Big XII Expansion on the Horizon? | The Boneyard

Big XII Expansion on the Horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey everyone,

New poster here. I've been monitoring the boneyard for quite some time and am a die hard Husky fan/grad. I know that the Big XII is most likely out of the question and I'm not sure if this article has already been posted, but I thought it to be interesting. I literally lose sleep over the fact that we are in this ridiculous conference. I have vivid dreams of what our future could look like in the B1G or ACC. But what if the Big XII had an Eastern push. And what if it included us. Here's a link to the ESPN article:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...et-snubbed-college-football-playoff-committee

Reaction Score
Also, there is this. If they do go to an 8 team playoff, that would undoubtedly force the Big XII to expand...

upload_2014-11-12_12-50-17.png

pj

Reaction Score
Why would an 8-team playoff force them to expand?

Reaction Score
As a Bearcat fan knowing some of how the current athletic department operates, the budget, and the basketball arena plans...it would save their butts...and it would fit the theme that anything that happens in conference alignment has to kick UConn square in the nuts (Prefer you guys to BYU or the directional florida schools, but apparently God hates UConn as much as he hates Cleveland...

Reaction Score
Why would an 8-team playoff force them to expand?
My understanding of this is that since the Big XII doesn't have a conference championship they would need one to get an automatic bid to the CFP. It could also be interpreted that they would allow the regular season champ to be included in the Big XII's case. I understand that this is extremely unlikely, but I'm still hopeful that another round of expansion comes in the next few years and that this time, in the words of Broman, we aren't kicked square in the nuts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I actually bought into the Big 12's line that they would have 'one true champion' and clearly, so do they.

And it's a perfectly fine idea....right up until the second the season ends in a tie.

Let's see what happens when Texas or Oklahoma or T. Boone Pickens is told they're not the champions because they lost on the road to the co-leader.

The Big 12 will expand the following morning.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind a 6 team playoff. Top 2 seeds get a bye. Keeps the regular season meaningful.

Reaction Score
As a Bearcat fan knowing some of how the current athletic department operates, the budget, and the basketball arena plans...it would save their butts...and it would fit the theme that anything that happens in conference alignment has to kick UConn square in the nuts (Prefer you guys to BYU or the directional florida schools, but apparently God hates UConn as much as he hates Cleveland...
He hates us more than Cleveland!!!

Reaction Score
I actually bought into the Big 12's line that they would have 'one true champion' and clearly, so do they.

And it's a perfectly fine idea....right up until the second the season ends in a tie.

Let's see what happens when Texas or Oklahoma or T. Boone Pickens is told they're not the champions because they lost on the road to the co-leader.

The Big 12 will expand the following morning.
This is exactly right. The BXII is locked into a round robin format, and they promote this format because, at present, they haven’t anything else to sell. However, if things get wonky and the BXII gets b**** slapped for not having a championship game, things will change faster than T. Boone goes down on a Thai hooker…and I mean that respectfully. BXII can add a few teams to get up to 14, notwithstanding the fact Bob Bowlsby doesn’t feel good candidates are available. In the end though, I’m not sure it’s going to matter. To my eyes the BXII and ACC are the weak sisters of the P5. I can’t say we are heading to P4. I don’t know anyone who can say that definitively. Yet, by the time the B1G gets theirs, and the SEC and PAC get theirs, I don’t see the ACC and BXII playing in the future with the same lineups they have today.

Reaction Score
Or...TCU and/or Baylor make it to the final 4 without a conference championship this year. Why would the Big 12 expand?

And the thought each conference champ gets a spot is silly. That only works if everyone agrees the conferences are competitively equal...which they ain't.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why would a billionaire go down on a Thai hooker? Why would anyone go down on a Thai hooker? In fact, why would anyone go down on a hooker of any stripe?

It's very risky and why would someone pay to put themselves in harm's way?

This is crazy talk.

Reaction Score
Or...TCU and/or Baylor make it to the final 4 without a conference championship this year. Why would the Big 12 expand?

And the thought each conference champ gets a spot is silly. That only works if everyone agrees the conferences are competitively equal...which they ain't.

It could work out that way as is evidenced by the current CFP rankings. It also helps that TCU has a relatively easy slate ahead ( I would say very easy, but they're playing UT in Austin which is never an easy feat); however, I think Alabama ends up getting in over TCU if they beat Miss St. I also, think a potential 1 loss Miss St. gets in over TCU. In any event, I think it's in UConn's best interest that no Big XII team gets into the playoff. At the very least it would stir up the conversation of more realignment and have conferences guessing what moves others could be making in the future. I will admit that is sheer speculation.

Reaction Score
Why would a billionaire go down on a Thai hooker? Why would anyone go down on a Thai hooker? In fact, why would anyone go down on a hooker of any stripe? It's very risky and why would someone pay to put themselves in harm's way? This is crazy talk.
Respectfully, Lynn Wood's predilections for kathoey's probably have no place in realignment discussions albeit even on the Boneyard. Then again, whatever floats his boat, toots his horn, and blows wind up her skirt with stimpy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Respectfully, Lynn Wood's predilections for kathoey's probably have no place in realignment discussions albeit even on the Boneyard. Then again, whatever floats his boat, toots his horn, and blows wind up her skirt with stimpy.
Just trying to paint a picture with words. You know how very ‘literary’ I am. Frankly, about 98% of that post was about college football…in some fashion. At most 2% was about women of ‘lighter virtues’. Furthermore, there was context, not just some ‘off-the-cuff’ crass reference. I think that post stands proudly on its own merits.

Reaction Score
It will be a minimum of 5 years, more likely 10, before playoff expansion gets considered.
The BCS lasted 16 years. And yet everyone seems to think the 4 team playoff will be gone in 2-3. No frikkin way.

Reaction Score
It will be a minimum of 5 years, more likely 10, before playoff expansion gets considered.
The BCS lasted 16 years. And yet everyone seems to think the 4 team playoff will be gone in 2-3. No frikkin way.
$ will be the cause of death before five years. Eight in three.

Reaction Score
We all know the Big 12 will do something like take Cincy, USF, UCF, and Tulane (just to spite us that much more).

We'll just be sitting here channeling Vince Lombardi... "What the hell is going on out here?"

Reaction Score
This season, I can see the controversy if a 2 loss SEC team wins the SEC championship (think Georgia or Missouri from the SEC East) and gets an 'automatic' bid to the playoff. In the addition, due to its 'strength' a playoff wildcard slot goes to Miss St who finished the season with 1 loss (Alabama this weekend while Alabama loses to Georgia in said SEC title game). The other 2 slots go to undefeated, ACC champ Florida St and a 1 loss PAC 12 winner in Oregon or ASU. Thus, 2 potential, non-championship XII teams are frozen out in TCU and Baylor in part due to the fact that did not win a championship.

Reaction Score
I don't understand...it is at four presently.

They made a lot of money going from 2 to 4. And yet it took them 16 years to do so.
But now a lot of money is going to make them go from 4 to 8 in 3 years? There is NO evidence to suggest that.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Since we are playing the "what ifs" game......Anarchy sets in when 'Miss St beats 'Bama, loses to Ole Miss, takes a 1 loss record into the SEC Championship game and loses to Mizzou, which somehow leaps into the title game. SEC is then shutout of teh playoff with FL State, Oregon, TCU and Baylor. THAT "could" actually happen...sort of.....and THAT would cause an immediate adjustment not by just the SEC.....but by their flag wavers....ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom