SG Bruce Brown (Miami Commit) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SG Bruce Brown (Miami Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
New video:

Kid can jump, for sure. You can also see just a bit of Jones & Japhet-Mathias.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
There hasn't been a peep of reclassification news on Brown in almost a month. Itching over here.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
New video:

Kid can jump, for sure. You can also see just a bit of Jones & Japhet-Mathias.

I like that he plays with an anger and swagger, something UConn players have been nationally known for in the past and seems to be a good indicator of a player's potential going forward in my eyes.

Reaction Score
I like that he plays with an anger and swagger, something UConn players have been nationally known for in the past and seems to be a good indicator of a player's potential going forward in my eyes.

Great post. He reminds me of Dyson taking it to the rack. One of his videos a while ago I saw some threes, looked fine from deep.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Great post. He reminds me of Dyson taking it to the rack. One of his videos a while ago I saw some threes, looked fine from deep.
His form is good, and you can see that when he has his feet set he can hit shots.

The issue for most young players is knowing how to get their feet set coming off the screen so that they can just catch and shoot. Omar and Rodney, for example, still haven't learned it. Ray, Rip & Lamb were all masterful at it.

It is an important skill going forward, and one of the main ways AAU ball - which stresses penetration and kick-outs more than good, cohesive off-the-ball movement - does a disservice to top prospects.

Reaction Score
Went back and watched his game. He is very active and has good skills and a solid looking jumper in terms of form. I think he is one of our answers. Really hope we get him.

Last edited:

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when the deadline (of sorts) is for deciding whether or not players reclassify? I feel like it has to be soon. The end of the academic year isn't far away as it is.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
This is a NICE play by Brown. Hard dribble across the top of the key with this off hand, draws help, recognizes the weak-side defender rotate away from the corner, and - no hesitation - finds the shooter:

https://vine.co/v/OYILEwQvHJ0

That shows he understands a bit about the angles of the game, where the gaps happen and how to exploit them.

Obviously execution gets harder as you move up a level, but seeing him generate shots for his teammates via something other than drive-and-dish is very promising. Especially since he's never been a primary ball-handler.

EDIT: And we all know that if it was Omar, Rodney or DHam in the corner, he'd have pump-faked 4 times and given the defense enough time to recover. But still.

Reaction Score
This is a NICE play by Brown. Hard dribble across the top of the key with this off hand, draws help, recognizes the weak-side defender rotate away from the corner, and - no hesitation - finds the shooter:

https://vine.co/v/OYILEwQvHJ0

That shows he understands a bit about the angles of the game, where the gaps happen and how to exploit them.

Obviously execution gets harder as you move up a level, but seeing him generate shots for his teammates via something other than drive-and-dish is very promising. Especially since he's never been a primary ball-handler.

EDIT: And we all know that if it was Omar, Rodney or DHam in the corner, he'd have pump-faked 4 times and given the defense enough time to recover. But still.
I've complained a lot about that, justly I think. But March Purvis--and especially AAC tournament Purvis--cut down on the wasted movement a lot.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when the deadline (of sorts) is for deciding whether or not players reclassify? I feel like it has to be soon. The end of the academic year isn't far away as it is.
I could be mistaken but I believe that Napier & Olander both reclassified late April/early May of 2010.

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I've complained a lot about that, justly I think. But March Purvis--and especially AAC tournament Purvis--cut down on the wasted movement a lot.
Very true. If we get the Rodney of the last 6 or 7 games of the year for the majority of 2015/16, we'll be in good shape.

Regardless, all our perimeter guys need to watch tape on how to come off a screen ready to shoot. Footwork, balance and reps.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
correct. http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2010/04/lawrence-academy-coach-kevin-w.html

laughing out loud at some of the comments on the bottom, claiming napier was a project... I suspect they are probably still posters here. uconn fans bitching about recruiting isn't a new thing
Comment:
By Christopher Hall on April 3, 2010 1:26 AM
So basically, now that Napier has given a verbal and is pushing for a bid in the 2010 class, we're going to have WAY less of a chance on getting players like D. Lamb, Brandon Knight, C. Joseph, etc? And out of our 5 incomers for next year, only 2 fall within Rivals.com 150 players (Smith and Jeremy Lamb) ? I'm not that impressed. Seems like Shabazz, Olander and Bradley are all major projects. Let's get a TOP recruit with a lot of talent and promise for our program. Anybody else with me?

Lmao

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
correct http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2010/04/lawrence-academy-coach-kevin-w.html

laughing out loud at some of the comments on the bottom, claiming napier was a project... I suspect they are probably still posters here. uconn fans bitching about recruiting isn't a new thing
Nice find James!

This one is my favorite:

"Take this as a sign that Calhoun knows he's not getting any of the top recruits still out there. UConn has no big men and no top level recruits, even at the guard position, coming in next year. Sorry to say this fellow Husky fans but next year is looking to be even uglier than this year. How do you spell "Poor Recruiting"? NIT!"

Yeah, 2010-2011 was even uglier than 2009-2010.

Reaction Score
I've seen that clown on twitter, so I guess being an idiot goes way back for him. Might just have to get my troll on and tweet this link at him.

Comment:
By Christopher Hall on April 3, 2010 1:26 AM
So basically, now that Napier has given a verbal and is pushing for a bid in the 2010 class, we're going to have WAY less of a chance on getting players like D. Lamb, Brandon Knight, C. Joseph, etc? And out of our 5 incomers for next year, only 2 fall within Rivals.com 150 players (Smith and Jeremy Lamb) ? I'm not that impressed. Seems like Shabazz, Olander and Bradley are all major projects. Let's get a TOP recruit with a lot of talent and promise for our program. Anybody else with me?

Lmao

Reaction Score
I really want this kid in a UConn jersey. Again, not saying he'll be anything close to as good as Westbrook but his style of play reminds me of him. He is really athletic and brings a football style to the court, kid is a gamer.

I see so many high school players get compared to Westbrook based off of fast break dunks.

Reaction Score
Shaka was already recruiting him to VCU. Actually I believe him and Jones visited this year.
I know, but it's a clear sign that Brown is a top priority when he immediately gets an offer a few hours after Shaka takes the Texas job.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I can't remember the last time UT brought anyone down from New England. Dunno if even Shaka can pull it off.

caw

Reaction Score
I know, but it's a clear sign that Brown is a top priority when he immediately gets an offer a few hours after Shaka takes the Texas job.

Or a sign he's a bit desperate and thinks UTs recruits won't stay?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can't remember the last time UT brought anyone down from New England. Dunno if even Shaka can pull it off.

They recruited the Turkish kid out of Brewster Academy a few years back and Barnes frequently recruited Toronto.

Can easily imagine a superior recruiter like Smart taking a kid out of New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom