Boise St. has options in realignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Spoilers...no, they don't.

My favorite take from the article...

President Bob Kustra reiterated that there are no plans at the moment for Boise State to move to the Big 12 or Pac-12, but there is still a possibility for the Broncos to do so in the future.

Seven MW schools are also situated at a substantially higher elevation than Boise State, offering a competitive disadvantage for sports such as cross country and track and field. The average campus elevation of the MW is 3,596 feet. Boise is situated at 2,697 feet. The Pac-12 in comparison has an average campus elevation of 1,205.

UConn is 614' above sea level.

Obviously, our oxygen-rich environment makes us attractive should the PAC12 ever look east.

Reaction Score
Spoilers...no, they don't.

My favorite take from the article...

President Bob Kustra reiterated that there are no plans at the moment for Boise State to move to the Big 12 or Pac-12, but there is still a possibility for the Broncos to do so in the future.

Seven MW schools are also situated at a substantially higher elevation than Boise State, offering a competitive disadvantage for sports such as cross country and track and field. The average campus elevation of the MW is 3,596 feet. Boise is situated at 2,697 feet. The Pac-12 in comparison has an average campus elevation of 1,205.

UConn is 614' above sea level.

Obviously, our oxygen-rich environment makes us attractive should the PAC12 ever look east.

I view coming to CR board as my daily penance but this may the funniest thing I have ever read on this board.

Thanks Fishy

Reaction Score
Most likely options for Boise St:

stay in the Mountain West 'Mountain' Division
move to the Mountain West 'West' Division
Independent (maybe they can join the Big East for sports other than football ;))
FCS
drop football (like Syracuse did :p)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Temple:Zombie Big East
Boise State:Zombie Big12

They do have a current option, I'm sure the AAC would welcome them with open arms.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If we keep at this long enough, elevation above mean sea level will eventually become a reason that UConn is passed over in realignment. I think the quick reference guide looks like this

Football tradition
Football attendance
Football recruiting
Market size
Cable subscribers
Market congruency
Academic affiliations
Endowment
Stadium size
Too many westward facing buildings on campus
Too few westward facing buildings on campus
Altitude
Mean proximity to the Moon on February 29th.
Some fan once said mean things to a visiting fan during a sporting event

Reaction Score
If we keep at this long enough, elevation above mean sea level will eventually become a reason that UConn is passed over in realignment. I think the quick reference guide looks like this

Football tradition
Football attendance
Football recruiting
Market size
Cable subscribers
Market congruency
Academic affiliations
Endowment
Stadium size
Altitude
Hilarious...can they find any more ways to raise the bar?

Reaction Score
Hilltop used to be, and probably still is, the highest point between Boston and NYC. Not sure if that gets us in or keeps us out. :confused:

Reaction Score
Rumor has it Stanford wanted Boise St last go around.. They wanted an all around equal in sports and education

Reaction Score

Football tradition
Football attendance
Football recruiting
Market size
Cable subscribers
Market congruency
Academic affiliations
Endowment
Stadium size
Altitude

Malloy travel ban to Indiana (according to Scott Gray).

Reaction Score
Maybe they think were too good in hoops and UConn will leave for the NBA "conference" to compete with the Knicks and Celtic's? lol..

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What does San Diego State think of their chances to get into a P5 as it relates to elevation above sea level?

Reaction Score
What does San Diego State think of their chances to get into a P5 as it relates to elevation above sea level?
SDSU is probably the best choice remaining for the PAC, there are 4million people in the area,and their part of California University System.
State schools not in that system like Fresno State are kind of looked down on.
but Who is their partner?
The best possibles is CSU, which can be compared to Oregon State,or Washington State.
BYU football wise would be a good choice ,but they carry a lot of baggage, Utah state is the number 3 team in that state.,and the population of Idaho although 1,600,000 combined with BSU lowly status hurts them.. The Pac is pretty limited . If Idaho had Connecticut's population and UConn's Acedemic's ,it would be a no brainier add,
Then again if UConn enjoyed BSU recent football success we wouldn't be in the AAC.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
SDSU is probably the best choice remaining for the PAC, there are 4million people in the area,and their part of California University System.
SDSU is in the same California State University system as Fresno State. Neither is in the UC System which is what Cal, UCLA, UC Davis, UC San Diego, etc. are part of.

Reaction Score
The best possibles is CSU, which can be compared to Oregon State,or Washington State.
BYU football wise would be a good choice ,but they carry a lot of baggage, Utah state is the number 3 team in that state.,and the population of Idaho although 1,600,000 combined with BSU lowly status hurts them.. The Pac is pretty limited . If Idaho had Connecticut's population and UConn's Acedemic's ,it would be a no brainier add,
Then again if UConn enjoyed BSU recent football success we wouldn't be in the AAC.

Like everything related to conference realignment it all comes down to economics. If adding Boise State + another school would generate a sizable enough increase in TV Dollars to make it worth their while, then it would get strong consideration. Playing the academic card as a reason to deny them membership would be highly hypocritical being that The Broncos are already an associate member of the conference for wrestling. Tough to say that you are good enough to compete with us in one sport, but not another. My guess is that they don't bring enough to the table from a market perspective to increase their TV deal in any significant manner.

Reaction Score
SDSU is in the same California State University system as Fresno State. Neither is in the UC System which is what Cal, UCLA, UC Davis, UC San Diego, etc. are part of.
Sorry about that ,I confused The University of California San Diego whose football is Div II ,with SDSU ,
That explains why the're not in. The PAC
That's what happens when old guys depend on their memories,
My brother actually graduated from Cal State Northridge many years ago ,which got me interested in the social status of the respective systems. I think is was free back then or a very small tuition.
To make it more confusing there is also a University of San Diago, a
private Catholic school.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
To make it more confusing there is also a University of San Diago, a
private Catholic school.
How dare you mention them on the Boneyard. I don't think any UCONN fan is ever going to forget that school. (2008 :()

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
How dare you mention them on the Boneyard. I don't think any UCONN fan is ever going to forget that school. (2008 :()
Was just about to say the same thing...that school shall not be named here

Reaction Score
My most vivid recollection of that day is Lavin ,working for ESPN.
When he ranted losing your star point guard is was excuse for UConn's loss
I believe in the same year in another game ,The losing teams coach had been ejected or became ill. He Raved on and on that the loss of a coach was a huge factor.

How anyone ever gave that guy a coaching job is amazing.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My most vivid memory is the TV blacking out for a couple of seconds right when the last shot was taken. We had to wait a few seconds to see if it went in. Sadly, it did.

Reaction Score

Vegas baby ...

Reaction Score

The PAC needs the XII to implode so that they can grab some combination of Oklahoma, OK St, Kansas, K State, U Texas, Texas Tech, etc. Within in their own footprint, I agree that Colorado St makes sense. I think BYU will eventually join the PAC too once it is clear that Independence is a lost cause. San Diego also makes sense along with UNLV because while UNLV is not strong academically, that market can't be ignored and there are a lot of PAC alumni in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom