Brittney Griner files to have marriage to Glory Johnson annulled | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brittney Griner files to have marriage to Glory Johnson annulled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nothing in this thread has mentioned punishment. However, if I were NIKE or whoever I would pull endorsements. Bad role model from the first punch.
When has Nike been concerned with role modeling? (Ref. Charles Barkley's famous, "I am not a role model" Nike commercial). There was even buzz that Nike orchestrated Kobe's rape allegations to give him more "street cred".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When has Nike been concerned with role modeling? (Ref. Charles Barkley's famous, "I am not a role model" Nike commercial). There was even buzz that Nike orchestrated Kobe's rape allegations to give him more "street cred".
Since the FIFA blow up. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This is like something out of a soap opera. You simply can't make up anything that has been more crazy and tumultuous. I feel badly for both of them, but in a way feel more say for the LGBT community in that the relationship contained violence, an apparently unwanted pregnancy, and now an annulment. It does not "reflect" well as the LGBT community pushes for equal marriage rights across the nation and thru the Supreme Court.

On the flip side, their "story" is really no different from many "straight" stories - I guess it goes to show - gay or straight - people can make really bad decisions in relationships!
I guess it is no surprise that there are as many screwed-up people in the LGBT community as in the straight community. These two confused souls, poster children for making bad decisions because you can, are a long way from being role models for LGBT people.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As to the charges being dropped against Glory - well, there you go. According to the lawyer, the prosecutor couldn't handle both individuals being both a victim and an aggressor, and therefore already have the "aggressor".

Which I guess means that in any fight (bar fight, whatever) only the person who started the fight gets charged?

Then again, this is Arizona.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The WNBA is playing like the little Dutch boy placing his finger in the dike, hoping no more sordid stories about their players come out.
The NBA and NFL went through similar P.R. problems. I am very worried. Pro WBB in the USA is fragile and I would hate to see it fail.
I recently moved to Duke/UNC country and nobody seems to care about WBB.

Welcome..... hope you are enjoying this heat. Well since the Sting closed up shop..... the WNBA gets zero attention here.... though this Griner thing has been a topic of local sports radio recently. Granted its not Connecticut.... but there is a dedicated group of WBB fans here in NC. It just gets swallowed up because of the pro franchises .. the Panthers.... Hornets... Hurricanes... as well as 4 ACC schools and their football and men's basketball teams..... plus East Carolina football.

and they have good reason... UConn!

img_2616.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As to the charges being dropped against Glory - well, there you go. According to the lawyer, the prosecutor couldn't handle both individuals being both a victim and an aggressor, and therefore already have the "aggressor".

Which I guess means that in any fight (bar fight, whatever) only the person who started the fight gets charged?

Then again, this is Arizona.

No, no no, if you watch sports you know it is always the second person who responds who gets the foul.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think annulment can be based on the marriage not being consummated. Now, how is THAT defined in this case?
That's one of the reasons but there are others. Plus, there are two types of annulments - the legal type and also one in the Catholic church.

I was actually a witness in an annulment for a friend of mine. The couple had divorced and he, my friend, wanted an annulment so he could remarry in the Catholic church. I had to find a nice way to say the woman was bat**** crazy (I TOLD him not to marry that loony-tune) but it was that she told me she never wanted children that sealed the deal for the annulment. Messy business all around, though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I guess it is no surprise that there are as many screwed-up people in the LGBT community as in the straight community. These two confused souls, poster children for making bad decisions because you can, are a long way from being role models for LGBT people.
Agree with one proviso - sociologically I think you would expect any ostracized/marginalized/criminalized group within a society to exhibit a greater percentage of behavioral issues than the society at large. Luckily for the LGBT community that is changing, but they still face biases that are greater than the norm.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's one of the reasons but there are others. Plus, there are two types of annulments - the legal type and also one in the Catholic church.

I was actually a witness in an annulment for a friend of mine. The couple had divorced and he, my friend, wanted an annulment so he could remarry in the Catholic church. I had to find a nice way to say the woman was bat**** crazy (I TOLD him not to marry that loony-tune) but it was that she told me she never wanted children that sealed the deal for the annulment. Messy business all around, though.
What you are talking about, Nan, is an annulment on the basis that the person was unable to enter into marital contract/commitment freely because of mental defect, lack of freedom of conscience, or previous commitment and therefore was not free to make make marital promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom