Byron Jones broad jump combine record | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Byron Jones broad jump combine record

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What have we learned:
1. Talent doesn't necessarily come with stars attached.
2. Some of that talent was born in CT.
3. #1 and #2 are not the only commandments when it comes to recruiting.
4. We are at least a dozen NFL players who played for P, my gosh he was horrible.
5. Diaco can see the obvious, we don't know if he can get the obvious to Storrs or what to do with it when it shows up.
6. There was no excuse to miss 4 straight years of bowl games, see #4.
7. Two NFL players does not a college roster make, but it does give you a better chance on third and long, see #5.
8. None of this means a thing for this season and beyond, last season was a complete reset of the program.
9. It's all about Bob from here on out, see #8.
10. I would really like to see a return to the under the radar recruiting with perhaps a bit more talent than the Edsall era. Scrapping for unwanted three and four stars guess just smells like trouble. I'd rather see guys who just want it in addition to being fast and strong.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I knew we are just having fun here, but you think a rookie (possible) 3rd rounder would be a good conciliation prize for the best corner in the NFL who is also on the Defending Super Bowl Champions? Hmmm. Interesting.

In my world, it doesn't get much better than UConn + Patriots. When Darius Butler played in New England, I was one happy man.

Kate Upton broke up with me, but at least that cute chubby girl who lived in Carriage senior year is still single!

With all due respect to Byron, Husky hit the nail on the head here. I loved when Darius Butler was a Patriot as well, and would be ecstatic to have Jones on the team. But there is no conciliation if Revis leaves.

Reaction Score
1. Talent doesn't necessarilyg come with stars attached. AGREE
2. Some of that talent was born in CT. AGREE
3. #1 and #2 are not the only commandments when it comes to recruiting. AGREE
4. We are at least a dozen NFL players who played for P, my gosh he was horrible. ???
5. Diaco can see the obvious, we don't know if he can get the obvious to Storrs or what to do with it when it shows up.???
6. There was no excuse to miss 4 straight years of bowl games, see #4. YES THERE WERE
7. Two NFL players does not a college roster make, but it does give you a better chance on third and long, see #5.AGREE
8. None of this means a thing for this season and beyond, last season was a complete reset of the program. AGREE BUT
9. It's all about Bob from here on out, see #8. PRETTY MUCH
10. I would really like to see a return to the under the radar recruiting with perhaps a bit more talent than the Edsall era. Scrapping for unwanted three and four stars guess just smells like trouble. I'd rather see guys who just want it in addition to being fast and strong.[/QUOTE]DON'T UNDERSTAND??

4. Recruiting and running a program, hiring the right coaches for your philosophy and motivating are different skill sets.
No one can argue that Paul Pasqualoni doesn't know football or sizing up talent it's just that the college game and players may have past him by.

5. The 2015 recruiting class was a good start. I am optimistic about the potential and the staff''s ability to coach them up.

6. EXCUSES - Here are some I thought of.
1. Edsall leaving the program created program instability. Unlike Cincy, UCONN to new to adjust quickly
2. Conference realignment uncertainty effected recruiting
3. Losing Cody Endres in 2010 then in 2011 starting Johnny McEntee. Endres would have been a Senior
4. Losing Casey Cochran last year cost us 2-3 wins
5. Diaco's rebuild

8. If both Byron Jones and Geremy Davis go high in the draft it helps program image, moral and recruiting
10. Isn't that what Diaco and staff are already doing?

UCONN is not the only program to go into a tailspin. There are two many programs to list. The main thing is to
stop the bleeding and reverse the losing. I trust and believe that Diaco and staff will build a winner once again at Storrs.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:
1. Talent doesn't necessarilyg come with stars attached. AGREE
2. Some of that talent was born in CT. AGREE
3. #1 and #2 are not the only commandments when it comes to recruiting. AGREE
4. We are at least a dozen NFL players who played for P, my gosh he was horrible. ???
5. Diaco can see the obvious, we don't know if he can get the obvious to Storrs or what to do with it when it shows up.???
6. There was no excuse to miss 4 straight years of bowl games, see #4. YES THERE WERE
7. Two NFL players does not a college roster make, but it does give you a better chance on third and long, see #5.AGREE
8. None of this means a thing for this season and beyond, last season was a complete reset of the program. AGREE BUT
9. It's all about Bob from here on out, see #8. PRETTY MUCH
10. I would really like to see a return to the under the radar recruiting with perhaps a bit more talent than the Edsall era. Scrapping for unwanted three and four stars guess just smells like trouble. I'd rather see guys who just want it in addition to being fast and strong.DON'T UNDERSTAND??

4. Recruiting and running a program, hiring the right coaches for your philosophy and motivating are different skill sets.
No one can argue that Paul Pasqualoni doesn't know football or sizing up talent it's just that the college game and players may have past him by.

5. The 2015 recruiting class was a good start. I am optimistic about the potential and the staff''s ability to coach them up.

6. EXCUSES - Here are some I thought of.
1. Edsall leaving the program created program instability. Unlike Cincy, UCONN to new to adjust quickly
2. Conference realignment uncertainty effected recruiting
3. Losing Cody Endres in 2010 then in 2011 starting Johnny McEntee. Endres would have been a Senior
4. Losing Casey Cochran last year cost us 2-3 wins
5. Diaco's rebuild

8. If both Byron Jones and Geremy Davis go high in the draft it helps program image, moral and recruiting
10. Isn't that what Diaco and staff are already doing?

UCONN is not the only program to go into a tailspin. There are two many programs to list. The main thing is to
stop the bleeding and reverse the losing. I trust and believe that Diaco and staff will build a winner once again at Storrs.

Don't confuse winning a conference championship, which there were plenty of excuses, to qualifying for a lousy bowl game.

It's harder not to qualify than it is to qualify for a bowl game. The system is set up that way. Missing one year is bad, two incredibly bad. Missing 4 straight is unconscionable. BD doesn't need to bear the responsibility for the last 4, but he is on the clock now. This isn't the SEC we're playing. We have Nova, Army, Navy, USF, Tulane on the freaking schedule, again. If you call yourself a top university with a top AD, that's 5 wins in 9 of 10 years.

I don't buy any of those excuses other than Diaco's debatable decision to tank this last season. Yes, he tanked it.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I thought that problem was supposed to be solved by banning HFD.
I never felt HFD was 'stupid' - crosssing the lines possibly, not stupid.

:)

Reaction Score
Don't confuse winning a conference championship, which there were plenty of excuses, to qualifying for a lousy bowl game.

It's harder not to qualify than it is to qualify for a bowl game. The system is set up that way. Missing one year is bad, two incredibly bad. Missing 4 straight is unconscionable. BD doesn't need to bear the responsibility for the last 4, but he is on the clock now. This isn't the SEC we're playing. We have Nova, Army, Navy, USF, Tulane on the freaking schedule, again. If you call yourself a top university with a top AD, that's 5 wins in 9 of 10 years.

I don't buy any of those excuses other than Diaco's debatable decision to tank this last season. Yes, he tanked it.

Subba, you are underestimating the degree of difficulty in creating and sustaining a successful D-1 FBS college football program. Even in the American, recent coaching hires have been upwards to $3,000,000 per. Teams need to pay that kind of money to compete.

Randy's teams form 2002 (1st yr at the Rent) to the 2010 Fiesta bowl year went to 5 bowl games which was an amazing accomplishment for such a young FBS program. Quite frankly it's one of the main reasons I became such a die hard Husky football fan. Truthfully that success was beyond most college football fans expectations.

But make no mistake. FBS, Div. 1 football is an extremely taxing full time nerve racking ordeal. UCONN is right now smack in the middle of a huge Turn Around. No question, the program has been hanging on the cliff by it's fingernails and in danger of extinction.

I don't agree that it's easier to win six games than to lose six games especially in this league where their exists a great deal more parity than the other conferences. We had 4 teams tie for 1st place last year. I do agree however that 4 losing years and no bowl games in unacceptable.

I don't think anyone has to remind Bob Diaco that he is on the clock and I am confident that he knows what he has to do. With an $8.5 Million guaranteed 5 yr. contract, I kinda think you and I have more things to worry about than he does. He has a game plan which all Husky fans are eager to see bear fruit.

The American conference, although not the most desired conference is a lot tougher than people give credit. Hopefully, we will beat Villanova, Army and Tulane, the teams you mentioned. However take a closer look and the remaining schedule of Missouri, Navy, BYU, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, ECU, Houston and Temple is going to be tough. If you offer anyone on the Boneyard 6 wins right now, they will take it in a heartbeat.

Finally. on Diaco tanking this past season last year, well, I will have to quote Groucho Marks on that one.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
Just a reminder, 2 star athlete from CT with no other offers. Athlete.
Just a reminder, Zach Frazer was the 9th ranked QB nationally coming out of HS with a ton of offers.

Got it. Talent is talent regardless of Star ratings. B. Jones had a real good UConn career and help himself with his Combine exploits, no doubt.

But really, using the example of Jones (2 stars, no other offers) and Frazer (with all his offers) makes no sense (other than to point out there are exceptions). Doesn't mean the best schools are gonna starting "fishing the same # 2 ponds" that UConn does. Always gonna be exceptions, but follow the big boys and get some of the talent they are getting. A better recipe.

Reaction Score
Got it. Talent is talent regardless of Star ratings. B. Jones had a real good UConn career and help himself with his Combine exploits, no doubt.

But really, using the example of Jones (2 stars, no other offers) and Frazer (with all his offers) makes no sense (other than to point out there are exceptions). Doesn't mean the best schools are gonna starting "fishing the same # 2 ponds" that UConn does. Always gonna be exceptions, but follow the big boys and get some of the talent they are getting. A better recipe.
Of course there are always going to be exceptions. UConn has a plethora of DBs currently in the NFL. I think they were all two stars and had no other offers. At UConn you're going to have to spot that type of player. We all agree we need to recruit better because our records sucks, but recruiting two star athletes with no offers besides ours like Jones, wreh-wilson, butler and branch isn't the problem. Gratz had offers and was a high three star. We need good players regardless of what the recruiting sites think of them.

Reaction Score
To put the jump into perspective, wide receiver Marquis Goodwin recorded a leap of 11 feet at the 2013 NFL Combine before being drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the third round. The previous year, he was long jumping for the United States Olympic team in London at the 2012 Summer Games.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Subba, you are underestimating the degree of difficulty in creating and sustaining a successful D-1 FBS college football program. Even in the American, recent coaching hires have been upwards to $3,000,000 per. Teams need to pay that kind of money to compete.

Randy's teams form 2002 (1st yr at the Rent) to the 2010 Fiesta bowl year went to 5 bowl games which was an amazing accomplishment for such a young FBS program. Quite frankly it's one of the main reasons I became such a die hard Husky football fan. Truthfully that success was beyond most college football fans expectations.

But make no mistake. FBS, Div. 1 football is an extremely taxing full time nerve racking ordeal. UCONN is right now smack in the middle of a huge Turn Around. No question, the program has been hanging on the cliff by it's fingernails and in danger of extinction.

I don't agree that it's easier to win six games than to lose six games especially in this league where their exists a great deal more parity than the other conferences. We had 4 teams tie for 1st place last year. I do agree however that 4 losing years and no bowl games in unacceptable.

I don't think anyone has to remind Bob Diaco that he is on the clock and I am confident that he knows what he has to do. With an $8.5 Million guaranteed 5 yr. contract, I kinda think you and I have more things to worry about than he does. He has a game plan which all Husky fans are eager to see bear fruit.

The American conference, although not the most desired conference is a lot tougher than people give credit. Hopefully, we will beat Villanova, Army and Tulane, the teams you mentioned. However take a closer look and the remaining schedule of Missouri, Navy, BYU, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, ECU, Houston and Temple is going to be tough. If you offer anyone on the Boneyard 6 wins right now, they will take it in a heartbeat.

Finally. on Diaco tanking this past season last year, well, I will have to quote Groucho Marks on that one.

View attachment 8600

Established program vs. transitioning from 1-AA. We all signed up for "Big Time" CFB, the school and the fanbase. That comes with a certain level of expectations. That doesn't mean we can't have setbacks or rebuilding years, or even whatever level of suck you wish to describe the P era. But it does mean that not making a bowl game is the minimum level of acceptability and in our role as fans, boosters, supporters of the program in pretty black and white on this matter. Our job is to b!tch about not making bowl games. We as a fan base are also terrible at our job. We are not whining about not making the playoff, or a BCS bowl, or even "suffering" through nine win seasons like some programs. But, I draw the line at .500 football. If we are willing to excuse or accept less than that given the league we find ourselves if then what the heck are we doing? Follow UAB and UMass down the rabbit hole of FBS oblivion.

I don't think I'm out of line in my thinking on this. I re-upped this season (the ticket office met my demands) but the goodwill is waning, this is an entertainment option. It's one of the few I allow myself, so I better find it entertaining. Last season was in many ways worse than P's worst season (OK maybe not the 0-4 start, but at least he was fired). I saw a lot of non-competitive, downright lousy football and I was and still am willing to accept that as part of the rebuilding process. I know UConn can compete at this level and expect nothing less. The willingness to go along with BD and his plan has an expiration date as it should. Losing to nova or army this season will send up a bunch of red flags. Being so inept at so many things will send up a bunch more.

The schedule looks tough only because we were epically bad and if we expect only an incremental improvement. If the plan was to sacrifice last season to play younger guys, then it is perfectly reasonable to expect a more than incremental jump in performance, otherwise why'd we do that? Bob has a plan and I'm ready to judge that plan. We beat a good UCF team last season. That doesn't happen without physical talent. Whatever the talent levels are, it can be overcome against these teams with execution and smarts. Those are a product of hard work from the coaches and players. Let's see it and not be happy with a 5 win season that includes zero P5 wins.

Reaction Score
I said it before (*somewhere) ...

This is why I LOVE being a UConn fan & UConn stakeholder.

We aren't going to put up with mediocrity. Our Fanbase is spoiled. We need to see some semblance of making corrections towards a better Program. I would state that it is different over all the many sports. A 2-3 loss season would kill some of the WBB fans; a non NCAA year pisses me off with Ray Reid. But ... I think we aren't like a bunch of P5 schools. We expect to be good.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Established program vs. transitioning from 1-AA. We all signed up for "Big Time" CFB, the school and the fanbase. That comes with a certain level of expectations. That doesn't mean we can't have setbacks or rebuilding years, or even whatever level of suck you wish to describe the P era. But it does mean that not making a bowl game is the minimum level of acceptability and in our role as fans, boosters, supporters of the program in pretty black and white on this matter. Our job is to b!tch about not making bowl games. We as a fan base are also terrible at our job. We are not whining about not making the playoff, or a BCS bowl, or even "suffering" through nine win seasons like some programs. But, I draw the line at .500 football. If we are willing to excuse or accept less than that given the league we find ourselves if then what the heck are we doing? Follow UAB and UMass down the rabbit hole of FBS oblivion.

I don't think I'm out of line in my thinking on this. I re-upped this season (the ticket office met my demands) but the goodwill is waning, this is an entertainment option. It's one of the few I allow myself, so I better find it entertaining. Last season was in many ways worse than P's worst season (OK maybe not the 0-4 start, but at least he was fired). I saw a lot of non-competitive, downright lousy football and I was and still am willing to accept that as part of the rebuilding process. I know UConn can compete at this level and expect nothing less. The willingness to go along with BD and his plan has an expiration date as it should. Losing to nova or army this season will send up a bunch of red flags. Being so inept at so many things will send up a bunch more.

The schedule looks tough only because we were epically bad and if we expect only an incremental improvement. If the plan was to sacrifice last season to play younger guys, then it is perfectly reasonable to expect a more than incremental jump in performance, otherwise why'd we do that? Bob has a plan and I'm ready to judge that plan. We beat a good UCF team last season. That doesn't happen without physical talent. Whatever the talent levels are, it can be overcome against these teams with execution and smarts. Those are a product of hard work from the coaches and players. Let's see it and not be happy with a 5 win season that includes zero P5 wins.

On average the schedule isn't daunting but I think it would
take a pretty good team to win 8 games against it. Trips to Missouri and BYU are tough. Throw in road games at Cinci and UCF...

You could have a pretty good team and lose 4-5 games.

On the other side even a mediocre team should squeeze 4-5 wins out of the schedule fairly easily.

If they win 7 - my praise of Diaco would make CC blush. That would be an incredible turn around.

If they win 2 - yikes.

Reaction Score
On average the schedule isn't daunting but I think it would
take a pretty good team to win 8 games against it. Trips to Missouri and BYU are tough. Throw in road games at Cinci and UCF...

You could have a pretty good team and lose 4-5 games.

On the other side even a mediocre team should squeeze 4-5 wins out of the schedule fairly easily.

If they win 7 - my praise of Diaco would make CC blush. That would be an incredible turn around.

If they win 2 - yikes.

I think it is a tough schedule. It feels like we don't have the breadth of easier teams we might have had 5 years ago. "Mediocre" is not a word I would use (for that win total). But I think I would praise BD for more than 5 wins this coming year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it is a tough schedule. It feels like we don't have the breadth of easier teams we might have had 5 years ago. "Mediocre" is not a word I would use. But I think I would praise BD for more than 5 wins this coming year.

Obviously how they look matters, but I'd say 5-7 if they are competitive in the losses is a good season. If it's 5-7 and the losses to teams like Mizzou and Cinci are single digits it's a very good season.

Reaction Score
like the 3 star talent you have a photo of in your signature? More of them?

We just had a kid who made more of a name for himself and the program, and you hijack the conversation for this?

He still has 2 years to prove himself, so I wouldn't speak to soon.

Furthermore, I didn't hijack any conversation... All I was responding to was a post posted by a poster who said Byron Jones was a 2 star sarcastically taking shots at posters who have common sense and believe that offers and stars matter. I see teams who are not in a P5 conference who get commits from 3 and 4 star athletes, but some small minded individuals on the BY say that UConn can't get those type of athletes because we're are not in a P5 conference is outlandish to me. All I was saying is just because Byron broke a record at the combine, not the football field where it matters most, doesn't mean we glorify 2 star athletes who hasn't really done much on the field... that's just brainless. UConn's record for the past four years ( with Byron on the team a former 2 star) 5-7, 5-7, 3-9, and 2-10, but yet we have a poster sarcastically posting "and Byron was a 2 star" :rolleyes: as if that matters. What has he done on the field?? that's what matter's. we almost lost to STONY BROOK for god sake with guess who Byron a 2 star player as the CB.

Reaction Score
IG PolaroidPapiin 4 days
Combine Donest Make You A BEAST... In between the Lines do, this just some slave s&*t... Next time theres a jumpingg contest or bench press off in the season ill pay attention

Eric in 4 days
but can this n&*$a cover or shutdown a WR, I don't give a f*^k bout the other , this aint basketball and if he cant cover b. marshall, megatron, odell beckham, aj green or dez Bryant who needs him.

This was posted by people with some sense who commented on Byron Jones combine numbers. Okay, yes he broke a combine record, but why point out that he was a 2 star? Did he shut down big time WR's? or even small time WR's? did he break interception records? If he would have broke records on the football field then I would have been more impressed. I'm not to big on individual numbers if it's not helping the team win on the field.

Reaction Score
IG PolaroidPapiin 4 days
Combine Donest Make You A BEAST... In between the Lines do, this just some slave s&*t... Next time theres a jumpingg contest or bench press off in the season ill pay attention

Eric in 4 days
but can this n&*$a cover or shutdown a WR, I don't give a f*^k bout the other , this aint basketball and if he cant cover b. marshall, megatron, odell beckham, aj green or dez Bryant who needs him.

This was posted by people with some sense who commented on Byron Jones combine numbers. Okay, yes he broke a combine record, but why point out that he was a 2 star? Did he shut down big time WR's? or even small time WR's? did he break interception records? If he would have broke records on the football field then I would have been more impressed. I'm not to big on individual numbers if it's not helping the team win on the field.

You sir, are a sad man. You really need a time out.

Reaction Score
Some UConn fans is just delusional and know s^*t. I'm a sad man... Lol cause im not impressed with Byron on the field play? You can have facts in your face and still deny the truth. Some of you guys must be the type that bow to they wife like softees.

Reaction Score
Some UConn fans is just delusional and know s^*t. I'm a sad man... Lol cause im not impressed with Byron on the field play? You can have facts in your face and still deny the truth. Some of you guys must be the type that bow to they wife like softees.

If you're not impressed with Jones on the field? Only makes you a football know nothing. Kid could play. Not sure what your angle is here but it's pretty douchey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom