BYU football: Cougars, UConn kindred spirits in new landscape | The Boneyard

BYU football: Cougars, UConn kindred spirits in new landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some quotes by Warde Manuel in this article. Regarding the story that said that UConn was one of the biggest losers in conference realignment:

BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe downplayed the severity of BYU’s situation last week, and on Tuesday UConn AD Warde Manuel also refused to acknowledge the sky is falling on the program that once enjoyed membership in the Big East Conference and its automatic bid into a BCS bowl game, saying he read the Times article and "really didn’t give it much credence."

Manuel, hired in February of 2012 and responsible for setting up the series with BYU in March of 2013 — the Huskies will visit LaVell Edwards Stadium on Oct. 31, 2015 — said UConn’s overall athletic program takes a backseat to nobody. The Huskies won three national championships last school year: men’s and women’s basketball and women’s field hockey.

"I never look at UConn and what our teams do as losers at anything, so in that sense, I disagree [with the L.A. Times story]," Manuel said. "Our focus is to continue to have success with our programs and not look at ourselves in any other way just because we are not in a certain conference or not."

Manuel said the only way to fight perceptions that BYU and so-called Group of Five schools from the AAC aren’t worthy of Power Five inclusion is to win football games. Recent proclamations by the ACC and SEC that games against BYU (or any Group of Five school) don’t count in their mandates that member schools play at least one nonconference game a year against a Power Five conference school hasn’t disheartened the UConn AD as much as it has angered folks in Provo.

"From my standpoint, they can say what they want. I mean, we are still actively scheduling teams from those conferences," Manuel said. "It is rare that I get upset about what people say about one conference or another. You play the games. We need to win the games we play here at UConn, and our conference needs to win those games."

But while Mendenhall unabashedly told the Austin American-Statesman in June that BYU "would love" to join the Big 12 — Holmoe defended but didn’t rubber-stamp the statements last week — Manuel is far more diplomatic in discussing UConn’s current situation, unfair as it may seem.

"I am happy with where we are, because it is where we are. Obviously, I will continue to monitor the landscape and figure out what is in the best interest of UConn," Manuel said. "Our focus is to be the best that we can be, and to win the games that are in front of us against teams that are in our conference and some great teams we schedule that are not in our conference. … That has been my attitude since we have been in the situation we found ourselves in, and we will continue to focus on making ourselves strong and better in doing what we do."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/58339172-88/byu-uconn-football-conference.html.csp

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I just heard on local tv news that there are 9,000 tickets available for tomorrow's football game. If true, that's got more bearing on our future than a thousand Warde platitudes.

Reaction Score
I just heard on local tv news that there are 9,000 tickets available for tomorrow's football game. If true, that's got more bearing on our future than a thousand Warde platitudes.
Over on the football board, they are reporting 1,000 or less left.

Reaction Score
Delete above post, please. Might have been mistaken.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
The game was originally scheduled for Thursday night (tonight) at 8pm, then was moved to Friday night at 8pm (a tough, holiday-travel night for quite a few folks), then moved up to 7pm (conflicting with the Men's Soccer opener and apparently screwing up the printed start time on season tickets as well).

So of course ticket sales for this game were going to be a challenge.

The real question is, is this an AD scheduling problem or a TV 'partner' problem? If the former, then heads should roll - this type of crap seems to happen every doggone year. But if it's the latter, then them a thousand times more...

Reaction Score
The game was originally scheduled for Thursday night (tonight) at 8pm, then was moved to Friday night at 8pm (a tough, holiday-travel night for quite a few folks), then moved up to 7pm (conflicting with the Men's Soccer opener and apparently screwing up the printed start time on season tickets as well).

So of course ticket sales for this game were going to be a challenge.

The real question is, is this an AD scheduling problem or a TV 'partner' problem? If the former, then heads should roll - this type of crap seems to happen every doggone year. But if it's the latter, then them a thousand times more...

Plus Scott Haney is calling for a half inch of snow!

Reaction Score
ESPN changed the start time:

Ticket Time Wrong

The UConn-BYU game is a 7 p.m. start, despite what is printed on the tickets. When UConn season tickets were printed, game time was 8 p.m., but ESPN subsequently rescheduled its broadcast to 7 p.m.

Copyright © 2014, The Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
Some quotes by Warde Manuel in this article. Regarding the story that said that UConn was one of the biggest losers in conference realignment:

BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe downplayed the severity of BYU’s situation last week, and on Tuesday UConn AD Warde Manuel also refused to acknowledge the sky is falling on the program that once enjoyed membership in the Big East Conference and its automatic bid into a BCS bowl game, saying he read the Times article and "really didn’t give it much credence."

Manuel, hired in February of 2012 and responsible for setting up the series with BYU in March of 2013 — the Huskies will visit LaVell Edwards Stadium on Oct. 31, 2015 — said UConn’s overall athletic program takes a backseat to nobody. The Huskies won three national championships last school year: men’s and women’s basketball and women’s field hockey.

"I never look at UConn and what our teams do as losers at anything, so in that sense, I disagree [with the L.A. Times story]," Manuel said. "Our focus is to continue to have success with our programs and not look at ourselves in any other way just because we are not in a certain conference or not."

Manuel said the only way to fight perceptions that BYU and so-called Group of Five schools from the AAC aren’t worthy of Power Five inclusion is to win football games. Recent proclamations by the ACC and SEC that games against BYU (or any Group of Five school) don’t count in their mandates that member schools play at least one nonconference game a year against a Power Five conference school hasn’t disheartened the UConn AD as much as it has angered folks in Provo.

"From my standpoint, they can say what they want. I mean, we are still actively scheduling teams from those conferences," Manuel said. "It is rare that I get upset about what people say about one conference or another. You play the games. We need to win the games we play here at UConn, and our conference needs to win those games."

But while Mendenhall unabashedly told the Austin American-Statesman in June that BYU "would love" to join the Big 12 — Holmoe defended but didn’t rubber-stamp the statements last week — Manuel is far more diplomatic in discussing UConn’s current situation, unfair as it may seem.

"I am happy with where we are, because it is where we are. Obviously, I will continue to monitor the landscape and figure out what is in the best interest of UConn," Manuel said. "Our focus is to be the best that we can be, and to win the games that are in front of us against teams that are in our conference and some great teams we schedule that are not in our conference. … That has been my attitude since we have been in the situation we found ourselves in, and we will continue to focus on making ourselves strong and better in doing what we do."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/58339172-88/byu-uconn-football-conference.html.csp
Their first choice was to play Syracuse, not UConn, so it was only by default that this game is happening. The other glaring issue that I see is that indeed there are no P5 teams on this years schedule. Monitoring, monitoring, monitoring. That's all I hear. He is still trying to figure out what is in the best interest of UConn? Everyone here knows the answer to that, except our AD!

Reaction Score
Their first choice was to play Syracuse, not UConn, so it was only by default that this game is happening. The other glaring issue that I see is that indeed there are no P5 teams on this years schedule. Monitoring, monitoring, monitoring. That's all I hear. He is still trying to figure out what is in the best interest of UConn? Everyone here knows the answer to that, except our AD!

Yes. Because the way to combat the media impression that we're done is to publicly state that the sky is falling. Brilliant Sherlock.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not going anywhere with 9K empty seats in our football stadium on a game to game basis. #HuskyUp

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
FILLTHERENT promo now open to everyone (not just season ticket holders or donors), thanks to Webster Bank.

UConn Huskies ‏@UConnHuskies 3m
One. More. Day. Let's "Fill The Rent" Tix promo courtesy of @WebsterBank. Tixs just $20! http://Post original url/FillTheRent

Reaction Score
Still monitoring?...

ModMan.

Moditoration.

The Monitorator.

snl-making-copies.jpg

Reaction Score
If you click on ESPN site
Under tickets it says sub-hub . Doesn 't that indicate primary sell-out?
Clicking on stub-hub said none available.
Someone correct me but it appears it's a sellout.
I don't like 7pm that's 4 out here. 5 in Utah.
Crummy start time for BYU fans or BYU haters alike.
Especially if you work. 9pm Eastern would have been great .
It's Friday night so a late start is not that bad for you guys.
Working ,commute,or dinner is not going to be great for ratings on a Friday.
Just part of ESPN's master plan.

Reaction Score
Yes. Because the way to combat the media impression that we're done is to publicly state that the sky is falling. Brilliant Sherlock.
How about something like this: We are positioning UConn to ensure it's success in the future. It seems a lot better to look like one is doing something rather than watching what others are doing.

Reaction Score
FILLTHERENT promo now open to everyone (not just season ticket holders or donors), thanks to Webster Bank.

UConn Huskies ‏@UConnHuskies 3m
One. More. Day. Let's "Fill The Rent" Tix promo courtesy of @WebsterBank. Tixs just $20! http://Post original url/FillTheRent

I just clicked the FillTheRent link and got a server overload message. Apparently 20 bucks is what it takes to get butts in the seats.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Then that's what the price should be. Right now, a filled stadium is more important that maximized revenue (although one wonders if a filled stadium might just be the way to maximize revenue.)

Reaction Score
Over on the football board, they are reporting 1,000 or less left.

Let's hope we fill the Rent. BYU is one of our better home opponents this year. If we can't fill the Rent for BYU how the hell are we going to fill it for Temple etc.? It should be a great night weather-wise, so just go to the game!

Reaction Score
Not going anywhere with 9K empty seats in our football stadium on a game to game basis. #HuskyUp

There is another way to look at tomorrow's attendance.

For the last three years and, specifically, last year, we were provided with the most brutal football product imaginable. The players played badly. The coaching was beyond embarrassing. It was a horrific product not worthy of support from a buying public. This was on-top-of, and in addition to, the malaise caused by CR.

Yet, in-spite of the mess, 23,000 (we're with you, win or lose) stalwarts bought season tickets. In addition, to date, 8,000 additional people have purchased tickets for tomorrow's game; probably in reaction to the hoped-for RD renewal. I think it's safe to say that some, hopefully significant, number of tickets will be purchased between now and game time. Remember. This is 31,000 (to-date) people that have purchased a product that was damn near unsellable as recently as last December. I know little to nothing about sports marketing, but I'd be surprised if an expert or two didn't think the sales were somewhere between "pretty good" and " miracle."

The problem becomes one of keeping the 8,000 that are willing to test the water (this week) while adding the 9,000 necessary to reach capacity. It would be neat to know universe size of people that might be interested in an improved product. Are we trying to sell upwards of 17,000 tickets (8.000 non-season ticket holders plus a projected 9,000 empty seats) to tens or hundreds of thousands of possible purchasers? In any event, we won't see much guaranteed beyond we 23,000 whack-jobs until there is solid evidence of an improved product.

On another note, blaming the buying public/market for not buying a product perceived as being sub-standard is an early stop on the road to failure. If the product is good, it's the sales process that needs fixing. Otherwise, fix the damn product. Some act as if our fellow citizens are failing to react to a legitimate call to arms in defense of Mother Nutmeg.

Reaction Score
As much as I wish Manuel could do something to move us out of this conference I don't think there's anything tangible he can do. Aresco's in the same position.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
As much as I wish Manuel could do something to move us out of this conference I don't think there's anything tangible he can do. Aresco's in the same position.
Realistically, the fans of UConn can do as much as Manuel at this point. Fuggin Husky Up folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom