Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That zone isn't too difficult to teach/run. Beginning of the year, teams don't have their sh_t together yet. So they struggle which means wins for Syracuse. Later in the year skilled teams can figure it out, execute, and pick it apart.

Reaction Score
That zone isn't too difficult to teach/run. Beginning of the year, teams don't have their sh_t together yet. So they struggle which means wins for Syracuse. Later in the year skilled teams can figure it out, execute, and pick it apart.

This makes sense, but it doesn't really line up with the facts. Check their last couple tournament losses - it's been because of poor offense.

Reaction Score

Agree completely.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think it's pretty cool that mrs fleud and mrs dribbles are posting now. We need the female presence because Nan only makes occasional forays to this side and suzyq was last seen on a milk carton. Dove and his satin pants did a yeoman's job picking up the slack though. :)
All that being said if my wife ever logs in, Im running for the hills.

caw

Reaction Score
This makes sense, but it doesn't really line up with the facts. Check their last couple tournament losses - it's been because of poor offense.

It does and it doesn't. Cuse has, in the past, created a decent number of turnovers and run outs from their zone and failing that implemented a press to create turnovers early in the season. These methods create easy offense but don't work as well in the tournament because usually teams are better prepared to combat the zone and have better players to get past the press. Maybe not every year, but it does account for some of their post season offensive issues. It's a huge reason they do so well during the regular season and often fail in the postseason.

That said, I fully believe the new rules should help Cuse immensely. 30 seconds against their zone is going to be tough. It was hard enough when given 35 seconds, but losing those 5 seconds is going to make it even tougher. Secondly, there is a better chance they have teams who play man in foul trouble earlier (while staying out of foul trouble themselves) due to the new hand check rules.

I understand why teams play man to man, but I wouldn't be surprised if a number of teams start to shift to zone defenses after (or during) this season, as it becomes more apparent the rules are geared toward helping teams that play a zone. When that happens, I expect scoring to drop back down and some kind of defensive paint rule to be implemented. It's actually kind of absurd there isn't one already when you think about the rules they put into place this year.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but that's the way I see things going after watching teams struggle to play man to man under the new rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom