Big East teams with the best home field advantage | The Boneyard

Big East teams with the best home field advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's really hard to even begin to take that list seriously.

Well, the thing that helps me take that seriously is the fact that they are citing Las Vegas as the producer of the metric. Those people seem to have only one bias; money. I don't think that the measurement is meant to say that we are 3x harder to beat on the road than Va Tech. I think it means that if you expected us to be an equal performer with someone like Rutgers (for instance), then we are much more likely to win that 50/50 game at home than we are on the road. It's all about trying to figure out where to put your money on a bet, and the fact that they are betting on The Rent is pretty cool to me!

Reaction Score
i think if you looked at our win percentage and performance at home versus on the road, our margin would be wider than most schools. until recently we never won on the road, and still struggle whereas at home we can beat anybody. look at our games against UVA a few years ago. i don't think UVA got 50 points worse between those two seasons. @ND was our best road victory ever and i think they were only a 6-6 team that year.

Reaction Score

yeah... but it attracts eyeballs and to the less knowing it's good info. We don't get many positive accolades - so I take every one as a step in right direction for the program.

Reaction Score
I'm with you. It is more like who has the best winning % at home as opposed to a true home field advantage. I think we do a good job at home, and it si not an easy place to play (with the exception of last year - losses to ISU, WMU, UL), but not sure we provide the same home field advantage as a Bama or LSU (who are in the 100's on that list). It doesn't seem to take into account the caliber of opponent the team is playing at home, but rather the winning %.

Reaction Score
I'm with you. It is more like who has the best winning % at home as opposed to a true home field advantage. I think we do a good job at home, and it si not an easy place to play (with the exception of last year - losses to ISU, WMU, UL), but not sure we provide the same home field advantage as a Bama or LSU (who are in the 100's on that list). It doesn't seem to take into account the caliber of opponent the team is playing at home, but rather the winning %.
Its taking into account the victories on the road as well... As the article points out you'd expect an elite team to be near the bottom because they win whether they're on the road or at home.
This isn't necessarily a list you want to be on or near the top.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The home record and the respect from the vegas gambler can be traced directly to the perception that the program is not as good as it is. The betting squares, I'll assume they're from SEC or B12 country, bet against us and the teams themselves think they're visiting a MAC stadium. I also think that early in the BCS years, the team looked at road games less as a business trip than it does now.

Reaction Score
Its taking into account the victories on the road as well... As the article points out you'd expect an elite team to be near the bottom because they win whether they're on the road or at home.
This isn't necessarily a list you want to be on or near the top.
So with Clemson at 11, Duke at 116, Wake and BC in the 90's, which one is good and which is bad?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One of the things people killed Edsall for was his road record (deserved), but his teams held serve at home. Hard to say exactly why UConn played so much better at home over the decade than on the road, but the split was so extreme I'd always expect them to show up on lists like this.

Reaction Score
So with Clemson at 11, Duke at 116, Wake and BC in the 90's, which one is good and which is bad?
The ranking is a ratio between record at home vs on the road. Uconn has a great record at home but is not very good on the road. Hence the strong home field advantage. Duke, bc, and wf probably don't show a big disparity between road and home games (winning a lot or losing a lot regardless of where you play negates home field advantage). Duke loses as much at home as they do on the road. That's the only way an Alabama can be at the bottom. they always win. Bc and wf are probably a little better at home than duke.
Clemson is weird. I'd say they tend to always win at home and lose only on the road.

Reaction Score
Put simply, the list isn't a ranking of the best home field advantage, it's a ranking of which teams perform well at home, and poorly on the road.

Unfortunately, we belong near the top.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If this list bothers you do not look at the projected spreads for the coming season on beyond the bets. Projects UConn as favored in only two games - UMass and Temple.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Put simply, the list isn't a ranking of the best home field advantage, it's a ranking of which teams perform well at home, and poorly on the road.

Unfortunately, we belong near the top.

How do you figure that?

Yes, UConn has been an awful road team, but why do you think that is reflected in this list?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How do you figure that?

Yes, UConn has been an awful road team, but why do you think that is reflected in this list?

Because the list reflects teams that play well at home and poorly on the road. That UConn fits that profile is pretty obvious without even looking at the numbers.

The author thinks he is capturing home field advantage when there are many more factors.

Reaction Score
If this list bothers you do not look at the projected spreads for the coming season on beyond the bets. Projects UConn as favored in only two games - UMass and Temple.
FWIW- Doesn't bother me, UConn has been pretty good ATS.

Reaction Score
How do you figure that?

See what others have said. It's not very clearly stated in the article, but it's in there if you read it. Honestly, I can't explain it any other way than it places more weight on home wins if you tend to lose more road games than home games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FWIW- Doesn't bother me, UConn has been pretty good ATS.

UConn had a couple of great years ATS. Edsall is well respected by gamblers for what it's worth.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
See what others have said. It's not very clearly stated in the article, but it's in there if you read it. Honestly, I can't explain it any other way than it places more weight on home wins if you tend to lose more road games than home games.

Interesting. Wonder why that is the case?

Wouldn't it seem that it would hold more weight to strictly home wins and that UConn's poor road record as just a coincidence?

Not really taking the article for more than it's worth, just curious to why the gambling lines would reflect that premise.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Wonder why that is the case?

Wouldn't it seem that it would hold more weight to strictly home wins and that UConn's poor road record as just a coincidence?

Not really taking the article for more than it's worth, just curious to why the gambling lines would reflect that premise.

I'm not sure why they measured it that way, other than to say they weren't trying to qualify home field "advantage" just home field "performance". The author may have used the data to determine home field advantage, I'm not sure.

I don't think the poor road record is a coincidence, however. I think home field advantage is huge. I think it's so important for UConn because we don't often get blown out or blow teams out (except FCS). Yes, it happens from time to time, but many years we have a lot of close games because we're a competitive team, but not a powerhouse. So those close wins aided by home field advantage can often turn to close losses on the road.

I have no data to support that, just going off a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom