Brittney Griner & Glory Johnson Arrested for Assault | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brittney Griner & Glory Johnson Arrested for Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes. It is bad PR for the WNBA, women's college basketball, and Baylor and TN.
Yes it is, reading the police report with Brit saying they had been arguing for days after just purchasing the house two days prior. Blaming it on the stress of planning a wedding ??? This is Jerry Springer material.

Well , if not, better to find out now BEFORE the marriage.
You got that right, does not sound like holymattressmony here. No mention if one or the other has asked for pre-nups yet, that could be round two for sure...

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Griner is one of the star attractions in the WNBA. I can't imagine the league suspending
her for the season over something like this. I would be surprised if she and Johnson are
suspended even for one game.
No doubt you are right....what got my attention is the possibility if she were to be out an extended period, that would be grist for the mill of the people who say they would try to lose to increase their odds at next year's #1 draft pick ala what they were accused of with Brittney.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Wasn't this a private matter on private property?

Once they called the police, it became a criminal and public matter. Unfortunately the cops were called and now both Glory and Brittany have to live with their mug shots living in infinity on the internet and depending on how serious the criminal charges are, having to live with criminal records. When the police are called, things can escalate pretty quickly and what began as a simple domestic disturbance could turn into a life or death situation. We do hear of Griner having attitude problems, but she has had to endure amazing harassment concerning her sexual orientation, gender issues, and looks..So with that said, I can understand if Griner has a bit of an edge to her personality..

Reaction Score
Firstly, I hope everyone is ok. Secondly, if Griner is suspended for the season plus no DT3, is this a potential for the Merc to go after Stewie?
It will have the appearance of the Indy Suck for Luck...

Reaction Score
That may turn out to be an accurate prediction, but given the high profile cases in the NFL this past season it wouldn't be surprising to see all the other Leagues create special policies as incidents crop up. Here's a chance for the WNBA to step up (Or not). There certainly are thousands of domestic violence situations every day but that doesn't mean it's something to take lightly.

This is actually a very important precedent for the WBNA to set. This is domestic violence, plain and simple. I think a lot of people are writing this off because it's domestic violence by a woman (actually two women), but it shouldn't matter whether its man on woman, woman on man, man on man or woman on woman. It's domestic violence and should be treated as a precedent setting scenario.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This is actually a very important precedent for the WBNA to set. This is domestic violence, plain and simple. I think a lot of people are writing this off because it's domestic violence by a woman (actually two women), but it shouldn't matter whether its man on woman, woman on man, man on man or woman on woman. It's domestic violence and should be treated as a precedent setting scenario.
As I have said, certainly some league punishment is in order. I'm not trying to minimize the incident, but what exactly are we as society trying to do? I would assume sending a message that physical fighting between couples of any sort is a no-no.

But, if one was an NBA male and one a WNBA female, and the NBA male ends up doing more damage on the female than vice versa - punish them equally? Or take the societal view that its always the man's fault for striking the woman and only punish the male? Or what, exactly?

I just think you can punish those involved and show an incident as unacceptable to the rest of the world without raising it to the level of, for want of a better term, a federal case. If no police had been called, by family no less, we wouldn't even know about it.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Thank God there are no children involved yet, at least till they sort this out.

Reaction Score
There are easily a thousand of this type of domestic situation every day. One party files a charge and the other party files a counter charge. The police arrest both and in a couple of days both charges are dropped.

No one will be tried in court and no one will be suspended.

Hopefully that will not be the case. If a battered women doesn't want to press charges against an NFL star, should charges not be filed if there is evidence of assault? Should the NFL not suspend the player?

Reaction Score
If they don't patch things up and part ways I am going to be at the first Tulsa vs Phoenix game. That would make for interesting drama.
Haha - might get either DT-type "smooch" technical or a BG-type "Barncastle haymaker" technical...

Reaction Score
Been married for 39 years...have had many disagreements but never have laid a hand on her nor she on me. Brittney Griner's history with physical assault isn't that good maybe it is time for some anger management classes.
She already tried that

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
There are easily a thousand of this type of domestic situation every day. One party files a charge and the other party files a counter charge. The police arrest both and in a couple of days both charges are dropped.

No one will be tried in court and no one will be suspended.

That is most likely what will happen, but it's quite disappointing. Having grown up in a household where there was domestic abuse, I feel for Brittney and Glory. It's an epidemic in this country.

Reaction Score
Hopefully that will not be the case. If a battered women doesn't want to press charges against an NFL star, should charges not be filed if there is evidence of assault? Should the NFL not suspend the player?

The only evidence is the testimony of the two who got arrested along with the relative who reportedly called the police. If none of them is willing to testify the prosecutor has little chance of winning a conviction against anyone.

I've know several officers and they have told me most of these incidents involve either money or infidelity and usually are alcohol related. The officers I know found these calls to be the most dangerous for them due to the extreme emotions at play. My guess is that both will go into counselling and in a few months will have the charges dropped or will plead to disturbing the peace at worst.

I wonder if Glory was showing Britany how to attack a face with an elbow instead of a fist and things just out of control. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not a good sign. I just hope that they can patch things up and figure out how to be a happy couple.

Not likely.

This doesn't bode well for them staying together. Johnson seems to be kind of a fireball. I didn't like the way she elbowed Emma Meeseman in the eye last year.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Unfortunately people learn from their environment growing up and many grow up where some issues get resolved physically, and that carries over into their adulthood and their own behavior. Adrian Peterson is a case in point - he treated his child in a manner he learned from his parents - awful, but true - and many people saw nothing wrong with it.
Peterson's situation was weird because the child was about 4 yrs old... what could a 4 yr old do to deserve blood being drawn. I would have to blame those who we're "suppose to be there supervising/babysitting" the child. His excuse was wack, and I grew up in the "go get me a switch" era.

As for BG and GJ... they show pics of the new puppy, engagement rings, wedding invitations and the new Mercedes... so many are shocked about this situation.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That may turn out to be an accurate prediction, but given the high profile cases in the NFL this past season it wouldn't be surprising to see all the other Leagues create special policies as incidents crop up. Here's a chance for the WNBA to step up (Or not). There certainly are thousands of domestic violence situations every day but that doesn't mean it's something to take lightly.
and lets not forget the Holdsclaw shooting situation... not sure if she was in the league or not but her partner (or EX partner) was

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The disturbing the peace charge does not depend on any testimony from anyone but the police - basically it is open and shut because the police were called. They will get a slap on the wrist and probably a fine to cover costs.
The other charges will be dropped I am sure, unless one of the participants chooses to pursue which is very unlikely.

And I would think a fairly minor punishment from the league to both players - a few games suspension.

In most domestic abuse cases the male, or is the cases where children are involved the adult, is physically superior and the woman or child is seen as the victim. In this case with two fairly equally matched athletes I doubt either would claim to be a victim.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The disturbing the peace charge does not depend on any testimony from anyone but the police - basically it is open and shut because the police were called. They will get a slap on the wrist and probably a fine to cover costs.
The other charges will be dropped I am sure, unless one of the participants chooses to pursue which is very unlikely.

And I would think a fairly minor punishment from the league to both players - a few games suspension.

In most domestic abuse cases the male, or is the cases where children are involved the adult, is physically superior and the woman or child is seen as the victim. In this case with two fairly equally matched athletes I doubt either would claim to be a victim.

One does not need to be physically weaker to be a "victim" or physically stronger to be the "instigator", though it is typical. Unfortunately, domestic abuse is way too common.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The only evidence is the testimony of the two who got arrested along with the relative who reportedly called the police. If none of them is willing to testify the prosecutor has little chance of winning a conviction against anyone.

I've know several officers and they have told me most of these incidents involve either money or infidelity and usually are alcohol related. The officers I know found these calls to be the most dangerous for them due to the extreme emotions at play. My guess is that both will go into counselling and in a few months will have the charges dropped or will plead to disturbing the peace at worst.

I wonder if Glory was showing Britany how to attack a face with an elbow instead of a fist and things just out of control. :rolleyes:

This is no longer true in some states, especially, when there is physical evidence of injuries and other physical evidence at the site of the altercation.

Reaction Score
Brittney Griner incident could shed light on long-taboo subject of same-sex domestic violence.

When all is pled and done, this could turn out to be the greatest assist of Brittney Griner's career.

Reports on Thursday that the Mercury star and her fiancée were arrested on suspicion of assault and disorderly conduct shed light on an issue that has been ignored by sports leagues, avoided by media and mocked by fans: same-sex domestic violence.

This period of hyper-sensitivity toward abuse issues is a good thing. It might not feel that way to Griner and her partner, Glory Johnson of the Tulsa Shock, but the long, Title IX-fueled journey for equal opportunity must also include equal coverage of tough storylines.

Their story is not unique. In 2012, former WNBA standout Chamique Holdsclaw was arrested after taking a bat to her ex-girlfriend's car and firing a handgun into it. She pled guilty to aggravated assault and later revealed she suffered from bipolar disorder.

It's a real concern. A 2014 survey by the National Violence Against Women Prevention Research Center found that 21.5 percent of men and 35.4 percent of women living with same-sex partners experienced intimate-partner physical violence in their lifetimes, numbers significantly higher than opposite-sex relationships.

[LINK] to full article

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Brittney Griner incident could shed light on long-taboo subject of same-sex domestic violence.

When all is pled and done, this could turn out to be the greatest assist of Brittney Griner's career.

Reports on Thursday that the Mercury star and her fiancée were arrested on suspicion of assault and disorderly conduct shed light on an issue that has been ignored by sports leagues, avoided by media and mocked by fans: same-sex domestic violence.

This period of hyper-sensitivity toward abuse issues is a good thing. It might not feel that way to Griner and her partner, Glory Johnson of the Tulsa Shock, but the long, Title IX-fueled journey for equal opportunity must also include equal coverage of tough storylines.

Their story is not unique. In 2012, former WNBA standout Chamique Holdsclaw was arrested after taking a bat to her ex-girlfriend's car and firing a handgun into it. She pled guilty to aggravated assault and later revealed she suffered from bipolar disorder.

It's a real concern. A 2014 survey by the National Violence Against Women Prevention Research Center found that 21.5 percent of men and 35.4 percent of women living with same-sex partners experienced intimate-partner physical violence in their lifetimes, numbers significantly higher than opposite-sex relationships.

[LINK] to full article

Gender should be irrelevant. Whether intrasex relationships or intersex relationships the laws against abuse should be blind except to the acts of abuse and violence involved.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Holdsclaw incident was pretty freaky didn't she try to light on it fire or something as well? That may more of a mental illness kind of a thing.

When I heard this I poopahed it as scufflebut it sounds like it was a real knock down drag out brawl:

Griner told police that she and Johnson had been arguing every day and got into each other's faces Wednesday afternoon in the home they had bought two days earlier after Johnson said Griner "disrespected" her, according to a police report.
Johnson told police Griner had gotten too close, so she pushed her back to get some separation and began talking to her sister, Judy Johnson, when she was pushed in the back of the head by Griner. Glory Johnson turned around and the physical altercation began, with both fighting on the floor for 4 to 6 minutes. The entire episode lasted about 20 minutes, according to the report.

Griner had a laceration on her right wrist and a tooth mark on the middle finger of her right hand after it ended up in Johnson's mouth, according to the police report. Johnson, who plays for the Tulsa Shock, had a cut on her lip and Julio Trejo, a friend of Griner's, had a cut on his neck after trying to break up the fight. All three declined medical attention. Griner also said she broke a dog bowl after throwing it against a wall during the argument.
Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline