Bob Diaco Is Not Getting a Fair Shake | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bob Diaco Is Not Getting a Fair Shake

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I long for the days when our biggest worry was whether or not Jesus should be in the huddle. That feels like a decade ago...

Reaction Score
The entire premise of the article is ridiculous. Most people in the thread have already pointed out the bigger talking points, but I'll just try to drive home the point. Here's my Jeff Foxworthy-like version of this subject:

If you play multiple QB's from game 1 all the way through game 10, without settling in on 1 play caller for an entire game, your coaching is suspect.
If you use your QB's as your running backs, even though you have 4 more-than-capable running backs, your coaching is suspect.
If you consistently waste or fail to use timeouts at critical points in the game, your coaching is suspect.
If you go for a field goal when you need a touchdown, simply to get your kicker a little more work from the right hash, your coaching is suspect.
If you have an extra week to prepare for an Army team that struggles to beat 1-AA teams, yet you lay a stinker, your coaching is suspect.
If you lose a game where you throw the ball 4 times, your coaching is suspect.
If your response to a loss is that you have improved a team from colossally bad to simply bad, your coaching is suspect.
If you think it's a good idea to rush only 3 people against arguably the best QB in the league, your coaching is suspect.
If you think that a successful gameplan was the fact that you played 55 people in one outing, your coaching is suspect.

Didn't get a fair shake??? For 1.5 million dollars this year and absolutely no media pressure, his "shake" has been more than fair...

Like, like, a million likes.

Reaction Score
I don't feel that this article is accurate in many phases. I haven't heard an awful lot of negative reaction to diaco's coaching. Most have had some questions, but that is to be expected of a brand new head coach. He had us believing that things were getting better with a surprising upset of UCF and that, more than anything else, makes it hard to stomach the last 2 stinkers. Letting Army run roughshod over a previously solid defense was inexcusable and yesterdays absolute blowout is reason to be venting so strongly. Yesterdays game looked like they were stuck in mud trying to move. Boyle doesn't show much movement in the pocket and the receivers couldn't handle the passes he managed to get near them. Diaco is the one that said that his players were out of shape and he inherited this mess. Yes, but you don't have to state it to the media. It is obvious just looking at the way they played, they were out of shape. He is just trying to cover his butt. I am not sure that is the smart tactic to use. Losing 41-0 does not show any improvement anywhere. they were bad in all aspects of the game. I know that Cincinnati is a much better team, but to get blown out in your house that way is discouraging, to say the least.

Reaction Score
We are 0-3 versus Tulane, USF and Army and squeaked by a 5-7 Stony Brook team. I'd say HCBD is getting a fair shake given those results. Nobody is calling for his firing but are calling for some accountability and ownership

Why is it so hard for people to acknowledge that while we don't have the best talent, we also have a bunch of coaches who aren't doing a good enough job?

And us it any wonder that the same people that are apologizing for D were PGDL's biggest apologists as well?

Reaction Score
The entire premise of the article is ridiculous. Most people in the thread have already pointed out the bigger talking points, but I'll just try to drive home the point. Here's my Jeff Foxworthy-like version of this subject:

If you play multiple QB's from game 1 all the way through game 10, without settling in on 1 play caller for an entire game, your coaching is suspect.
If you use your QB's as your running backs, even though you have 4 more-than-capable running backs, your coaching is suspect.
If you consistently waste or fail to use timeouts at critical points in the game, your coaching is suspect.
If you go for a field goal when you need a touchdown, simply to get your kicker a little more work from the right hash, your coaching is suspect.
If you have an extra week to prepare for an Army team that struggles to beat 1-AA teams, yet you lay a stinker, your coaching is suspect.
If you lose a game where you throw the ball 4 times, your coaching is suspect.
If your response to a loss is that you have improved a team from colossally bad to simply bad, your coaching is suspect.
If you think it's a good idea to rush only 3 people against arguably the best QB in the league, your coaching is suspect.
If you think that a successful gameplan was the fact that you played 55 people in one outing, your coaching is suspect.

Didn't get a fair shake??? For 1.5 million dollars this year and absolutely no media pressure, his "shake" has been more than fair...

Dan you've been more than fair on many occasions. This unfortunately, is not only fair but all too accurate.

Reaction Score
What a wierd, defensive article. I would never expect anything to be said in public, but if Warde Manuel is 'not second guessing the hire' himself, then he is not following the results closely enough. This is his signature hire, and one that is loaded - probably with future of the rest of UConn sports (as perhaps his own as AD), hanging in the balance. If he is not concerned with the lack of results, performance, excuses and strange verbiage coming from his recent hire, he should be.

Reaction Score
What a wierd, defensive article. I would never expect anything to be said in public, but if Warde Manuel is 'not second guessing the hire' himself, then he is not following the results closely enough. This is his signature hire, and one that is loaded - probably with future of the rest of UConn sports (as perhaps his own as AD), hanging in the balance. If he is not concerned with the lack of results, performance, excuses and strange verbiage coming from his recent hire, he should be.

I trust Warde more than Bob. Hartford has been a hockey town for much, much longer and sustained than ever football.

Football is and always will be my sport, but Connecticut culture embraces winners and throws losers to the gutter. Football, because of the Ivy league choices 50 years ago, does not have the social equity for anybody to financially contribute to a loser.

Hockey is different. Safe investment here, and we have a nice league and potential.

Reaction Score
Bill Bellichick is not getting a fair shake. His name keeps being mentioned in the same breath as Bob Diaco.

It's becoming clear that Matt is simply trolling the boneyard at this point. He can't believe this crap he's writing.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Unwarranted Criticisms
There are many and it started back in camp when the staff wouldn’t let the media watch practice, something that occurs at a large number of institutions around the country.
And also doesnt occur at a large number of institutions around the country - whats the reason for it is the better question. Are you hiding some of your flaws and inexperience from trained eyes maybe?

Next, it was the unique way he answers questions. Problem with that, no matter how much he goes off the beaten trail to answer questions, he always tries to answer them honestly, truthfully and in great detail.
Truthfull and in great detail - WTF are you listening to? Many have said his answers are coach speak which is a nice way of saying I answered the question by avoiding to answer the questions.

Injury news? Take one from the Bill Belichick playbook. Cryptic is the word here and it’s called gamesmanship. Do you want your opponent to know the situation or not? What will give the team the best chance to win?
You have got to be joking!?! Which game in particular did UConn FB benefit from by not divulging injury information and gave us the best chance to win?

Finally, there are some that believe he is placing blame on the players for the current situation. That is clearly not the case, which he has reinforced, time and again. Describing the situation he took over is not blaming the players. It’s stating a fact that the program was in disarray. They are also part of what is going to turn this thing around as Diaco noted again this afternoon.
The disarrayed program in the past looked more ready to play than this one - and I would have never thought I would say that after PP. Michigan game they were ready to play last year - Cinci this past weekend that team was NOT ready to play.

“We have enough talent and enough personnel to have a damn good football team next season, absolutely,” he said.
Is this one of the time where he 'tried' to answer honestly, truthfully and in great detail?

Matt - you want to hitch your wagon to the BD train that is completely understandable but if you want to write articles to tell us he isnt getting a fair shake you are going to get pounded. He has had a fair shake and I will still give him next year, but until you write the article 'Bob Diaco leaves us scratching our heads' many will believe your journalism is one sided.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Bill Bellichick is not getting a fair shake. His name keeps being mentioned in the same breath as Bob Diaco.

It's becoming clear that Matt is simply trolling the boneyard at this point. He can't believe this crap he's writing.
Agree he's totally trolling you guys. And he'll keep doing it and the bonehead, I mean boneyard will keep taking the bait.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pasqualoni had issues as a Head Coach, but it is ignorant to say he didn't know what he was doing. He, and Edsall before him, were recruiting Big East caliber talent, and now those players are getting manhandled and embarrassed by some of the worst programs in the FBS. No matter how many recruiting mistakes Pasqualoni made, it should not have ended up with the record we have. I have to think our talent is better than Tulane's or Army's.

Reaction Score
(we can't lose at home to a zero win team from Texas in December can we?).

If we get a repeat of the Fall of '89 ( my sophmore at UCONN, can remember it plain as day watching it in my dorm room on East campus ) it'll happen....

Reaction Score
I trust Warde more than Bob. Hartford has been a hockey town for much, much longer and sustained than ever football.

Football is and always will be my sport, but Connecticut culture embraces winners and throws losers to the gutter. Football, because of the Ivy league choices 50 years ago, does not have the social equity for anybody to financially contribute to a loser.

Hockey is different. Safe investment here, and we have a nice league and potential.

Agreed. Warde is doing his best, and even beyond just mere self interest, he is a professional and wants to succeed. While Warde may speak as a AD (and AD is a political position), some of Bob's comments are really off the wall. His effort to create a rivalry with UCF after their one and only victory against an BCS opponent was embarrasing. While UConn desparately needs rivalries, they tend to be earned over time and not if your only other victory was a marginal one against Stoney Brook. Before you start braying about rivarly, please win games you are supposed to win, and a few you are not, otherwise you appear like a total fool.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Warde is doing his best, and even beyond just mere self interest, he is a professional and wants to succeed. While Warde may speak as a AD (and AD is a political position), some of Bob's comments are really off the wall. His effort to create a rivalry with UCF after their one and only victory against an BCS opponent was embarrasing. While UConn desparately needs rivalries, they tend to be earned over time and not if your only other victory was a marginal one against Stoney Brook. Before you start braying about rivarly, please win games you are supposed to win, and a few you are not, otherwise you appear like a total fool.

The difference between the fool and the genius, is the win and loss record.

Reaction Score
If one knew the difference between a fool and a genius, he would keep his mouth shut.

That is very wise, and must make me change my statement.

"The difference between labeling the bizarre statements and actions of a head football coach as foolish or genius, is the win and loss record."

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
The guy is a total whackjob. And that's fine if he proves he can coach but he hasn't, and he won't even acknowledge the numerous obvious errors he's made this year.

I'm very worried there's no deeper layer of football knowledge that we all assumed was laying just underneath the Looney Toon paint job.

He gets another year before anyone should be calling for his head but he doesn't get a 100% no strings attached free pass

Exactly. He was an assistant for Brian Kelly who repeatedly has turned out incompetent head coaches from his "tree". What if Diaco's great coaching acumen is simply being in the right place at the right time and he fell upward to us?

Reaction Score
That is very wise, and must make me change my statement.

"The difference between labeling the bizarre statements and actions of a head football coach as foolish or genius, is the win and loss record."

A career is not made in one season, grasshopper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom