Reaction Score
Visiting this weekend are:

Mercedes Russell (C) Ranked #1
Kaela Davis (Wg/G) Ranked #2
Tyler Scaife (Pg)Ranked #9
Emmonnie Henderson (G) Ranked #40
Jordan Reynolds (G) Ranked #42

They already have a verbal from Jannah Tucker (G) Ranked #8

If they end up with Mercedes, Russell and Tyler plus one of the two guards, it will be a great class. IMHO they lead for Mercedes and Kaela and I don't know about the others.

If they get this class there won't be any coaching controversy for a number of years as they'll have the talent to compete for a National Championship.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If they have the talent to compete for a national championship and fail to do so (like the last couple of years), there absolutely should be a coaching controversy. Tennessee would have proved the brand was strong enough to recruit at a world-class level without Pat Summitt, and thus would deserve a head coach capable of realizing the potential.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I guess what I'm saying Holly will get a pass for two or three years. Definitely next year as they don't have the talent to compete for a National Championship. She'll get a pass when the 2013 class are freshmen as most will say the team is young and needs experience. Now if she doesn't have the team in the Final Four by year three or four, definitely there will talk about replacing her with another coach. Who knows if Tyler has success at Marquette, he just might be the person, people are talking about.

Now if she doesn't sign a great class this year, the controversy could begin next year.

If they have the talent to compete for a national championship and fail to do so (like the last couple of years), there absolutely should be a coaching controversy. Tennessee would have proved the brand was strong enough to recruit at a world-class level without Pat Summitt, and thus would deserve a head coach capable of realizing the potential.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think they will land Russell and Davis and very possibly Scaife. That would be a fantastic and put Tennessee right back on the map.

I am still of the opinion that Russell is rated too high and will have much less impact at the college level than anticipated. Just my opinion.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
A exciting weekend indeed.

The KD story sure has taken a lot of twists and turns......maybe a reality show is in order! With her mom in the starring role, of course. :D

After all is said and done, I am betting she'll end up wearing orange.

Reaction Score
Visiting this weekend are:

Mercedes Russell (C) Ranked #1
Kaela Davis (Wg/G) Ranked #2
Tyler Scaife (Pg)Ranked #9
Emmonnie Henderson (G) Ranked #40
Jordan Reynolds (G) Ranked #42

They already have a verbal from Jannah Tucker (G) Ranked #8

If they end up with Mercedes, Russell and Tyler plus one of the two guards, it will be a great class. IMHO they lead for Mercedes and Kaela and I don't know about the others.

If they get this class there won't be any coaching controversy for a number of years as they'll have the talent to compete for a National Championship.

Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz is incorrect on Henderson being a guard. She is a post player.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The KD story sure has taken a lot of twists and turns......maybe a reality show is in order! With her mom in the starring role, of course. :D

After all is said and done, I am betting she'll end up wearing orange.
Davis and Carter are good friends. I think that may help with the decision.

Reaction Score
If they end up with Mercedes, Russell and Tyler plus one of the two guards, it will be a great class.

I'm just hoping the LV's get competitive enough again to advance far enough in the tournament so that UConn can take 'em to the shed for a long-overdue butt kickin'!

It's doesn't matter who they get...they will continue to be inferior to the Huskies, most notably in the coaching department.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Avolfan

Do you see the Lady Vols wanting tosign a Six Pack for 2013 or will they spread out their recruiting to have more balanced classes? I thought they wanted balanced classes, now I'm not sure. Looks like they want a big Splash

Hoopgurlz is incorrect on Henderson being a guard. She is a post player.

Reaction Score
Utenn has always recruited the best athletes out of the high school ranks, but do they become better team players while there. I will always believe that sets us apart from utenn and many other of the top programs. It has been said before that Geno recruits more than just athletes to UCONN. He treats everyone the same, but different too. I have seen Stef on the bench trying to hold back the tears. I remember Tina almost quitting, then she turned it all around in her Jr. year. Remember he told Tina that if she played like an All - American they would win the title. We not only won the title but went on a record breaking undefeated streak.

Utenn I believe will always be a top 10 team and may even win another NC, but as far as being able to sustain the lofty status UCONN has achieved is probably not going to happen. Just mho.
GO UCONN

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping the LV's get competitive enough again to advance far enough in the tournament so that UConn can take 'em to the shed for a long-overdue butt kickin'!

It's doesn't matter who they get...they will continue to be inferior to the Huskies, most notably in the coaching department.

- Well, that concisely put this thread in perspective.
- You have the Heart of a Husky Fan, Stray Cat.

Reaction Score
Avolfan

Do you see the Lady Vols wanting tosign a Six Pack for 2013 or will they spread out their recruiting to have more balanced classes? I thought they wanted balanced classes, now I'm not sure. Looks like they want a big Splash

Wbb. four is the target, but they will take five if another who wants to come is rated high enough. I don't think six.

Reaction Score
Im not saying this because I am a UCONN fan but Mercedes Russell is a good player, but she is definately not the best in c/o 2013. Yup I am saying she is over rated, and I agree, she will not have the impact every one is expecting. If I eat my words, hey, I just eat them!

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Of course everyone wants a Kid at least 6 5 and above, can't hurt can it, but I also agree that she will not be a # 1 wow player, the class is deep and they will all contribute unlike 2012 IMO where you had a handful who will show their stuff. Davis and Deshields are the superior athletes but they also come with the question of whether they can play with a team to get the ultimate result!

Reaction Score
Mercedes Mercedes Mercedes....everybody loves Mercedes......:rolleyes:, there is a reason why she is ranked #1 overall in her class....BUT i've yet to discover it! From the clips ive seen, she is very skilled for a high school post player, which is very rare these days....alot of high school post players are just tall and can shoot over their opponents but I have to say Mercedes has some very nice footwork for a big girl which MAY allow her to score 10-15 points on the collegiate level but no more than that! I LOVE Tenn :p but I wish they would have went a little harder for Kendall Cooper...nevertherless if Mercedes does commit to Tenn, Ill still be very happy! lol

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think they will land Russell and Davis and very possibly Scaife. That would be a fantastic and put Tennessee right back on the map.

I am still of the opinion that Russell is rated too high and will have much less impact at the college level than anticipated. Just my opinion.
Is Mercedes Russell the next Britney Griner or the next Kelsey Bone?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's no one like Griner, tho (IMHO) unless they are 6'7" and athletic like she is with a great handle and a soft touch with the ball. So at 6'5", Russell is nothing like Griner (any more than Stewart at 6'4" is like Griner)...

But I get your point. there are players rated #1 or 2 in classes who are like Taurasi, Augustus, Moore, EDD, Griner, KML, Williams, Stewart, etc... and there are #1 or #2 players who are like Sykes, Strother, Bjorkland, Robinson, Bone, etc...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Until Mercedes gets into college we won't know what her work ethic will be. However, based on her play with Team USA, I think she is more like Kelsey Bone then Elizabeth Williams. I didn't want to compare her to Griner due to her size and also Griner was a better talent coming out of High School then Mercedes is.

However, with that said, I wouldn't mind if she and the coaching staff were still considering each other.

Reaction Score
I saw Mercedes two years ago and thought she *could*potentially be better than Stewert. Then, I saw both this year, where as I saw Stewert continue to improve and dominant the Nike TOC, and Russell...not show the big improvement as I've thought. Now, I don't know if I'll rate Diamond above her. Diamond does have a smoothness that I have rarely seen in the women's game. Mercedes still has a lot of tools to become great though, but I agree with a few of the posters.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Until Mercedes gets into college we won't know what her work ethic will be. However, based on her play with Team USA, I think she is more like Kelsey Bone then Elizabeth Williams. I didn't want to compare her to Griner due to her size and also Griner was a better talent coming out of High School then Mercedes is.
r.

I assume you think Williams is a better player than Bone ??

Reaction Score
I have seen Russell, Deshields, Davis, Harper, Scaife , McCall.... Imo Diamond is better than them all.

Reaction Score
I have seen Russell, Deshields, Davis, Harper, Scaife , McCall.... Imo Diamond is better than them all.

I honestly think Davis is the best in this class.... Diamond indeed is a great player....Ive had the chance to see both of them play and imho Davis has the better all-around skill set...both offensive and defensive wise...just my opinion though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom