Big Ten eyes new Midwest locales for 2018 basketball tournament | The Boneyard

Big Ten eyes new Midwest locales for 2018 basketball tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The off-and-on courtship between the Big Ten and Madison Square Garden is back on, as the league ponders where to hold its 2018 men’s basketball tournament.

"We were talking, then we weren’t talking,” Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. “Now we’re looking at it again.”

But Delany has a backup plan. Or several backup plans, to be precise.

Delany told the Tribune that if the tournament does not go to the Big Apple, strong possibilities to host include Omaha, Minneapolis and Detroit.

“I’m thinking that if it’s not New York, we’ll put it up (for bid) and see who’s really interested,” he said. “Omaha is hungry.”

The 2018 event remains up for grabs, in part because Madison Square Garden is already booked by the Big East for the final weekend before the NCAA tournament. So the Big Ten would have to move up its date – and pay a lot for the privilege of moving its event to the media capital of the world.

“We’ll continue to explore the New York situation,” Delany said, “but New York is expensive.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-jim-delany-big-ten-basketball-20140911-story.html

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
“We’ll continue to explore the New York situation,” Delany said, “but New York is expensive.”

l
Mr. Delaney I have Mr Manuel on line 1, He says it's regarding B1G Tournament ticket revenue?"

Reaction Score
by the way, there are plenty of reason the B1G and CONN fit.
us-map-distorted-by-population.png

Reaction Score
Jesus. Not this again. MSG = UCONN South. If you want the Mecca, UCONN can deliver. We all have our usefulness in CR. RU's use is/was cable boxes. UCONN's is to deliver NYC hoops.

This really nails it. Short and to the point. I should mail this to Delany.

Reaction Score
Jesus. Not this again. MSG = UCONN South. If you want the Mecca, UCONN can deliver. We all have our usefulness in CR. RU's use is/was cable boxes. UCONN's is to deliver NYC hoops.
The closest ACC school to MSG is BC at 200 miles away. I really hope the B1G calls before those clowns in NC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
From MSG to Omaha is...how do you say...a slight downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom