Biggest fear this season | The Boneyard

Biggest fear this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coach BD has made a distinction regarding level of understanding that the players have of playing the game and their respective positions (level one, two, etc.). We don't know the parameters of each level or how close the players are to upping their level. Whatever the case, the same is true for the coaching staff. At this point we have no clue if the head coach and his staff know what level two is for their part in all this. Can they raise their game to the next level from the ineptitude we saw from them last season? If yes, then with improvement from the players there is hope. If not, UConn is in for 3-4 more seasons of hopelessness as the whole program starts over again with a new coach/system and the CR apple moves out of reach yet again. This is a critical season for an uptick from everyone involved and my biggest fear is the head coach and the coaches he brought in don't measure up.

Reaction Score
my biggest fear most days is which BY post will create the highlest level of indigestion. Congrats, you've taken the lead for today.

why is fear so easy to aceept and optimism so hard to grasp?
5-7, 5-7, 3-9, 2-10.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

If it's the posts that give you indigestion, rather than the results on the field, your priorities are mixed up.

Reaction Score
I take it when you drive down the highway, you stare in the rearview mirror. Look forward, young man. Look forward.

Reaction Score
I take it when you drive down the highway, you stare in the rearview mirror. Look forward, young man. Look forward.

I take it that your vehicle has no review mirrors, because what's behind you is irrelevant. Except that emergency vehicle with the flashing lights.

Looking forward is great, we are all looking forward to next year; but looking back provides context. Context is important for rational discussion to be had on any subject.

Reaction Score
STARE was the key word.

Contextual for this thread would have stopped at 14 - since the thread is focused on the staff. the PP years are irrelevant.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Biggest Fear - ISIS shows up and gathers up all the Non-Islamic males (probably wont happend with under 20,000 on a consistent basis.)

Biggest fear is picking a QB who shows no leadership, no improvement throughout the season and doesnt leave us wanting more for next year as they all have 2 or more years left.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
5-7, 5-7, 3-9, 2-10.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

If it's the posts that give you indigestion, rather than the results on the field, your priorities are mixed up.
When removed from context, that looks rather ominous. If those 4 records all occurred under the same leadership and no changes were planned for 2015, you'd have a better point.

Think of it as a dilapidating building. Use the XL Center as your basis, if you please. 5-7, 5-7 and 0-4 represent a path of clear deterioration under aimless and apathetic (in my view) management (i.e MSG and AEG). 3-5 represents the "lipstick on a pig" phase where bids are being considered and the goal is clearly maintenance ($35 Million "upgrade"). 2-10 represents implosion/and or gutting and the pouring of a new foundation/footings to support better amenities.

I fully expect to meet bowl eligibility requirements next year and the mere measurements of the in-house offensive linemen from a different thread should give everyone reason for even the slightest level of optimism.

If expecting the worst means you can never be disappointed, it's far too depressing to have such a thought and makes for a shi11y outward disposition.

Reaction Score
Every day I feel better and better. Maybe it is because I believe or maybe it is just getting distance from last year. But I've lost my angst. (Or maybe I'm too busy worrying about our RPI)

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
My biggest fear is more of the same. I tend to be optimistic, expecting each season to be better than the last. Even in PP's 3rd year, through the first 4 games I kept waiting for the team to all of a sudden look like winners. I believe in BD and am encouraged by the changes that seem to be happening, but if Uconn starts conference play with less than 2 wins this year I'll be very very disappointed. I don't expect it, but I'm terrified of it.

Reaction Score
STARE was the key word.

Contextual for this thread would have stopped at 14 - since the thread is focused on the staff. the PP years are irrelevant.

Stare was the word that made the post a straw man. Pointing out the record isn't "staring". It's a response to your question. You asked why fear was so easy to accept. The answer is the string of bad seasons we've had which only got worse under a new staff who made some incredibly puzzling decisions, and followed that up in the offseason with personnel moves.

Maybe the good news is BD recognizes he made a mistake in Cummings. Maybe the bad news is he made another one, by bringing in a guy with 30+ years in the business and who has never been an OC.

There are plenty of reasons to be concerned with the program, and one doesn't need to "stare" in the rear mirror to see them.

I hope Verducci is the man. If the doesn't improve the offense, will Diaco move him after 1 year too?

Balis was obviously a great hire, so Diaco may yet turn this thing around as guys start to improve, and recruiting improves. I think he can and will turn it around. But I'm not going to ignore obvious mistakes that have been made.

Reaction Score
When removed from context, that looks rather ominous. If those 4 records all occurred under the same leadership and no changes were planned for 2015, you'd have a better point.

Think of it as a dilapidating building. Use the XL Center as your basis, if you please. 5-7, 5-7 and 0-4 represent a path of clear deterioration under aimless and apathetic (in my view) management (i.e MSG and AEG). 3-5 represents the "lipstick on a pig" phase where bids are being considered and the goal is clearly maintenance ($35 Million "upgrade"). 2-10 represents implosion/and or gutting and the pouring of a new foundation/footings to support better amenities.

I fully expect to meet bowl eligibility requirements next year and the mere measurements of the in-house offensive linemen from a different thread should give everyone reason for even the slightest level of optimism.

If expecting the worst means you can never be disappointed, it's far too depressing to have such a thought and makes for a shi11y outward disposition.

Instead of wasting time drawing a poor analogy to the Civic Center, try looking at our QB depth chart and telling me we should be excited.

Diaco isn't entirely responsible for 2-10. But he left wins on the table. There's no convincing me, and others, that his decisions didn't leave wins on the table. That decision making leaves me, and others, concerned. That's not "staring" into the past.

Reaction Score
My biggest fear is that the snow won't melt in time for the spring game. And not being and to see all the home games in person

Reaction Score
my biggest fear most days is which BY post will create the highlest level of indigestion. Congrats, you've taken the lead for today.

why is fear so easy to aceept and optimism so hard to grasp?

Do you really yearn for a BY where only the pollyanna posters comment? You think that board would be remotely informative or readable?

Reaction Score
My biggest fear for the program is we start with losses to a 1aa team and Army heading into Missouri. It coul get really really ugly if that happens... Like 0-12 ugly. Especially if we hear preseason and partner nonsense after the losses. And see 90 guys rotating in and out.

Reaction Score

Would 6-6 with bowl eligibility do it? Looking at the 2015 schedule I think it's doable. Not to mention a nice improvement over '14. Better than 6-6? Not so sure.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Instead of wasting time drawing a poor analogy to the Civic Center, try looking at our QB depth chart and telling me we should be excited.

Diaco isn't entirely responsible for 2-10. But he left wins on the table. There's no convincing me, and others, that his decisions didn't leave wins on the table. That decision making leaves me, and others, concerned. That's not "staring" into the past.

I couldn't care less if you are excited about anything and I don't care to convince you that the team probably could have been 4-8 (because they probably could have been). I do certainly feel the negativity is unproductive. Also keep this in mind: Coach Diaco didn't fumble on the first possession for what seemed to be 8 games in a row. Diaco didn't throw a TAINT vs. Army when he should have thrown it away with time and downs to spare. Diaco certainly didn't get the ball ripped out of his 23 rep, 225 lb. bench pressings arms vs. Boise (I had to leave the SMU game in the first quarter due to a medical emergency. All I know of that game is they lost. I didn't watch the game). At the end of the day, if the players are developing, and the team is improving, there is not much difference between 2-10 and 4-8. This was going to be a multi-year process from the outset. I just hope, "multi-" means "Two." From the early returns, it at least looks promising.

Since you asked, though. I'll go deeper. I'm excited by the progress of the offensive line.

No conclusions can possibly be drawn on the QB position based on last year. The 1st string QB was forced off the field, the 2nd string QB was broken by a previous regime, which put pressure on the fan base to clamor for an apparently under-prepared 3rd string QB to take snaps. A 4th player listed in that position was not allowed by rule to see the game field. I didn't like the 2-QB system last year and I highly doubt we'll see that this year. It's a new roster. The aforementioned 4th QB becomes eligible and a superstar player at the state level is already in the fold.

However, what gets me excited about the QB depth, since you asked, is not the player(s) taking the snaps. It's the player doing the snapping and the 2 young men on either side of him.

The line makes the QB. It's hardly ever the other way around.

Reaction Score
I do certainly feel the negativity is unproductive.

Honest question: How is anything said here either productive or unproductive?

You're not going all Spackler and think what we type here really means anything, are you?

Reaction Score
1) The Army game should never have even come down to that last possession
2) If it wasn't for what Whitmer did right in that game, especially late, he never would have gotten the chance to throw the game away.

The difference between 4-8 and 2-10?
1) 100% more wins.
2) it would have been an improvement over the prior season.
3) it would have left some of us with fewer concerns, because it wasn't just that we didn't win, it was why and how we didn't win.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Honest question: How is anything said here either productive or unproductive?

You're not going all Spackler and think what we type here really means anything, are you?

No. I'll reiterate...

"If expecting the worst means you can never be disappointed, it's far too depressing to have such a thought and makes for a shi11y outward disposition."

Just looking after you guys and finding one of many silver linings, my man. Pull the shades, up, put down the bottle, and enjoy the day.

Husky25

Reaction Score
1) The Army game should never have even come down to that last possession
2) If it wasn't for what Whitmer did right in that game, especially late, he never would have gotten the chance to throw the game away.

The difference between 4-8 and 2-10?
1) 100% more wins.
2) it would have been an improvement over the prior season.
3) it would have left some of us with fewer concerns, because it wasn't just that we didn't win, it was why and how we didn't win.
A better record doesn't necessarily mean improvement and fans' concerns are on the fans. Though it's called Monday Morning (or arm chair) Quarterbacking, the reality is that football is probably the single most difficult sport for the average Joe to second guess. Too many nuances at too many positions.

Reaction Score
No. I'll reiterate...

"If expecting the worst means you can never be disappointed, it's far too depressing to have such a thought and makes for a shi11y outward disposition."

Just looking after you guys and finding one of many silver linings, my man. Pull the shades, up, put down the bottle, and enjoy the day.

The irony is you all assume we are unhappy WITH OUR LIVES instead of the FOOTBALL PROGRAM, while some of you constantly express dismay at the first post that doesn't share your sunny disposition of the future of UConn football.

see post #2 in this thread.

Reaction Score
A better record doesn't necessarily mean improvement and fans' concerns are on the fans. Though it's called Monday Morning (or arm chair) Quarterbacking, the reality is that football is probably the single most difficult sport for the average Joe to second guess. Too many nuances at too many positions.

No, but a worse record against worse competition is an issue. Many people weren't second guessing, we were wondering in real time WTF he was thinking against Tulane, USF, and Army (off the top of my head).

Reaction Score
No, but a worse record against worse competition is an issue. Many people weren't second guessing, we were wondering in real time WTF he was thinking against Tulane, USF, and Army (off the top of my head).

You could go all the way back to BYU. I remember posting from 241 the moment he put in Whitmer once we reached the red zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom