Byron Jones broad jump combine record | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Byron Jones broad jump combine record

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I largely agree with you about offers as a better measurement of talent level... but I think when you say stuff like the Daily Numbers you're downplaying what went on here in the past. I think 2* recruits are much more like micro/nano cap stocks. If you're an excellent at evaluation and projection you can make a killing and out perform your peers. It's what Edsall did here. It's what Rich Rod did at West Virginia... it's how teams like TCU and Boise State got great. It's MUCH MUCH harder to do...but if you're in the AAC and if you're recruiting territory includes upstate New York, Mass, and New Hampshire... you better be able to do it.

I wasn't calling the players lottery tickets. Was comparing the concept of arguing against the aggregate with specific examples.

There were a lot of really good players they recruited - they are also 31-49 in conference and when they stepped up in class they generally got smacked around. What is the record against the top 25? 2-22 or something at this point?

Reaction Score
Kids lie about offers. Parents lie about offers.

Mike Farrell lies. John O. at RutgersRivals lies. About Offers.

Diaco did what he could. He brought in, largely, Plus Recruiting professionals/assistants. Largely harvested the NJ territory he knows well - expect more of same (like PA where HCRE did well).

We weren't going to win Competitive 3 Star recruiting battles out of the box easily. With time (and far longer relationship building) AND Success on the field, Diaco WILL win these kids. I guess the misrepresentation that strikes me most is WE think kids get sold with a solid one time pitch & glitz like a helicopter landing to see them. The reality - I bet parents would confirm - is a large percentage of the top kids are identified & courted for years. In the Northeast (DC thru Maine). Picking off FL or GA kids or finding Lawrence Wilson is pure hard work.

Edsall knew Byron Jones was a STAR early. Gifted him to PP. Courted him for years. Did not whisper his name to Rivals ever.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I wasn't calling the players lottery tickets. Was comparing the concept of arguing against the aggregate with specific examples.

There were a lot of really good players they recruited - they are also 31-49 in conference and when they stepped up in class they generally got smacked around. What is the record against the top 25? 2-22 or something at this point?

Yeah, but with recruiting classes rated in the 70-90s. Edsall also had an awful lot of kids nabbed that he was on first. He clearly had some issues identifying and recruiting great WRs and QBs... which I think explains why our record was so woeful against Top 25 (that and some questionable game day coaching). We never had a high powered offense... but it's pretty clear that he was doing something extraordinary when you look at RBs, DLs, and especially DBs.

Reaction Score
Then that's just a case of sarcasm being lost on you with the Top 25 remark. Oh, so now it's sarcasm. You went and posted comments from Courant articles to prove your sarcastic point that you really didn't mean. Never did I claim that as a quote or an exact reference; (yes, you actually did) nor was that ever solely the point. If you're over the topic of recruiting rankings that's one thing, and understandable. But to flat out shoot down my entire point altogether is incredibly flippant and holier than thou. My original point was that this is yet another (small) example as to why recruiting rankings, while having their place to some capacity, sure as h*ll isn't the gospel when it comes to projecting a players potential for success on any level. Out of curiosity, who is disagreeing with you here other than UConnFamily? Instead, it's now strung out into a 5+ post debate because you wanted to poke holes and fact check a one line statement down to the letter. You picked the fight. Don't feign outrage when people give you the fight. If you have a certain segment of the fan base stating that this class isn't D1 caliber, or complaining about recruiting rankings, or insinuating that the Pasqualoni regime was any better overall compared to Diaco's one year as a rookie head coach, then that's clearly a reflection of their expectation that Chris Clark and Snoop Dogg's son were well on their way to UConn until that d^mn Diaco showed up and f••ked it all up -- hence the Top 25 remark. The problem with this is that I've never read this anywhere on the BY. It's a complete fabrication. Apart from any of that, I really don't understand what makes you think I'm just here to pi•ss on Byron's parade or moment. You took a thread dedicated to what Jones did at the Combine and rehashed the pissing match that we had with Pudge and others. Quite the opposite, but take it how you want to.

...That is all.

The strangest part about this is that I'm not sure you really disagree with what myself, whaler, and WingU are stating.

Reaction Score
The strangest part about this is that I'm not sure you really disagree with what myself, whaler, and WingU are stating.

Well since you like fact checking so much, show me when I ever quoted that from anybody else or presented it as a quote in general. It's not me backtracking if I never tried to present it as known fact or literal in the first place. That's make me a pathological liar now just because you took something too literally? Really??

All of which, as I already said, was besides the point anyway. You're the one making it into an argument.

Reaction Score
I've seen much dumber stuff posted here. But I still didn't see anyone state that we need a top 25 recruiting class to compete.

And we've gone over the recruiting stuff as nauseum. Frankly there are too many people who get their sensitivities hurt when discussing the reality. WingU has a solid thread about that. Go there and discuss it like an adult if you wish. This should be about Byron.

That's where you are missing it JS. Byron would be the first to say, on the contrary this is not just about me. It's about the progression of UCONN football and if I am living proof that a two star that had no other offers but UCONN can become a high draft pick in the NFL then I want that card to be played all day long. If my performance in the combines can tell other quality prospects who are considering UCONN that they can develop their skills and play at the next level, then my personal goals and accomplishments professionally aside, it makes me all the more proud to be a UCONN husky.

Arn't you getting tired of the me first, once and done player headed to the NBA for the big pay check because it's all about them?

I give credit to sub legacy for making a strong case that star system although with some merit, is flawed as has been demonstrated in the case of Byron Jones.

Reaction Score
Well since you like fact checking so much, show me when I ever quoted that from anybody else or presented it as a quote in general. It's not me backtracking if I never tried to present it as known fact or literal in the first place. That's make me a pathological liar now just because you took something too literally? Really??

All of which, as I already said, was besides the point anyway. You're the one making it into an argument.

"This goes out to all the complainers who genuinely believe we need a Top 25 recruiting class just to compete."

I guess I should've known that you were talking to imaginary complainers who never said anything like that. My bad.

Reaction Score
That's where you are missing it JS. Byron would be the first to say, on the contrary this is not just about me. It's about the progression of UCONN football and if I am living proof that a two star that had no other offers but UCONN can become a high draft pick in the NFL then I want that card to be played all day long. If my performance in the combines can tell other quality prospects who are considering UCONN that they can develop their skills and play at the next level, then my personal goals and accomplishments professionally aside, it makes me all the more proud to be a UCONN husky.

Arn't you getting tired of the me first, once and done player headed to the NBA for the big pay check because it's all about them?

I give credit to sub legacy for making a strong case that star system although with some merit, is flawed as has been demonstrated in the case of Byron Jones.

To your first point, I highly doubt that Jones' broad jump number lands us one single recruit.

Secondly, who has said that the star system isn't flawed? I don't even think UConnFamily has made that claim.

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
So did this end up really being a world record? How the hell did a college football cornerback get a world record in this and not some Olympian who trains for the event (or similar event as I'm not even sure if this if part of track and field).

It's not a real event.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What are we even arguing at this point? We all agree that the star system is flawed, more so outside of the 4-5* kids. Is the argument that Jones should have been rated higher than a 2*?

Oh, this flawed way of trying to predict the future based only on old information didn't pan out? Who cares? Jones improved by leaps and bounds after the rating. That reflects primarily on him and maybe secondarily on UConn.

Reaction Score
"This goes out to all the complainers who genuinely believe we need a Top 25 recruiting class just to compete."

I guess I should've known that you were talking to imaginary complainers who never said anything like that. My bad.

Must be nice in that shiny bubble of yours.

Reaction Score
To your first point, I highly doubt that Jones' broad jump number lands us one single recruit.

Secondly, who has said that the star system isn't flawed? I don't even think UConnFamily has made that claim.

I would tend to agree that the broad jump record makes good news print and is for now a good indication that Byron's draft status will improve. He still has to run the 40 and do the bench. After all that if he gets drafted, with a good contract then it will be good advertising for UCONN football. UCONN basketball's best advertisement is championships and the number of successful NBA professionals that played for UCONN.

There is some validity to your point that combine results alone don't necessarily equate to NFL success. In Byron's case most at UCONN and I am sure you included want to see him go in the 1st two rounds of the draft.

Regarding the star system some rely too heavily upon it but most with half a brain know it's not a perfect system of identifying success at the college level.

Reaction Score
I would tend to agree that the broad jump record makes good news print and is for now a good indication that Byron's draft status will improve. He still has to run the 40 and do the bench. After all that if he gets drafted, with a good contract then it will be good advertising for UCONN football. UCONN basketball's best advertisement is championships and the number of successful NBA professionals that played for UCONN.

There is some validity to your point that combine results alone don't necessarily equate to NFL success. In Byron's case most at UCONN and I am sure you included want to see him go in the 1st two rounds of the draft.

Regarding the star system some rely too heavily upon it but most with half a brain know it's not a perfect system of identifying success at the college level.

There we go Carl. Common ground. Took us a while.

Reaction Score
What are we even arguing at this point? We all agree that the star system is flawed, more so outside of the 4-5* kids. Is the argument that Jones should have been rated higher than a 2*?

Oh, this flawed way of trying to predict the future based only on old information didn't pan out? Who cares? Jones improved by leaps and bounds after the rating. That reflects primarily on him and maybe secondarily on UConn.

Believe me, I wasn't "arguing" anything.

Reaction Score

...You do realize you quoting me still doesn't mean that I quoted anybody else as to saying that, right? I didn't deny my statement, but I never quoted anybody. We're not really playing this argumentative game, are we? Are you really that thick headed and self righteous, or what?

Reaction Score
...You do realize you quoting me still doesn't mean that I quoted anybody else as to saying that, right? I didn't deny my statement, but I never quoted anybody. We're not really playing this argumentative game, are we? Are you really that thick headed and self righteous, or what?

SMH. Maybe it's time for a self imposed hiatus from this place. My head hurts from reading so much stupidity.

Reaction Score
This thread has devolved to a level of stupidity I didn't think even the Boneyard was capable of. Congrats all on this historic achievement

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
For goodness sake can we all just admit that none of us have ANY CLUE what the results of this recruiting class will be until the kids get on the field and get some experience. This is all guessing by all of you at this point.

God this is going to be an insanely long off season on the BY

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Back off Terrible Towlie! :) If my Pats lose Revis, he'd be a nice consolation prize. Keep Jones in New England!
I knew we are just having fun here, but you think a rookie (possible) 3rd rounder would be a good conciliation prize for the best corner in the NFL who is also on the Defending Super Bowl Champions? Hmmm. Interesting.

Reaction Score
SMH. Maybe it's time for a self imposed hiatus from this place. My head hurts from reading so much stupidity.

Gee, you read mind. All this because you want to make a harmless sarcastic remark infinitely more serious than it actually is. You're clearly the guy who always needs to be right, even about the most minuscule things. So I'll just go back to terrorizing another message board with my arbitrary lies and spin doctoring. You're doing a great job policing this thread from people like me. Keep up the good work.

Reaction Score
For goodness sake can we all just admit that none of us have ANY CLUE what the results of this recruiting class will be until the kids get on the field and get some experience. This is all guessing by all of you at this point.

God this is going to be an insanely long off season on the BY

If only it was that easy...

Reaction Score
J187Money said:
It's not a real event.
It's not an Olympic event but is practiced in some countries (like Norway) when they hold national games. As well as doing it every year at the combine. It's real enough.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I knew we are just having fun here, but you think a rookie (possible) 3rd rounder would be a good conciliation prize for the best corner in the NFL who is also on the Defending Super Bowl Champions? Hmmm. Interesting.

In my world, it doesn't get much better than UConn + Patriots. When Darius Butler played in New England, I was one happy man.

Reaction Score
This thread has devolved to a level of stupidity I didn't think even the Boneyard was capable of. Congrats all on this historic achievement

I thought that problem was supposed to be solved by banning HFD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom