Businessweek: UNC presses attack on whistle-blower | The Boneyard

Businessweek: UNC presses attack on whistle-blower

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They sure seem to have sold their souls, and unlike previous scandals at other institutions refuse to admit it.
And I think the NCAA is proving it never had a soul by being so oblivious to what happened. The stark contrast between this case that so clearly involves massive academic fraud by an athletic department going back a very long time and affecting competitive balance with no consequences vs. all their other actions in recent history is amazing. If ever a school deserved the 'death penalty' and the voiding of records, this one does.

Reaction Score
They sure seem to have sold their souls, and unlike previous scandals at other institutions refuse to admit it.
And I think the NCAA is proving it never had a soul by being so oblivious to what happened. The stark contrast between this case that so clearly involves massive academic fraud by an athletic department going back a very long time and affecting competitive balance with no consequences vs. all their other actions in recent history is amazing. If ever a school deserved the 'death penalty' and the voiding of records, this one does.
Nah, they're too busy creating new academic standards that they can apply retroactively to schools like UConn who are the relatively new party crashers to the old hoops guard and making lots of noise in other sports.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It is exceptional; exceptionally dishonest. This is far and away worse than anything SMU (my old alma mater) did to earn THEIR death penalty. And infinitely worse than the little piss-ant academic problems that got the UConn men's team suspended. And they seem to have absolutely no sense of shame about it. UNC just about sums it up.
'

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) I can't agree there - Southern Methodist went after the death penalty with a vengeance and by God, they earned it. That was a truly impressive effort - you gotta admire a school that went on probation about a half-dozen times in a decade....and then ramped things up. That is the gold standard.

2) I sense UNC is trying to move the battle from one playing field to another. They're fighting over literacy rates right now - I'm much more interested in finding out how athletes accumulated approximately 2,100 enrollments in no-show classes.

Near as I can tell, if your athletes have enrolled in 2,100 classes that essentially didn't meet and effectively didn't exist, your reported APR is a work of fiction.

Reaction Score
Just about sums up society as a whole. Instead of admitting the problem existed, working on fixing the problem, and accepting responsibility for it in the first place...go after the one who brought this to the forefront...
UNCcheat indeed...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Old saying; "When a ray of light is admitted into a pigsty, it is always the ray of light that if found offensive."

Reaction Score
1) I can't agree there - Southern Methodist went after the death penalty with a vengeance and by God, they earned it. That was a truly impressive effort - you gotta admire a school that went on probation about a half-dozen times in a decade....and then ramped things up. That is the gold standard.

2) I sense UNC is trying to move the battle from one playing field to another. They're fighting over literacy rates right now - I'm much more interested in finding out how athletes accumulated approximately 2,100 enrollments in no-show classes.

Near as I can tell, if your athletes have enrolled in 2,100 classes that essentially didn't meet and effectively didn't exist, your reported APR is a work of fiction.
This is no time to muddy the water with facts! ;)

45 TO GO

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Only quibble - 'is a work of fiction' falls under the 'I misspoke' classification of prevarications. The more correct statement is:
'I lied', or in this case:
'is a massive fraud!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member