BOT Set To Approve $10M Gampel Roof Repair | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BOT Set To Approve $10M Gampel Roof Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's important to note that this isn't merely superficial. They're including the cost of fixing the exterior and re-sealing it to reduce/prevent leakage.
Still seems like a heck of a lot of money. Someone(s) getting greased

Reaction Score
Finally the eyesore will be gone.

Project Budget (Revised Planning) for Gampel Pavilion Dome Ceiling and Roof Repair (Attachment 09)

Was in Gampel on Sunday after I dropped a few $$ at the bookstore. The ceiling looked awful but you ask the question about how difficult it is to get to the spots that need repair. That has to be a fair amt of the work to just set up the infrastructure to get to the entire roof.

Reaction Score
Wow 10 Million to repair the roof. That is almost the price of some practice facilities. LOL!
I know it was 25 years ago but kind of crazy that the whole building cost $28 million to construct and now it cost $10 million just to fix the ceiling tiles.

Reaction Score
I know it was 25 years ago but kind of crazy that the whole building cost $28 million to construct and now it cost $10 million just to fix the ceiling tiles.

"Just to fix the ceiling tiles" makes it sound like they aren't doing major work on the entire interior and exterior of the roof. If you say "just to have the whole roof refurbished" it doesn't sound like quite as small a job.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah but they are adding a new code "compliant tie off and access system." It's not easy to find a Hefty trash bag big enough cover the entire structure.

CL82

Reaction Score
52077034.jpg
Hey you owe me royalties on that meme....;).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We are the keepers of the flame.
Now that you mention it, I'm sure some of that $10M could be put aside for an eternal flame memorial to Patoni at one of the entrances to Gampel.

I'm thinking of a box with a constant orange-yellow glow, like one would observe when the master was firing his kiln.

Reaction Score
Why not just strip off the fabric and have the metal show? Wouldn't this make the place louder!?
My #1 or 2 issue with Gampel has always been that the cloth roof kind of absorbs sound. IMO this is why it becomes deathly silent in there when a UConn player is shooting a free throw. I think the silence is unnerving.

We used to shout to each other across the arena when John Gwynn was shooting back in the day; "MEET AT SOUTH ENTRANCE AT HALFTIME!"

CL82

Reaction Score
The entrance to the Werth Family Champions Center has a tile representation of a basketball net that was intended as a tribute to Enzo and his cathedral of basketball. That's probably enough. The Maestro was a humble man.

CL82

Reaction Score
The entrance to the Werth Family Champions Center has a tile representation of a basketball net that was intended as a tribute to Enzo and his cathedral of basketball. That's probably enough. As his family said at the dedication, the Maestro was a humble man.

Reaction Score
What an expensive band-aid
Courant reports 5.5 - 6.5 M for roof repair. Balance for improved lower bowl seating, updated electrical and sattelite system. A new 500k lighting system that was approved earlier will be completed this summer.

CL82

Reaction Score
Courant reports 5.5 - 6.5 M for roof repair. Balance for improved lower bowl seating, updated electrical and sattelite system. A new 500k lighting system that was approved earlier will be completed this summer.
And it does seem like they are putting some kind of exterior roofing solution up as well at the tile fix.

Keep in mind that UConn's Master Plan envisions a concourse being added to Gampel.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Funny, always thought scraping & painting the dome would work. It's an illusion, they're fabric covered metal tiles.
UConn To Spend $10 Million On Gampel Roof, Other Work
http://cour.at/1Fh0gAA

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Wow 10 Million to repair the roof. That is almost the price of some practice facilities. LOL!

The Patoni Tile patent was a driving factor for the high price. The bonding agent being used to re-face the tiles costs $1,075/5 gallon bucket. And yes, only the Patoni family makes the bonding agent.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I actually met a man named "Enzo" last night at a professional function and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that the whole time I was speaking with him, all I could think about was that he shared the same first name as the Master.

And I'm even more embarrassed to admit that I had to keep reminding myself not to bring it up.
Was it Enzo Faienza, the mayor of Cromwell?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
BU has the same set up at Iganis Arena. Now that the practice facility is where Memorial Stadium was, it'd been nearly impossible to do that. It'd be a shame if they tore down the Feld House.
Umm, no. BU no longer has 2 different arenas for basketball and hockey. Agganis Arena is a single facility and it houses both hockey and most men's basketball games.

BU used to play hockey games at the Walter Brown Arena and basketball games at Case Gym. Those 2 facilities share a common entrance, but both places are dumps. Agganis is way better.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Umm, no. BU no longer has 2 different arenas for basketball and hockey. Agganis Arena is a single facility and it houses both hockey and most men's basketball games.

BU used to play hockey games at the Walter Brown Arena and basketball games at Case Gym. Those 2 facilities share a common entrance, but both places are dumps. Agganis is way better.

That's what I meant. I reread the post that I responded to and see where I got confused. I remember when Agganis opened, I saw the layout on NESN, and distinctly remember the basketball stands butting up to the hockey stands under one roof, thinking it was a pretty cool way set up.

Reaction Score
I was working at John Hancock in Boston at the time Agganis was built as part of the 'John Hancock village' that BU consisting of the arena, a pair of large residential towers and the new rec center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hancock_Student_Village

I forgot how many millions that John Hancock invested in it; but, I do remember the CEO of John Hancock at the time, David D’Alessandro (a brilliant marketing guy with a massive Napoleon complex) just about simultaneously announced this investment along with the statement that due to challenging economic conditions, there would be no bonuses/raises for rank and file employees that year, obviously excluding himself. Needless to say, that did not go over well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Agganis does not have dual venues. It is a single multipurpose venue. The basketball court is laid over the hockey ice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agganis_Arena
Has this always been the case? Which facility am I thinking of? I know don't think I'm not going crazy...Or am I?

May have picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom