BYU - on the move? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

BYU - on the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Consolidation to two or 3 power conferences? No. A certain conference or two making potentially in the neighborhood of double what some of their competitors are making? Yes.

If every member of Conference A is making 40-50 million a year regardless of athletic performance, while Conference B is only paying it's members 25-30 million regardless of achievement, at a certain point some of the schools in Conference B may decide to explore their options.

Northwestern and Vanderbilt will be making considerably more TV revenue than Florida State, UNC, Oklahoma and Kansas. That can't sit well with these programs.
Actually I was referring to your 2018 time frame, but since $40-$50 million was mentioned, the Big 12 schools are slated to be receiving $40 million in the later years of the current contract. BTW, that figure doesn't include what each school earns for it's third tier inventory.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Actually I was referring to your 2018 time frame, but since $40-$50 million was mentioned, the Big 12 schools are slated to be receiving $40 million in the later years of the current contract. BTW, that figure doesn't include what each school earns for it's third tier inventory.

That was Bowlsby wish-casting.

The contract is $2.6B for 13 years. That's $20M per team per year (less after conference expenses, etc.)

So.....where's the other $200,000,000 per year coming from?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
My apologies. You are correct. I thought you were ‘yanking my lariat’. Furthermore, let me thank you for not being intemperate in your response. I, regrettably, find you to be the exception rather than the rule on this board. Be well.

Let me clue you in to something: you are on a UConn board admonishing UConn fans for sticking up for their school, one which has been handy the sh!tty end of the stick more than a few times. Now if they were on an ISU board, or any other board for that matter, they might deserve getting their ass handed to them but they aren't. See, this is our home and you're a guest here so perhaps you should consider whether your comments, as a guest, were intemperate.

Reaction Score
That was Bowlsby wish-casting.

The contract is $2.6B for 13 years. That's $20M per team per year (less after conference expenses, etc.)

So.....where's the other $200,000,000 per year coming from?
So Bob Bowlsby, various Big 12 ADs, ISU Pres. Leath, and numerous media outlets are all "wish-casting"? No offense, but I believe them. Who you believe is your choice.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

How does each Big 12 school get to $40M? 2.6B over 13 years equals 20M per team per year. Where is the other 20M coming out of that contract? It's not back loaded so...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So Bob Bowlsby, various Big 12 ADs, ISU Pres. Leath, and numerous media outlets are all "wish-casting"? No offense, but I believe them. Who you believe is your choice.

The contract is what it is - $2.6B over 13 years.

That's $20M. (Assuming there's zero skim from the conference office.)

Where's the other $20M? Kind of a simple question.

There's lots of people looking to blow smoke up your ass, even glorified salesmen like Bowlsby, your AD and prez...

Reaction Score
The Big 12 schools received an average of $19.8" million last year according to their tax reports....

"The Big 12's average payout to its schools was $19.8 million, up from $18.6 million a year earlier. Every Big 12 school received approximately $21 million last year except for TCU and West Virginia, who don't start collecting a full share until 2015-16. TCU received $14.3 million and West Virginia took in $14.2 million."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ig-12s-bob-bowlsby-made-25-million-in-2013-14

Reaction Score
The Big 12 teams will make more money next year when they get the $40 million cut from the Sugar Bowl (another $4 mill per team).

Reaction Score
I will be the first to admit that I am prone to being intemperate, along with a few other colorful moods. If anyone has a problem with that, please go back to la-la land where the sky is always vanilla. Thank you.

Reaction Score
The game ISU won at UConn several years ago was televised. Don't know about the UConn win in Ames back in 2002. Not that any of that matters which includes whatever feeble point you were attempting to make.

So my question is what in the world would cause a visitor to feel the need to respond to a post on someone elses's board that, admittedly. he doesn't understand in the first place. That's a strange need.

Reaction Score
Let me clue you in to something: you are on a UConn board admonishing UConn fans for sticking up for their school, one which has been handy the sh!tty end of the stick more than a few times. Now if they were on an ISU board, or any other board for that matter, they might deserve getting their ass handed to them but they aren't. See, this is our home and you're a guest here so perhaps you should consider whether your comments, as a guest, were intemperate.
Let me clue you in on something: Unless you have a proprietary interest in The Boneyard we are both guests. Good talking to you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let me clue you in on something: Unless you have a proprietary interest in The Boneyard we are both guests. Good talking to you.
I think he was saying quit being a .

Look you can come here and troll if you want but your shelf life will be pretty short due to the ignore function. If you want to come here with an outsiders point of view, rooting for whichever team you'd like that's fine. The Boneyard is, for guys who actually have something to say, a pretty tolerant place.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Lol dude, please go back to the corn field from which you came and f off.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 schools received an average of $19.8" million last year according to their tax reports....

"The Big 12's average payout to its schools was $19.8 million, up from $18.6 million a year earlier. Every Big 12 school received approximately $21 million last year except for TCU and West Virginia, who don't start collecting a full share until 2015-16. TCU received $14.3 million and West Virginia took in $14.2 million."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ig-12s-bob-bowlsby-made-25-million-in-2013-14

Of the $19.8M average per team, my guess is only about $14M is generated from their TV deal. It sounds like their deal is backloaded, so in their final year they may be getting a payout closer to $27M. They are likely taking that figure, adding playoff revenue, NCAA distributions, and third tier revenue to piece together a number closer to $40M. I still don't think they get there, but when you are talking 10 years out, there is margin for fluff. It's more about posturing.

UConn was paid out $13.9M for 2012-2013 (I haven't seen 2013-2014), and approximately $10M in 2011-2012. Both numbers illustrate that all conferences generate revenue beyond their TV deals, with the latter UConn figure having nothing to with any form of exit fees.

Reaction Score

The only time frame I commented on was when The B1G would be signing its next Tier 1/2 Media Deal. The idea of 2 or 3 super conference was by some one else. That said, when The B1G signs its next media deal in 2-3 years it will be the single largest contract for an individual conference in history. I'm not sure that is even up for debate. 40-50 million will be real, not some hypothetical future payout figure that its commissioner claims will happen. I'll take my chances on a media deal that includes the states of NJ, PA, MD, OH, MI, and IL just for starters over one entirely made up of the following: TX, OK, KS, WV, IA.

Reaction Score
My apologies. You are correct. I thought you were ‘yanking my lariat’. Furthermore, let me thank you for not being intemperate in your response. I, regrettably, find you to be the exception rather than the rule on this board. Be well.

That wasn't my intention. Since, I've never been accused of being "temperate", I'm going to screen capture this post as irrefutable proof of my congeniality the next time my wife argues to the contrary. . .

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Of the $19.8M average per team, my guess is only about $14M is generated from their TV deal. It sounds like their deal is backloaded, so in their final year they may be getting a payout closer to $27M. They are likely taking that figure, adding playoff revenue, NCAA distributions, and third tier revenue to piece together a number closer to $40M. I still don't think they get there, but when you are talking 10 years out, there is margin for fluff. It's more about posturing.

It might be even more difficult with those numbers. The Big 12 talked about distributing $26M per team last year - that seems to have been puffery.

If they needed $227M to distribute $21M each to all fully-vested members, they're looking at $450M to get to $40M per member. That seems like an extraordinary number.

Of course, it also presents an interesting scenario...as we saw with ESPN's active participation in removing the Big East from existence, how long will the networks want to pay the likes of Iowa State, Kansas State, Okie State and the lesser Texans $40M a year when their actual value isn't even close? If markets are money, paying top dollar for second-flight teams from small flyover states will not make sense for long.

Reaction Score
It might be even more difficult with those numbers. The Big 12 talked about distributing $26M per team last year - that seems to have been puffery.

If they needed $227M to distribute $21M each to all fully-vested members, they're looking at $450M to get to $40M per member. That seems like an extraordinary number.

Of course, it also presents an interesting scenario...as we saw with ESPN's active participation in removing the Big East from existence, how long will the networks want to pay the likes of Iowa State, Kansas State, Okie State and the lesser Texans $40M a year when their actual value isn't even close? If markets are money, paying top dollar for second-flight teams from small flyover states will not make sense for long.

I think the Big 12 likes keeping things vague so Big12 fans like Seneca get confused. Remember the distribution number includes everything from TV contracts, bowl revenue, and NCAA distributions (including student related programs). I just pulled the Big12's 2012-2013 990 and their television contracts paid out an averages $13.2M per team (if every team was to receive a full payout). I haven't pulled 2013-2014 but I am guessing it is around $14.4 million per team equally divided. Now the members schools do make money off third tier revenue so when you add it to the $20M maybe it gets to $26M for some schools. You'll also see a bump from playoff revenue and new contract bowls in coming years. I doubt it ever gets to $40M-$50M ever, but they need to keep up appearances.

Here is their 2012 Form 990 (which ends June 30, 2013).

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2013/752/604/2013-752604555-0a1415a5-9.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom