Brand experimentation | The Boneyard

Brand experimentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, the second grand experiment in less than a week ended in another train wreck . We just don't have the fanbase to put on 2 nearly overlapping events in the same night. Tonight Gampel was packed with Stanford and last year NC banner event but the XL was hurting. True kids were off from school but most mom's and dads had to work so they had no way to get to the 3 pm game. My own view is stay away from trying to stage these double events and try to focus on one quality event at a time. The UC students were complete non shows for the men's game. The jokers who want them to fill the lower sections just don't go to games and see they don't even fill the one behind the basket area.

Reaction Score
Not a smart idea to have a game in a time slot where most students have a class, not to mention how much of a pain it is to get there.

Reaction Score
Don't think it was UConn's choice to have a double header. It seems like their hands were tied by ESPN:

"Why 3 p.m.? Well, originally, the game was slated for this evening, with the UConn women facing Stanford Sunday night. But ESPN wanted the women's game, so the men looked into switching to Sunday. However, Yale played Saturday in the Connecticut 6, so it wasn't about to play on back-to-back days."

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2013/11/uconn-and-yales-businessmans-special.html?m=1

I think UConn did try to make the best of a bad situation by trying to package the games together for $25, but 3pm on a Monday is tough no matter what.

Reaction Score
To defend the students a little bit. For a Monday game at the XL center, you need to buy a bus ticket by Thursday at 4pm. Believe it or not, that's not the largest priority for a student Thursday at 4pm.

Reaction Score
Just another argument to expand Gampel or replace it as a basketball/hockey facility, on-campus, and reduce the number of games in Hartford to 3 or 4 a year (preferably during school breaks) plus a game or two in Bridgeport and a game or two in NYC.

Reaction Score
Did you notice the age of most of the fans at the women's game? It's a different fan base.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So far UConn has played 2 basketball games. One at 6:30 on a football game night and one at 3:00 on a weekday. Those are mid-major timeslots, the new reality.

Reaction Score
So far UConn has played 2 basketball games. One at 6:30 on a football game night and one at 3:00 on a weekday. Those are mid-major timeslots, the new reality.

Yea, you obviously haven't looked at the rest of the t.v. schedule.

Reaction Score
Mid-major is what St Mary's had to do last night- play at mid-night to get on ESPN. We had the men's basketball kick-off followed by the UConn football game on national television. I live in California and Cal and Stanford would die for that set-up!

Reaction Score
Yep. Welcome to life in the AAC...can't wait for the 7:30 AM bracket buster against Tulane...

Reaction Score
Mid-major is what St Mary's had to do last night- play at mid-night to get on ESPN. We had the men's basketball kick-off followed by the UConn football game on national television. I live in California and Cal and Stanford would die for that set-up!
Nonsense. Not one Major program would play a basketball game immediately proceeding a home football game. We did it in order to play a "national power" Maryland. After all they are ranked, well they aren't but at least it was in New York...sort of...

Reaction Score
Did you notice the age of most of the fans at the women's game? It's a different fan base.
I lot of the crowd at the men's game was typical women's fans. Seniors with grand kids babysitting

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Not one Major program would play a basketball game immediately proceeding a home football game. We did it in order to play a "national power" Maryland. After all they are ranked, well they aren't but at least it was in New York...sort of...

This is a football issue not a basketball issue. Playing Thursday and Friday nights to get on national TV, which has always been something we've had to do. Nothing at all small time about playing Maryland Friday night in Barclays.

Reaction Score
UConn

LOL, UConn played a basketball game last year prior to a UConn-Pitt home game at East Hartford. Nov. 9, 2012.

Why are people freaking out over something that has been done before?

Not to mention, the game against Maryland was the FIRST basketball game shown on ESPN this year. Which is a nice perk.

Reaction Score
I couldn't even find ratings on either game, so I'm not so sure that Friday at 6 was a great timeslot...plus they were up against North Carolina-somebody and a Modern Family marathon on USA! this scheduling basketball games against football is just dumb and Warde really ought to stop. This year was worse because the basketball game was within "commuting" distance so at least some fans made the trek to Brooklyn rather than the Rent. Playing in Germany was quite a different thing. Even then I'd have preferred each game be on a different day, or noon and 7 on the same day. Again, Call me when a Power 5 team does this kind of scheduling.

Reaction Score
I couldn't even find ratings on either game, so I'm not so sure that Friday at 6 was a great timeslot...plus they were up against North Carolina-somebody and a Modern Family marathon on USA! this scheduling basketball games against football is just dumb and Warde really ought to stop. This year was worse because the basketball game was within "commuting" distance so at least some fans made the trek to Brooklyn rather than the Rent. Playing in Germany was quite a different thing. Even then I'd have preferred each game be on a different day, or noon and 7 on the same day. Again, Call me when a Power 5 team does this kind of scheduling.

Yeah, I never want to see UConn play Michigan St. to kick off the bballs eason ever again! What a debacle that was last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom