biggest comeback? | The Boneyard

biggest comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
its been awhile, but what is UConns largest comeback win?
i can't think of many games.... i know this year they were down by 10 to notre dame, but that was early in the game...

Reaction Score
I cannot come up with a single game in which UConn bounced back from a double digit deficit. The only possibility might be Texas in 2003?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think (but I'm not sure) that the halftime deficit of 20-12 in the 2010 NC game was the largest margin that Stanford enjoyed throughout the game. UConn made a quick comeback in the second half and opened up a double-digit lead before finally winning by just 6.

What about the DePaul game in Maya's freshman year, that they won by one point on Ketia Swanier's layup following Maya's steal? I think they were down by double digits in the second half of that game before they came back, but I don't recall for sure.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Er... LSU? NC? One of those teams, I think, a number of years ago. We were down by a LOT. I think we ended up with a 40-point swing to win the game.

Don't quote me on it. I'm going to see if I can figure out which game it was or if I'm just imagining it.

Reaction Score
Not really in the conversation for the largest - but in terms of lateness of the game/importance, Georgetown led by 7 with less than 10 minutes left in the NCAAs

Reaction Score
January 21, 2008. Down by 11 points to NC in the first half. Came back and won by 9. So not the 40-point swing I was thinking of but a good 20-point one.

I was at that game, very exciting night at Gampel. Best UConn crowd I've ever had the fortune to be part of. UNC raced out to their lead before Maya ever got off the bench. Once she did, the game turned around, although several Tar Heels were playing quite well.

Reaction Score
January 21, 2008. Down by 11 points to NC in the first half. Came back and won by 9. So not the 40-point swing I was thinking of but a good 20-point one.
I was at that game, very exciting night at Gampel. Best UConn crowd I've ever had the fortune to be part of. UNC raced out to their lead before Maya ever got off the bench. Once she did, the game turned around, although several Tar Heels were playing quite well.

Great catch. UConn was, in fact, down double digits in that game.
Maya Moore started that game.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm still in shock from last year's big Tournament comebacks. Down by 6 to BYU in the first half and still trailing with only about 17 minutes left in the game, the Huskies roared back to win by 19. Then the next game in the Elite 8 game they were down by 7 to Texas A&M in the first half before coming back to win by 15.

But the biggest comeback I can remember came back in the Elite 8 game of the 2008 tourney against Rutgers when the team was down by 27-13 with less than 4 and a half minutes to go in the first half, but then surged back to win by 10.

Reaction Score
I'm still in shock from last year's big Tournament comebacks. Down by 6 to BYU in the first half and still trailing with only about 17 minutes left in the game, the Huskies roared back to win by 19. Then the next game in the Elite 8 game they were down by 7 to Texas A&M in the first half before coming back to win by 15.

But the biggest comeback I can remember came back in the Elite 8 game of the 2008 tourney against Rutgers when the team was down by 27-13 with less than 4 and a half minutes to go in the first half, but then surged back to win by 10.

I do not have the tape or the play by play, but UConn was down double digits in that regional final. Another good catch.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score

Nice! I've only been to three games since I graduated nearly 10 years ago. :(

The biggest one was the Florida State game in 2010 for our 89th consecutive win. OSB (who disappeared a few years ago) and a friend of his went with me, my husband, and a not-quite-five-month-old Mini Chick. Lots of fun.

I think my reference to a 40-point swing was my mentally confusing this game with an LSU-TN game when Van Chancellor was coach. LSU was down by almost 20 and came back to win and I have no idea what the final score was--or if the swing was even that big. Heh.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score

The physicality of that game really exposed how few good refs there are in WBB.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, the Knights' bump, grab, and grind defense was never easy to deal with, and Maya had a very low-key game, but following on the horrible pull down and nagging injury in the regular season game that may ultimately have cost the Huskies a clean shot at an NC, she had to be mindful of what could happen in a Rutgers game. Huskies shot 14-14 on FTs in the final 2:08 after Maya put them in the lead with a 3-pter with just under 3 minutes to go, Ketia 6-6, Tina 4-4, Kaili 2-2, Renee 2-2.

Reaction Score
The only one that nearly gave me heart failure was the Virginia game in the 1995 tournament. Down by 6 or 7 at the half (first time all year) and Cavs were on a tremendous roll. A loss would have spoiled that glorious first undefeated season. I think the whole state was pretty freaked out.

Reaction Score
The only one that nearly gave me heart failure was the Virginia game in the 1995 tournament. Down by 6 or 7 at the half (first time all year) and Cavs were on a tremendous roll. A loss would have spoiled that glorious first undefeated season. I think the whole state was pretty freaked out.

The biggest difference between the Elite 8 game against Virginia and the similar game against North Carolina the year before was Nykesha Sales. Sales was huge in crunch time against Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom