Blauds asks, "Is UConn ?" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blauds asks, "Is UConn ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As frustrating as CR has been, here is why I think UCONN is not ultimately screwed.

Despite what people and institutions might say and believe, college athletics is still driven primarily by regional interests. ND has a national following and special interests like Navy and BYU have their unique following around the country, but just about everyone else relies on their regional following. Regionally, our market overlaps with BC, Cuse, Rutgers and to a lesser extent maybe PSU and Temple. Outside of PSU's football program, none of these athletic programs is poised for meaningful long-term success within their current conference alignment.

CR certainly provides more funding to most of those institutions, but it won't necessarily provide a greater following without winning. By way of example, a UCONN football program back on a winning track will draw comparably to BC and Syracuse even in the AAC. It did when it was winning in the past after playing D1A football for less than 10 years. A UCONN football program contending for conference championships in the AAC will outdraw BC and Syracuse after they have a series of down years in the ACC. As bad as UCONN football is right now, consistently winning and contending for conference championships is more likely for UCONN within the next 5 years than it is for BC, Cuse and Rutgers.

And while football does drive the bus and UCONN needs to get the mess that is currently its football program in order, the University brings tremendous programs in Olympic sports leading off with the best pair of basketball programs in the country. They do matter. When Rutgers and BC literally struggle to put 1,000 fannies in the seats for a hoops game you have a problem and UCONN goes a long way to addressing that.

Both the ACC and BiG will need to make the northeast market work for them and I don't think BC, Cuse or Rutgers in and of themselves can grow that market for their respective conferences. UCONN helps in that effort, especially if the football following is rebuilt. On a level playing field UCONN excels in the region. I know this from history.

Reaction Score
As frustrating as CR has been, here is why I think UCONN is not ultimately screwed.

Despite what people and institutions might say and believe, college athletics is still driven primarily by regional interests. ND has a national following and special interests like Navy and BYU have their unique following around the country, but just about everyone else relies on their regional following. Regionally, our market overlaps with BC, Cuse, Rutgers and to a lesser extent maybe PSU and Temple. Outside of PSU's football program, none of these athletic programs is poised for meaningful long-term success within their current conference alignment.

CR certainly provides more funding to most of those institutions, but it won't necessarily provide a greater following without winning. By way of example, a UCONN football program back on a winning track will draw comparably to BC and Syracuse even in the AAC. It did when it was winning in the past after playing D1A football for less than 10 years. A UCONN football program contending for conference championships in the AAC will outdraw BC and Syracuse after they have a series of down years in the ACC. As bad as UCONN football is right now, consistently winning and contending for conference championships is more likely for UCONN within the next 5 years than it is for BC, Cuse and Rutgers.

And while football does drive the bus and UCONN needs to get the mess that is currently its football program in order, the University brings tremendous programs in Olympic sports leading off with the best pair of basketball programs in the country. They do matter. When Rutgers and BC literally struggle to put 1,000 fannies in the seats for a hoops game you have a problem and UCONN goes a long way to addressing that.

Both the ACC and BiG will need to make the northeast market work for them and I don't think BC, Cuse or Rutgers in and of themselves can grow that market for their respective conferences. UCONN helps in that effort, especially if the football following is rebuilt. On a level playing field UCONN excels in the region. I know this from history.
Someone on the football board claimed the state of CT wouldn't care if UConn went undefeated in football.
My response was if UConn wins its first two home games ,then goes out and Upsets Missouri, tickets for the Next home game with Navy will be scalpers only.
If you thought 1990 was crazy in BB , a football dream season will be ten times greater. The likelyhood of that happening is pretty remote,but even a moderately successful season will create a decent buzz.

Reaction Score
Someone on the football board claimed the state of CT wouldn't care if UConn went undefeated in football.
My response was if UConn wins its first two home games ,then goes out and Upsets Missouri, tickets for the Next home game with Navy will be scalpers only.
If you thought 1990 was crazy in BB , a football dream season will be ten times greater. The likelyhood of that happening is pretty remote,but even a moderately successful season will create a decent buzz.

This. And UConndogs post before it. I earned my bachelor's in 1986 and my master's in 1990. My contemporaries and I watched the men's basketball program develop from a second division also ran in the early Big East to a national program in a decade. And the women's bb program evolved from barely beyond an afterthought to an NCAA tourney birth in 1990 and the first of oodles of final fours in 1991.

Football starts winning and they will come. In droves.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I think you might be right. I haven't heard anything besides message board chatter and tweets... but I could be wrong. I know many Huskie fans are getting ticked being in purgatory, especially given the number of National Titkes UConn has. If anyone belongs, it's UConn. How many Huskie fans would want a Big XII invite versus saying no in the hope of landing in the B1G or ACC in 5 to 10 years?

I'm not sure what a "Titke" is, but the 12 y.o. in me is giggling.

Reaction Score
This. And UConndogs post before it. I earned my bachelor's in 1986 and my master's in 1990. My contemporaries and I watched the men's basketball program develop from a second division also ran in the early Big East to a national program in a decade. And the women's bb program evolved from barely beyond an afterthought to an NCAA tourney birth in 1990 and the first of oodles of final fours in 1991.

Football starts winning and they will come. In droves.
As former SEC commissioner Roy Kramer analyzed, we have SEC (or B1G) fanbase potential. It's been proven. Just need opponents that attract much more attention.

UConn has replaced the Hartford Whalers. Even outperformed by far. Easily. And sadly. Some Whalers Cup banners would kick @$$.

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard of UConn flirting with the Big 12 beyond a bunch of fans dreaming?
It's been mentioned by Big 12 media. But I don't think we need the Big 12 anymore. Unless we want UConn hockey to stay in the Hockey East.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
B1G - Most stability ($$ + academic identity + longterm vision)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V
ACC - Better than where we are, easier travel, historic rivals, stability of being ESPNs house band.
|
|
|
|
|
V
Big 12 - Decent TV money, better opponents, conf. not sustainable, bad travel but not worse than the AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom