Bracketology: Top 16 Teams Set? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bracketology: Top 16 Teams Set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm sure you didn't do this on purpose, but Temple had a couple of bad losses that you omitted. If you are counting losses to Northwestern (RPI 100) as bad for Indiana, than you certainly also have to count Temple's losses to Memphis (RPI 113) and St. Joseph's (RPI 118) in addition to their loss to SMU (RPI 197). (The Temple loss to Quinnipiac (RPI 85) really wasn't that bad.) There is a reason that Temple's RPI is 70: they had 11 losses with a SOS that was 79th toughest in the country.

I agree that Iowa should not be a tourney team, and I do not see why Creme has them pegged as one. I feel the same way about Purdue. They are closer to inclusion than Iowa, but they have a very low chance to make it (IMO).

St. Louis did not beat MEN (???). Their best wins are DUQ (as you listed) and VCU.

Creme may have been excellent at tabbing all the at-large teams the past 2 years, but I think that changes this year.
Thanks for the corrections -
I was just giving the two worst losses for each team as well as the two best wins - I only added a third when I wasn't sure which of two teams in either category would be considered better. I was not looking up the RPIs for all their losses and while Quinnipiac may have a better RPI they play in a much worse conference and St Joe's with an SOS of 50 and Memphis with a SOS of 135 are both significantly higher than Quin's 196. all three are clearly bad losses.
And St. Louis did beat MEMphis (typo!) though you are correct, I should have put VCU in based on RPI. (I sort of like using OOC in comparisons when it is close just because in conference is less descriptive.)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for the corrections -
I was just giving the two worst losses for each team as well as the two best wins - I only added a third when I wasn't sure which of two teams in either category would be considered better. I was not looking up the RPIs for all their losses and while Quinnipiac may have a better RPI they play in a much worse conference and St Joe's with an SOS of 50 and Memphis with a SOS of 135 are both significantly higher than Quin's 196. all three are clearly bad losses.
And St. Louis did beat MEMphis (typo!) though you are correct, I should have put VCU in based on RPI. (I sort of like using OOC in comparisons when it is close just because in conference is less descriptive.)
I didn't look up all their RPI's either! I just used this page: LINK All the information is summarized nicely.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Choke - hadn't seen this site. It is great! Thanks.

Sort of a bizarre anomaly shows up in Baylor's schedule with the complete blank between top 50 and 100+ RPI opponents - you couldn't plan something like that with Kansas State just squeezing in below 50 and TCU just rising above 100 but it does sort of jump out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well a new team added to the back end of the bubble in FGCU - who just lost for the first time in forever on their home court going down in the championship game to Jacksonville. With an RPI of 71 they are unlikely to get in, but they had an interesting win against Auburn. This loss causes a little ripple in the Auburn resume as a bubble team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Choke - that site is really illuminating - you look at the resumes of Iowa, Indiana, and Purdue (especially if you actually think about their Louisville win which was during a 1-4 start to the season - not the highly regarded Louisville of March) and it is hard to believe all three deserve inclusion or 2 of three. Heck VCU which isn't even considered bubble worthy looks better as does Villanova even if they have a player injured.
Iowa - best OOC win #91 RPI Northern Iowa (who they probably had to schedule) they played GW RPI 24 and lost, and the rest of their sub 100 OOC was #93 and #99. Only sub 50 win is #46 Indiana
Perdue - played and lost to Stanford OOC and beat three #60-82 RPI teams for their only other sub 100 OOC - if you discount the Louisville win which I do, the only sub 50 RPI win is again #46 Indiana.
Indiana at least played 4 sub 50 RPI teams OOC and beat #40 Chattanooga and played Ohio #51 and GaTech #70 beating the later. Their claim to fame a win against MSU.
And from the SEC we get:
Auburn - played three OOC to sub 100 RPI teams losing to #71 FGCU and #98 Marquette and beating #80 Minn. Add in another loss to the next highest RPI team they played #111 UVA. Their claim to fame, wins against their notoriously inconsistent SEC brethren KY, FL, and Missouri.

You begin to see that the whole strength or these teams is centered around the RPI of their conference - with the exception of Indiana they don't play anyone OOC, and depend on playing playing and generally losing to their stronger conference teammates to hide behind a 'better' RPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom