattering viewing numbers, a huge majority of those can be attributed to her. Many of the most viewed games this year had Iowa in them. We all are in our own bubbles when it comes to WBB, so we've known about her. But she exploded onto the national scene 2023 post season and became a star that attracted casual fans. I really hope the WNBA can take advantage of this and I hope NCAAW doesn't lose too much steam. I think there's a lot of great talent.

She's changing the game because she is attaining things beyond basketball. She didn't get a championship, but she's getting a $20M Nike shoe deal. She was on a talk show. She's a great representative of our sport, and she's pretty stinking good too. There are players before her that were better collegiate players, had championships and more accolades. But she has that star power in the media that you can't really cultivate on purpose. It just kind of happens, I can't explain what it is.

Reaction Score
This thread is very interesting. A lot of salty UConn posters. I'll start by saying this, I agree that Caitlin Clark is changing the game.

She is changing the popularity of WBB. All those record shattering viewing numbers, a huge majority of those can be attributed to her. Many of the most viewed games this year had Iowa in them. We all are in our own bubbles when it comes to WBB, so we've known about her. But she exploded onto the national scene 2023 post season and became a star that attracted casual fans. I really hope the WNBA can take advantage of this and I hope NCAAW doesn't lose too much steam. I think there's a lot of great talent.

She's changing the game because she is attaining things beyond basketball. She didn't get a championship, but she's getting a $20M Nike shoe deal. She was on a talk show. She's a great representative of our sport, and she's pretty stinking good too. There are players before her that were better collegiate players, had championships and more accolades. But she has that star power in the media that you can't really cultivate on purpose. It just kind of happens, I can't explain what it is.
Sabrina currently at as 24 million dollar shoe deal, so that’s not new and should have been expected.

I personally don’t think Caitlin Clark changed the game, in that all ships will rise. I think the game changed for her but it’s still the same for everyone else. Viewership will sink in WCBB and eyeballs on the WNBA will likely stay isolated to Fever games.

Reaction Score
I think NCAAW needs to be careful. Part of what made for such compelling viewing, this year, was that we had continuity from one season to the next with the great stories. If Clark had transferred to Texas and Reese to Miami, would we have seen such ratings? I'm not saying it wouldn't have drawn eyes, but I don't think it would've been the same.

Can Bueckers, Watkins, etc. keep it rolling? We'll see!

Reaction Score
I've been wary of the hyperbole surrounding Caitlin, and especially the one where she's somehow changed the game, or done more for it than any players in recent memory. However... I think if we narrow the focus of this claim a bit, I'd have to agree with it.

IF we ask who has brought the most attention to Women's College Basketball in the last 25 years, I think it's fair to say it's Caitlin. A lot of it is timing -- lots of previous players have the skills and talent she has -- but the fact is her timing was impeccable. She came on the scene just as the audience for college basketball was ready for a change, and she gave it to them.

She's not the GOAT -- sorry that's Stewie -- nor is she the one who gave the WNBA instant credibility -- that's Rebecca Lobo -- but she is the one who got WCBB the following it has long needed and deserved.

Good work, Caitlin!
Honestly ? In a year from now, we'll see. I don't actually believe anything has changed except the media hype.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Bottled-Water.jpg

Reaction Score

Paige will get hers.

Her biggest problem is being able to actually see her play. Iowa had 3 games on BigTen + this year plus 3 Flo games. UConn had 17 games on SNY plus 2 on Flo.

So 6 Games for Iowa that is not National vs 19 for UConn. That will be interesting to see how UConn is able to navigate that in a post Geno world, whenever that happens. Even BigTen + is becoming more of a national extra subscription as the conference expands to West Coast,?Florida?....wouldn't be suprised if the BigTen is in negotiations with Oxford to start American Football and join :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom