???????? Big Ten Media Negotiation Question ??????? | The Boneyard

???????? Big Ten Media Negotiation Question ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone know when their current deal expires? When they’ll start in earnest with negotiations for a new media deal? Don’t these negotiations start well before the current deal is complete?

Reaction Score
It expires after the 2016-17 school year. Typically negotiations with the current media partner begin a year before expiration, but I believe the Big Ten intends to take the new deal to the open market even if they wind up renewing with ESPN.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It expires after the 2016-17 school year. Typically negotiations with the current media partner begin a year before expiration, but I believe the Big Ten intends to take the new deal to the open market even if they wind up renewing with ESPN.

The common thought is that Fox will be a player, correct?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
dayooper said:

My prediction is a split package much like the NFL has with its networks between ESPN, Fox, and the BTN. Perhaps an odd game with other networks.

I think the promotional advantages to being a valued partner with multiple distribution outlets is worth more than a few extra million for the league by being exclusive.

Of course if we are talking a few extra million per team annually, then maybe reconsider how much value their is to spreading your product around.

Delany will get it right.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
My prediction is a split package much like the NFL has with its networks between ESPN, Fox, and the BTN. Perhaps an odd game with other networks.

I think the promotional advantages to being a valued partner with multiple distribution outlets is worth more than a few extra million for the league by being exclusive.

Of course if we are talking a few extra million per team annually, then maybe reconsider how much value their is to spreading your product around.

Delany will get it right.

I think that's correct unless Fox comes in and makes an offer Delany can't refuse. When Fox wants in to something, they go all out. People were shocked at how much they paid to get the NFC contract from CBS. It has paid off and really was a steal. That being said, I think Fox gets the lion's share, ESPN get a few choice games and NBC/CBS might get a game as well.

Reaction Score

FOX and NBC would both dearly like to fill their sports channels with more inventory, so I imagine it will be a good, old-fashioned bidding war.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FOX and NBC would both dearly like to fill their sports channels with more inventory, so I imagine it will be a good, old-fashioned bidding war.
Ugh, I'm getting flashbacks to the last 'real Big East' contract negotiations.

Reaction Score
I think Delany already has an idea of what Fox will offer. It's a matter of ESPN coming in and topping that offer. Whoever gets it will be forking over the cash, that's for sure. I think ESPN will outbid Fox. Too risky for ESPN to let other sports channels get too much good inventory.

Reaction Score
ESPN will say "we'll offer an additional 90mil if you invite our ole state U.

LOL

Reaction Score
The Big Ten will begin negotiating it's T1 media rights this spring. Adam Silver, the president of the Big Ten Network is on record saying so. The current contract expires after the 2016/2017 academic Year, specifically it expires on July 1 at 12am.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN will say "we'll offer an additional 90mil if you invite our ole state U.

LOL
They ought to. We bring value and the go from black to white hat in the state overnight.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt but the Big Ten is going to get a big pay raise during the negotiations. Bundled cable-satellite TV is coming to an end one way or another, which is a good thing. ESPN-NBC Sports-Fox Sports make a boatload of money on the fact that millions of Americans are forced to purchase their products through bundled cable or satellite TV. More and more networks are opting to provide scream and services for their content. This may or may not complicate the negotiations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom