Borges: Shabazz Napier Aiming to Be Better at Everything Next Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Shabazz Napier Aiming to Be Better at Everything Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I know this has already been ran into the ground, but "The Reach Around Bandit" is still the greatest nickname in sports history.

I can't believe it took this long to say it.

pj

Reaction Score
After the way the team played last year, I don't know why we would question the character of any of them. They showed tremendous heart and teamwork. Actions speak louder than words.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I just hope the kid stays healthy, because I think he's going to have a monster year.

Agreed. Health is the one big issue. If hes healthy theres no way he doesn't produce and theres no way we dont win games.

If there is such a thing as fantasy college basketball, I'd be reaching to grab Shabazz.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's a good take - Shabazz is certainly better at giving losers like us on the boneyard a quote that we want to hear, while Boatright is clearly a bit less seasoned in that regard. The facts are, all our guards are inner-city kids who have come off as brash, cocky, and self-serving at times. This isn't surprising, specifically in the cases of Boatright and Napier, both of whom have used their bravado and confidence as means of overcoming some of their limitations at various points throughout their careers. Remember last off-season, when Napier called the transfers out? Paraphrasing, he said something along the lines of, "Some people run away from their problems. That's not the way I was brought up". Re-visit the boneyard archives sometimes - the reception he got from those comments wasn't what you'd expect in hindsight.

Shabazz is about a year and a half older than Boatright, which probably explains the polish in his interviews in comparison to Boatright. But the bottom line is neither of our three prominently featured guards is going to give you the politically correct answer every single time, and that's one of the things I love about them. Let's face it; we're not as talented as Kentucky, Duke, or probably even Syracuse. But we can be just as good as them and a big reason why is the refusal of our guards to take a backseat to anybody.

If there's one think I like in my point guard, it's cocky. That's why Khalid and Taliek are two of my favorite UConn players to this day. I want the guy with the ball in his hands to be brash and filled with bravado.

If there's growing pains, I'll take it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
His name is Shabazz. Does he really need a nickname?

'The Reach-Around-Bandit' has a life of its own though. Greatest nick the boneyard has ever created. Outside of Makers Muppet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Despite a sterling junior season in which he led the Huskies in scoring, assists and clutch shots and was actually second in rebounding (!), Napier is still looking to get better...

Dang guys, I had no idea he blew up the stat sheet like this. I was on a personally enforced sabatical from MCBB, in protest of all the NCAA and conference Stop, so I missed most of this season.

This really is Kemba-esque. Damn, he's going to kill it this year.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Okay somewhat unrelated but where exactly is Bazz from? I remember first seeing Natick or Needham when I was at UConn, but you look on the internet and you see mainly Roxbury, but also Groton (well that's where he played for Lawrence, right?) and Randolph. Then you see he went to high school in Ctown. I ask because only two of those could be considered "inner city"

edit any way, that is one hell of a commute to and from school every day. Even if he's from Roxbury, that's a bus and a train every day.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Okay somewhat unrelated but where exactly is Bazz from? I remember first seeing Natick or Needham when I was at UConn, but you look on the internet and you see mainly Roxbury, but also Groton (well that's where he played for Lawrence, right?) and Randolph. Then you see he went to high school in Ctown. I ask because only two of those could be considered "inner city"

edit any way, that is one hell of a commute to and from school every day. Even if he's from Roxbury, that's a bus and a train every day.

He went to high school in Mass. Groton and Charlestown. From Roxbury originally.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Despite a sterling junior season in which he led the Huskies in scoring, assists and clutch shots and was actually second in rebounding (!), Napier is still looking to get better...

Dang guys, I had no idea he blew up the stat sheet like this. I was on a personally enforced sabatical from MCBB, in protest of all the NCAA and conference bull , so I missed most of this season.

This really is Kemba-esque. Damn, he's going to kill it this year.

This seems like a hanging offense to me; or, at the very least, you deserve to take some for it. There are plenty of other ways to **** over the NCAA without sacrificing UConn Huskies basketball.

Reaction Score
This seems like a hanging offense to me; or, at the very least, you deserve to take some for it. There are plenty of other ways to over the NCAA without sacrificing UConn Huskies basketball.

Too bad we can't cut off some of his toes, since he's obviously missing some.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This seems like a hanging offense to me; or, at the very least, you deserve to take some for it. There are plenty of other ways to over the NCAA without sacrificing UConn Huskies basketball.

Dude, I was so pissed off it was affecting my mental state. Had to take a break or I would have burned out. Wanted to get back in the game full bore. All about the future. What's best for the team and all.

Reaction Score
Dude, I was so pissed off it was affecting my mental state. Had to take a break or I would have burned out. Wanted to get back in the game full bore. All about the future. What's best for the team and all.

"I'm sorry" would work better, or even "I regret it". Judges prefer that kind of language.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Something tells me this argument won't fly with Deepster. At the very least, Fishy will tear you a new one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
"I'm sorry" would work better, or even "I regret it". Judges prefer that kind of language.

Something tells me this argument won't fly with Deepster. At the very least, Fishy will tear you a new one.

Insanity defense gents. I'm guilty of nothing but insanity. Now that said, if hanging me helps us win #4, then let me swing boys. Let me swing!

Reaction Score

Intlz, this fascinates me. so you didn't attend or watch any games all season? really? did you read accounts of the games here on the Yard or in print/online?

on one hand very impressive that you could have the will power to stay away but on the other I lean toward the hangin may be called for here...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Intlz, this fascinates me. so you didn't attend or watch any games all season? really? did you read accounts of the games here on the Yard or in print/online?

on one hand very impressive that you could have the will power to stay away but on the other I lean toward the hangin may be called for here...

Yes. I gave the middle finger to college basketball. Jim Calhoun brought me back....as he has always done.

#cancerchallenge #3xChamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin