borges:Omar Calhoun Isn't Going Anywhere | The Boneyard

borges:Omar Calhoun Isn't Going Anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He clearly wasn't himself this year, but Omar is someone who's stayed loyal to UConn through a coaching change, a postseason ban, and a lot of uncertainty in the program. He was an important player in 2013; let's hope an offseason where he can actually train will get him right back where he was. I'll be rooting for him.

And of course, you've got to love his quote from last week: "I'm going to train, work hard and come back a monster."

Reaction Score
This is a great article. Omar will bounce back strong especially having a support system like his dad and Coach Ollie. I know I am rooting for him to succeed.

Reaction Score
Didn't realize he had that many injuries. It's always hard when a player isn't able to begin working out until late in the preseason process, it throws off your timing and rhythm that you've become accustomed to over the years, much less further injuries throughout the season, he probably was mentally and physically frustrated beyond belief all year and couldn't get it going. Good to hear he's got a good head on his shoulders and his family supportive of him and the program, encouraging him to come back and work harder to regain his spot on the team.

Reaction Score
Not only is this proof of the tremendous character of Omar Calhoun and his family, it's (yet more) proof of the greatness of our Coach. Despite the diminished minutes this year, Omar and his Dad have bought in 100% to the ability of KO to maximize Omar's potential as a basketball player and a person. They are 100% right to do so.

And for those who complained incessantly during the season about KO giving Omar minutes even after it was apparent he wasn't going to be able to rally from his injuries and help us this year...this is why he did it. This is why he did it.

Reaction Score
He had a chance to leave when the postseason ban was imposed. He stayed. He had a chance to leave when Calhoun retired. He stayed. He had a chance to pout when he got passed on the depth chart this season. He kept working hard.

If he's not a great player for us, I'll be surprised. Character is half the battle and he definitely has the talent to go along with it.

Reaction Score
Were the hell was he going to go?

There are plenty of D1 places who would have offered a guy who scored double digits in the Big East 2 years ago a promise of 30 minutes a game. And since you're probably too obtuse to notice, a lot of players from schools like that are playing with Giffey in the Portsmouth NBA draft camp.

In summary...don't be a pr*ck, Omar's dealt with enough of that on this board this year.

Reaction Score
It says a lot about a kid to go through these struggles and accept it gracefully and focus on overcoming it, rather than lashing out and feeling bad about.

Reaction Score
Wonderful article. If KO fills the roster with young men(and families!) like Omar(& his father), the UCONN Huskies are going to be a program that will be the envy of the college basketball world for a long time for all of the right reasons(on and, especially, off the court).

GO HUSKIES!!!
2014 NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
"DOUBLE TROUBLE!!!"

Reaction Score
It is a pleasure and a honor to have great character players like OC on the team. We have to commend his father. Compare Mr. Calhoun's comments to those of Alex Oriaki's dad that we had to suffer through a couple of seasons ago. I am so glad that Coach O. has already said that he is not interested in just any top player, but he is looking for high character guys. That character that leads to good chemistry is instrumental to winning. And, even on the rare occasions when we don't win, at least we can be proud of our guys.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
He's gonna be a great story next year when he's killing it for us and draining 3's.

Reaction Score
In the last 13 years, only two players at UConn have scored more per game as a freshman than Omar: Rudy Gay and Jerome Dyson(who was basically on a team full of freshmen).

I think Omar will end up being a pretty good player for us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am concerned that Calhoun's injuries are more serious than he let's on. I can't think of a lot of examples of kids that appear to be as motivated and hard working as Calhoun getting that much worse without a serious injury. Double hip surgeries sounds very serious.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Omar's shot will come back, just a matter of confidence. A shooter needs to be arrogantly confident in his shot. The key to greater success is to develop a better handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom