Brittney Griner & Glory Johnson Arrested for Assault | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brittney Griner & Glory Johnson Arrested for Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a good sign. I just hope that they can patch things up and figure out how to be a happy couple.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Not a good sign. I just hope that they can patch things up and figure out how to be a happy couple.

Well , if not, better to find out now BEFORE the marriage.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If a crime is committed, it is irrelevant if it is on private property.

My niece and her girlfriend got into a minor scuffle on private property and both were arrested and charged with assault.

Reaction Score
Will the standards be the same as for the NFL?

If it were, the minimum would be a suspension, without pay, for 37.5% of the season - with a probability of it being longer due to repeated striking.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Been married for 39 years...have had many disagreements but never have laid a hand on her nor she on me. Brittney Griner's history with physical assault isn't that good maybe it is time for some anger management classes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Unfortunately people learn from their environment growing up and many grow up where some issues get resolved physically, and that carries over into their adulthood and their own behavior. Adrian Peterson is a case in point - he treated his child in a manner he learned from his parents - awful, but true - and many people saw nothing wrong with it.

I believe the WNBA needs to treat this in the same manner as any domestic abuse case - to do otherwise would be to allow sexism into the equation. I don't know if they actually have rules - as far as I know the NFL is the only league to have specific rules in place.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Unfortunately people learn from their environment growing up and many grow up where some issues get resolved physically, and that carries over into their adulthood and their own behavior. Adrian Peterson is a case in point - he treated his child in a manner he learned from his parents - awful, but true - and many people saw nothing wrong with it.

I believe the WNBA needs to treat this in the same manner as any domestic abuse case - to do otherwise would be to allow sexism into the equation. I don't know if they actually have rules - as far as I know the NFL is the only league to have specific rules in place.

So they would BOTH have to be punished, right? Since they are both players in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
There are easily a thousand of this type of domestic situation every day. One party files a charge and the other party files a counter charge. The police arrest both and in a couple of days both charges are dropped.

No one will be tried in court and no one will be suspended.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So they would BOTH have to be punished, right? Since they are both players in the WNBA.
Yes - both.
And to ETTs question about the title - Griner is definitely the most famous of the two and the more successful professionally which usually leads to being the 'headliner'

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
There are easily a thousand of this type of domestic situation every day. One party files a charge and the other party files a counter charge. The police arrest both and in a couple of days both charges are dropped.

That may turn out to be an accurate prediction, but given the high profile cases in the NFL this past season it wouldn't be surprising to see all the other Leagues create special policies as incidents crop up. Here's a chance for the WNBA to step up (Or not). There certainly are thousands of domestic violence situations every day but that doesn't mean it's something to take lightly.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Not sure if that's exactly how it works, but essentially, I agree. Not much going to come of this, legal wise. Nor is every domestic disagreement really a federal case, although I do believe that we need to work as a society to curb the abuse of the more vulnerable by the stronger. No particular evidence that this is the case here.

27+ years ago when we were engaged I remember my wife winging something (I think the ring) in my direction in my place of employment. 27+ years of happiness once that was settled. No, we never laid hands on each other that way - I think both of us would consider that an unforgivable line - but serious disagreements do happen and provoke reactions and are not federal cases.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
this saddens me for so many reasons. The obvious, no one should ever put their hands on someone without consent, and certainly not in anger.
Just a comment - one of my least favorite lines on the planet.

I personally hate being touched by anyone but my wife. To the point that I tend not to shake hands when possible, and don't ask my opinion of "huggers'.

But not everyone is that way. If someone touches me without sexual or anger intent, oh well. I have seen situations where someone has had their shoulder tapped on and have responded with the line above. Part of a well adjusted society includes touching, whether I like it or not.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Been married for 39 years...have had many disagreements but never have laid a hand on her nor she on me. Brittney Griner's history with physical assault isn't that good maybe it is time for some anger management classes.

History...are you referring to the Barncastle incident and that one alone? Or are there other incidents?

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
The WNBA has to be careful here... as does the parent NBA. This IS a case of domestic violence and should be dealt with that way. Both players should receive the same warning or punishment unless the facts clearly indicate that one or the other was the clear aggressor. It should be no different than if an NBA player assaulted his wife or a WNBA player assaulted her husband. Where it happened is irrelevant.

One thing's for sure, though. The honeymoon is over, even before it began.

Reaction Score
Firstly, I hope everyone is ok. Secondly, if Griner is suspended for the season plus no DT3, is this a potential for the Merc to go after Stewie?

Griner is one of the star attractions in the WNBA. I can't imagine the league suspending
her for the season over something like this. I would be surprised if she and Johnson are
suspended even for one game.

JS

Reaction Score
History...are you referring to the Barncastle incident and that one alone? Or are there other incidents?
Yeah, my cheap shot antennae gave a twitch with that one. I'm not aware of any other incidents, particularly not as an adult, although there seems to be some kind of juvie history there:

That game at Texas Tech [the Barncastle incident] would be the last one I played without constantly reminding myself I needed to stay levelheaded. I wanted so much to redeem myself. The hardest part was that nobody really understood my history of fighting. I think Kim knew, just from us talking here and there, that I had some conflicts when I was younger -- "altercations," she called them. But nobody at Baylor, and certainly nobody in the media, had any idea how much I had struggled as a kid, trying to solve my problems and hide my insecurities by raising my fists...

In the years after "the punch," the storyline became that I had made this one mistake, and it was totally out of character for me. She's just a big teddy bear. A gentle giant. I was glad people were willing to forgive what I had done, but I also felt a little uncomfortable with how simplified everything was -- all neat and tidy and fixed -- when the reality was that I had worked hard to control my anger.

Brittney Griner,
from her book In My Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member