BY Poll: What's YOUR top 10? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BY Poll: What's YOUR top 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Did anyone think that Baylor was going to beat three number 1 seeds in 2005 and win a National Championship? Did Baylor show anything the year before that would indicate that they were ready to make that leap?

Did anyone think that Maryland was going to win their championship with a bunch of young players?

Did TAMU show any sign the year before their championship that they were ready to take that leap?

It can happen...
Exactly, everyone would (or should) be surprised. That's kinda the point of not expecting it. Hence why they have a pretty decent shot at a FF, they would have to play really unexpectedly well to get a NC.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
South Carolina has quite a few future WNBA players: Welch, Mitchell, Ibiam, Coates, Wilson and probably White. That is a LOT of talent to be dismissing as a team that has no shot at a National Championship.
How many future WNBA-type players does Notre Dame have? Allen, Lloyd and Turner, I know of, but I am not sure how many other players from that team have WNBA-type talent. I didn't see anything from Reimer that would point to WNBA talent at this point.

It just seems to me that SC has a lot more talent than ND. And how is ND going to compete with SC in the paint? Who is going to contain Ibiam, Coates, Wilson and White and compete on the boards?
You are including Wilson and White as potential WNBA'ers? Two freshmen who haven't played college ball at all? But not Reimer?

Wright, Reimer, Turner, Westbeld can hold their own against SC's frontline. Hell, TN destroyed SC's front line last year on the boards. And TN couldn't play with ND overall. SC is gonna need to be worried how their backcourt is gonna handle Loyd, Mabry and Allen.

You are backwards on this one. It's not does ND have enough talent to compete with SC, it's does SC have the talent to compete with ND? If they ended up playing each other, I'd put my money (if I had any) on ND.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
meyers7 said:
You are including Wilson and White as potential WNBA'ers? Two freshmen who haven't played college ball at all? But not Reimer?

Wright, Reimer, Turner, Westbeld can hold their own against SC's frontline. Hell, TN destroyed SC's front line last year on the boards. And TN couldn't play with ND overall. SC is gonna need to be worried how their backcourt is gonna handle Loyd, Mabry and Allen.

You are backwards on this one. It's not does ND have enough talent to compete with SC, it's does SC have the talent to compete with ND? If they ended up playing each other, I'd put my money (if I had any) on ND.

did I miss something?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I received a visitation from a friendly ghost last night who has a part time gig as a comic....says his name is Caspar? Anyway, here are his comments on this top 10 list:

1. UConn (of course)
2. ND (fool me once)
3. South Carolina (who did they play last year, and what was the average margin of victory for teams outside of the top 25? yeah, right)
4. A&M (I just like these guys)
5. Tenn (I just DON'T like these guys)
6. Duke (I just like Cam and Triad)
7. UNC (why not? - Sylvia Hatchell deserves a good year)
8. Baylor (needed to bump up because Project Runway is thinking of doing a segment in Waco for the fashion challenged)
9. Texas (the best steak I ever had was in Texas)
10. Kentucky (Stephen Foster wrote the state song. I like Stephen Foster)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has a great coach, they destroyed a more talented Maryland team in the final four

Maryland was NOT more talented, in terms of star power and depth. Notre Dame had more talent.

But Notre Dame also did not have Achonwa and still destroyed Maryland. That is where the great coaching comes into play.

Reaction Score
Hey guys, MD fan checking in here. I can say without a doubt, that with the exception of Alyssa Thomas, ND was definitely more talented last year. In terms of the frosh point guards, I would rated Lexie Brown and Lindsay Allen even, but the Terps had no one that could match McBride or Loyd. Now as for the coaching ;) let's just say I would put MM as the 2nd best coach in college basketball, although I do give Brenda Frese props for defeating Jeff Walz in the Elite 8 AT LOUISVILLE :D

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
BY Poll: What's YOUR top 10?...
StillTimetoVote!
StillTimetoVote!StillTimetoVote!StillTimetoVote!...
  • VOLFAN
  • RBLACK335
  • CALPEDALER
  • SVETBIRD
  • LATIONE2009
  • MARLBOROUGHMIKE
  • KAT0189
  • ICEBEAR
  • ALLHUSKY529
  • DOGGYDADDY
StillTimetoVote!StillTimetoVote!StillTimetoVote!StillTimetoVote!
-Nice list, but I’m don’t entirely agree with some of your rankings here, Vowelguy:

-VOLFAN: #1? I don’t think there’s any question VOLFAN is quickly moving toward #1 on the Boneyard
in terms of quantity of posts. But quality? Way too many UTenn references. And it’s a shame; no question the talent is there, but obviously lacks coaching.
-CALPEDALER: You got him at #3? Sure, he’ll always be a favorite, because everybody absolutely loves what he’s done. But now it seems we never get to see enough of his work. Basically, he’s like Ball State.
-MARLEBOROGHTMIKE: Great seeing Mike getting lots of respect at #6. Like everyone else, Mike’s probably been enjoying The Boneyard’s spontaneous eruption into Rodney Dangerfield Week: “I met the surgeon general - he offered me a cigarette!”
-SVETBIRD: As I recall, this guy is the only one listed fanatical enough to actually keep at home his very own husky you gotta move him (& his dog) up the list.
-ICEBEAR: Careful. Don’t get lulled into underestimating this perennial favorite. He just seems to be changing things up early this season, throwing us off with primordial Polar Bear tactics... Laying low, blending in with the background, until somebody makes a threatening move here toward a husky, then outta nowhere… BAM!!,..CRUNCH!!! Where you used to be, is now just 5 gallons of red goo mixed in the slush. Polar Bears don’t hibernate.
-“THOSE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED”: Let me be the first to say I think it was a bold move on your part, not to kiss up to Mods and Admin, by keeping them off your list. I, for one, certainly hope you’re not the next one they make a public example of, stripping away your Trophy Points, and using them to stuff the pockets of another of Nans relatives. Let’s not even think about that.

;o)

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
How many future WNBA-type players does Notre Dame have? Allen, Lloyd and Turner, I know of, but I am not sure how many other players from that team have WNBA-type talent. I didn't see anything from Reimer that would point to WNBA talent at this point.

It just seems to me that SC has a lot more talent than ND. And how is ND going to compete with SC in the paint? Who is going to contain Ibiam, Coates, Wilson and White and compete on the boards?

Some of that talent is redundant because it's all posts bar Mitchell (I know Wilson wants to play outside, but I'll believe it when I see it). So they can only get 3 of those "WNBA-type" talents on the floor at once. Which is the same as Notre Dame.

And if they do try to play Wilson on the wing, the matchup problems cut both ways. Who defends Wilson, but also who does Wilson defend? I'd love to see her try to guard Loyd or chase Mabrey around screens.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maryland was NOT more talented, in terms of star power and depth. Notre Dame had more talent.

But Notre Dame also did not have Achonwa and still destroyed Maryland. That is where the great coaching comes into play.
I think it was also the emotional high of winning one for Natalie - worked once, but that is a tough well to drink from twice.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm ready for the season to start so we can actually stop talking about "what ifs". We open with Southern Cal at home, which will be better than most openers. BTW, we were 10th in home attendance last season and we've already sold about 30% more season tickets this season, with a few weeks before the opener. I think we may end up in the top 4 in attendance this season, which would be a lot of fun.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I received a visitation from a friendly ghost last night who has a part time gig as a comic....says his name is Caspar? Anyway, here are his comments on this top 10 list:

1. UConn (of course)
2. ND (fool me once)
3. South Carolina (who did they play last year, and what was the average margin of victory for teams outside of the top 25? yeah, right)
4. A&M (I just like these guys)
5. Tenn (I just DON'T like these guys)
6. Duke (I just like Cam and Triad)
7. UNC (why not? - Sylvia Hatchell deserves a good year)
8. Baylor (needed to bump up because Project Runway is thinking of doing a segment in Waco for the fashion challenged)
9. Texas (the best steak I ever had was in Texas)
10. Kentucky (Stephen Foster wrote the state song. I like Stephen Foster)

oscar-nominees-2014-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Hey guys, MD fan checking in here. I can say without a doubt, that with the exception of Alyssa Thomas, ND was definitely more talented last year.

Shouldnt you change your username to Iluvbig10 ? :cool:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
UCONN
ND
USC
UCLA
Tenn
Louisville
Maryland
Baylor
Texas A @ M
Texas

Reaction Score
1 UCONN
2 Tennessee
3 South Carolina
4 Duke
5 Notre Dame
6 North Carolina
7 California
8 Maryland
9 aTm
10 Oregon State

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
  1. UConn
  2. Notre Dame
  3. South Carolina
  4. Tennessee
  5. Texas A&M
  6. North Carolina
  7. Baylor
  8. Stanford
  9. Duke
  10. Maryland
11-15: California, Oregon State, Rutgers, Kentucky, Louisville
16-21: Michigan State, UCLA, Texas, Syracuse, Nebraska, DePaul

I know that I should probably drop Stanford, Duke and Baylor more, but I feel very good about the coaching at Stanford and Baylor and I feel pretty good about the talent at Duke.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
  1. UConn
  2. Notre Dame
  3. South Carolina
  4. Tennessee
  5. Texas A&M
  6. North Carolina
  7. Baylor
  8. Stanford
  9. Duke
  10. Maryland
11-15: California, Oregon State, Rutgers, Kentucky, Louisville
16-21: Michigan State, UCLA, Texas, Syracuse, Nebraska, DePaul

I know that I should probably drop Stanford, Duke and Baylor more, but I feel very good about the coaching at Stanford and Baylor and I feel pretty good about the talent at Duke.

Looks pretty good to me. :) :p

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... Speaking of top 10, have we done top 10 funniest posts?
Wow, Rady, great idea. Vowelguy’s pre-season thread, here, is excellent. But elsewhere on the board, everyone seems frustrated we’ve scraped the bottom of the barrel for ways to kill time before the first game. Now, I was about to suggest a thread where ‘Yarders guess each other’s height, but… I gotta admit your idea sounds much better.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And yet somehow, some way South Carolina finished 8th in the nation in scoring margin last season. Out of 343 qualifiers. Led the SEC.

Smoke and mirrors, I guess.
Cream puff schedule. played 1 team in the top 10. what does finishing 8th in scoring have to do with the quality of the team? Squeaking out wins as a 1 seed in the 1st and 2nd rounds only to lose in the sweet 16... got an excuse for that too? :confused:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
SC's strength of schedule was a respectable 26th, but mostly because they play in the SEC. Non-conference schedule ranked 121.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom