Bob Diaco Is Not Getting a Fair Shake | The Boneyard

Bob Diaco Is Not Getting a Fair Shake

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what is meant by not fair. His team stinks and made zero progress this season. Not a single person has called to have him fired. Only that his team stinks and hasn't appeared to be getting better though a series of unorthodox decisions. 2-8 is very difficult to do, elite level bad. Let's watch and see how many 3 win coaches survive this off season (we can't lose at home to a zero win team from Texas in December can we?). BD will be one, there won't be many others.

He is getting a ton of flack for patronizing the fan base, but he has earned all of that.

If you care to see unfair, watch what happens if 2015 opens with losses to either Villanova or Army at home followed by road losses to Missou and BYU. That (1-3) 5th game if it's at home would be U_G_L_Y. This is the business he has chosen.

Reaction Score
Just reads like one of the more long winded posts over here.

We get that there has been turnover.

But for starters, that doesn't explain that the guy doesn't know how to manage his time outs.

That still doesn't explain the fact that instead of having a less talented team that has order and is afforded the chance to compete by sound play calling, clock management, and strategy that is geared towards winning football games.... We have a team that is exactly the opposite.

So is he getting a fair shake? Yes.

Is it possible that he is hindered by a poor roster and he is still doing a bad job? Yes.

Do we expect him to be fired anytime soon? Absolutely not, and that is what makes his poor performance to date so depressing.

We could be looking 2-3 more seasons of wacky Bob.

Reaction Score
The biggest most important progress will be made in areas we don't see on a daily basis. People fail to realize/understand how big of a rebuild this honestly is. Elite and bad should not be used in the same sentence to describe the same thing.

Reaction Score
The biggest most important progress will be made in areas we don't see on a daily basis. People fail to realize/understand how big of a rebuild this honestly is. Elite and bad should not be used in the same sentence to describe the same thing.

I think there are several people on this board who had delusional expectations this year. But I think the majority, like me, knew this was a rebuild. It is obvious we are lacking talent in some areas, especially on offense. I just wanted to see improvement, no matter how small, with each game. I have not seen that. And last night, I saw several players just going through the motions. And that is on the coach. I don't care if you have to put the equipment manager in pads, take the players out who don't want to be there.

And I want a coach who takes full responsibility, even if he shouldn't shoulder all the blame. You never throw your team under the bus as a head coach. Never.

Reaction Score
The guy is a total whackjob. And that's fine if he proves he can coach but he hasn't, and he won't even acknowledge the numerous obvious errors he's made this year.

I'm very worried there's no deeper layer of football knowledge that we all assumed was laying just underneath the Looney Toon paint job.

He gets another year before anyone should be calling for his head but he doesn't get a 100% no strings attached free pass

Reaction Score
I think there are several people on this board who had delusional expectations this year. But I think the majority, like me, knew this was a rebuild. It is obvious we are lacking talent in some areas, especially on offense. I just wanted to see improvement, no matter how small, with each game. I have not seen that. And last night, I saw several players just going through the motions. And that is on the coach. I don't care if you have to put the equipment manager in pads, take the players out who don't want to be there.

And I want a coach who takes full responsibility, even if he shouldn't shoulder all the blame. You never throw your team under the bus as a head coach. Never.

I thought 5 wins was our ceiling this year. I don't necessarily care about the results themselves because I expected a poor record. What I didn't expect was ineptitude and getting swept by USF, Tulane, and Army. That's tough to pull off.

Reaction Score
I thought 5 wins was our ceiling this year. I don't necessarily care about the results themselves because I expected a poor record. What I didn't expect was ineptitude and getting swept by USF, Tulane, and Army. That's tough to pull off.

If someone told us we would be swept by Tulane, Army and USF in preseason, we would have laughed them off the board.

If not for a lucky punt return we lose to Stony Brook too. This team is not functioning.

When you don't have a clearly defined starter at QB and RB, then how are guys supposed to push each other? Who is the benchmark? We lack the basic stuff that causes football players to get better every week. If everyone is the starter, then nobody is.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg really.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My win expectation was 4 or 5 games. Stony, Army, USF or Tulane and Temple since we did a good job on them last year. A fifth game would have been Memphis (didn't anticipate their turnaround this year).

I'll give credit to Matt S for shredding me on my point that the roster turn over was small this year. It was actually more significant than I realized, far more. I also get it that Diaco is a great person with impeccable character. My concern is that maybe he's too soft on the kids. Too accepting of their shortcomings. Any ways, get rid of Cummings, get a new QB and let's see what he can do next year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If someone told us we would be swept by Tulane, Army and USF in preseason, we would have laughed them off the board.

If not for a lucky punt return we lose to Stony Brook too. This team is not functioning.

When you don't have a clearly defined starter at QB and RB, then how are guys supposed to push each other? Who is the benchmark? We lack the basic stuff that causes football players to get better every week. If everyone is the starter, then nobody is.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg really.

You are so right about the lack of a clear pecking order. Pecking orders give ownership and clear results.

Reaction Score
You are so right about the lack of a clear pecking order. Pecking orders give ownership and clear results.
I think we will all see something far different next year regarding this. He often talked about everyone getting better. You get better by playing. He has played everyone on this VERY young team, to help them get better. This is a very young roster as pointed out by the roster turnover. This will help the roster and program moving forward. I don't agree with the shuffling of QB's the way that he has used them, but playing all of the young guys will be beneficial moving forward.

Reaction Score
Just reads like one of the more long winded posts over here.

We get that there has been turnover.

But for starters, that doesn't explain that the guy doesn't know how to manage his time outs.

That still doesn't explain the fact that instead of having a less talented team that has order and is afforded the chance to compete by sound play calling, clock management, and strategy that is geared towards winning football games.... We have a team that is exactly the opposite.

So is he getting a fair shake? Yes.

Is it possible that he is hindered by a poor roster and he is still doing a bad job? Yes.

Do we expect him to be fired anytime soon? Absolutely not, and that is what makes his poor performance to date so depressing.

We could be looking 2-3 more seasons of wacky Bob.

Well Zoo you can always watch a soap opera, which may be more to your liking or not. This is real life and things do not come with any guarantee. This has just about talked to death. Oops this is a soap opera with an all male cast. Wah Wah Wah.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have no idea what attacks have come from the media...

But when you stand up and lie to the media every week... don't expect much sympathy when you are 2-8.

From top to bottom Diaco has done an abysmal job this year. Not shocking that a fanboy is upset to see it pointed out.

Reaction Score
One year is all gets in my book and there better be some substantial improvement in play on the field. This season yielded nothing of substance. His system thus far sucks and shows no signs of improvement other than a modest step up by the O-line. QBs have not improved. Running backs have not improved. Worst part is we have an NFL caliber recover in Davis who has been under utilized as well as other decent receivers. D has regressed too in my opinion. Buthe 3 man front is a joke. No pressure. The linebackers are subpar. All of this on Diaco and staff. All of it.

Reaction Score
An Oklahoma running back ran for over 400 yards yesterday. Diaco is the coach of a group, that as a team, did not rush for 400 yards in the BYU, Stonybrook, Boise State, USF, Tulane, and Cincinnati games COMBINED.

The praise should be effusive!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The entire premise of the article is ridiculous. Most people in the thread have already pointed out the bigger talking points, but I'll just try to drive home the point. Here's my Jeff Foxworthy-like version of this subject:

If you play multiple QB's from game 1 all the way through game 10, without settling in on 1 play caller for an entire game, your coaching is suspect.
If you use your QB's as your running backs, even though you have 4 more-than-capable running backs, your coaching is suspect.
If you consistently waste or fail to use timeouts at critical points in the game, your coaching is suspect.
If you go for a field goal when you need a touchdown, simply to get your kicker a little more work from the right hash, your coaching is suspect.
If you have an extra week to prepare for an Army team that struggles to beat 1-AA teams, yet you lay a stinker, your coaching is suspect.
If you lose a game where you throw the ball 4 times, your coaching is suspect.
If your response to a loss is that you have improved a team from colossally bad to simply bad, your coaching is suspect.
If you think it's a good idea to rush only 3 people against arguably the best QB in the league, your coaching is suspect.
If you think that a successful gameplan was the fact that you played 55 people in one outing, your coaching is suspect.

Didn't get a fair shake??? For 1.5 million dollars this year and absolutely no media pressure, his "shake" has been more than fair...

Reaction Score
Well Zoo you can always watch a soap opera, which may be more to your liking or not. This is real life and things do not come with any guarantee. This has just about talked to death. Oops this is a soap opera with an all male cast. Wah Wah Wah.

Sorry, I'm just looking for some accountability. And much like a soap opera, accountability in this program is a work of fiction.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just a strange post. 90% of the season is not "overnight". We are exceptionally bad. That we've improved from a year ago to arrive today at exceptionally bad doesn't change our overall assessment. We stink by any measure.

Reaction Score
I think there were some people on this board that had unrealistic expectations. Most people knew that we didn't have the players for a good season. As far as a poor season, I give Bob a pass. No way he wins with this group of talent. But I think what he shouldn't get a pass for are the following:
  • Wacky rotation of players (QB situation, RB situation (DeLorenzo), many more)
  • Vanilla Offense, that does not take into account the talent of our team and the players (2 star) that we will recruit in the future.
  • Clock Management
  • Play calling (too many to mention, i.e. fake punt against BYU)
  • Losing to Army
  • Disrespecting our current players: The current team is fat, lazy, undisciplined, this can't be good for the locker room.
  • Responsibility: I have not once heard HCBD say, it's my fault, I am still learning. All I hear are excuses. If in fact Bob had taken any responsibility for this season, he would have gotten a little more support from the fans.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How about the fact that they are worse this year than last?

Exactly right.

And for those who are talking about the talent not being there, I don't believe it. We have an NFL-prospect level wide receiver (Davis) that almost never gets the ball, and is pulled to the side lines on big third downs throughout the year without explanation (your coaching is suspect). We have a versatile, speedy back who was supposedly going to feature more in our offense (Newsome), only to be relegated to kickoff duties. We have a powerful running back that when given the opportunity, really does a nice job (DeLorenzo), but seems to be on the sidelines for the vast majority of most games. We have the "best safety Diaco has ever coached" (Melifonwu). All of our LB's are juniors. All of our DLinemen are absolute beasts. Hell, even the young kicker isn't all that bad. But we are lacking talent???

No. I don't accept that we are lacking the talent to beat Tulane. I don't accept that we are lacking the talent to beat Army. Alabama? Yes, we are lacking the talent. The majority of the AAC? Give me a break...

Reaction Score
We are 0-3 versus Tulane, USF and Army and squeaked by a 5-7 Stony Brook team. I'd say HCBD is getting a fair shake given those results. Nobody is calling for his firing but are calling for some accountability and ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom