Big East hires search firm to find next commish... | The Boneyard

Big East hires search firm to find next commish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From McMurphy @ CBS (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/19331473)

Russell Reynolds Associates, a search firm where Big East acting commissioner Joe Bailey was a former partner, has been hired by the Big East to conduct the search for its next commissioner.

Bailey was a former partner of Russell Reynolds Associates, which was selected over four other search firms by the Big East. Bailey was named the Big East's acting commissioner after John Marinatto resigned on May 7.

RRA's search will be headed by Alan Renne and Liz Boardman with assistance from Dean Stamoulis.

Cincinnati president Greg Williams is the chair of the Big East's search committee.

The salary for the Big East's next commissioner is expected to exceed $1 million with long-term incentives. Former commissioner John Marinatto earned $600,000 in 2010, USA Today reported.

Among the characteristics the next commissioner should have, according to RRA, include strong interpersonal skills, a servant leadership style, exposure to the media, superb managerial skills and a fabulous communicator. Experience negotiating with television networks is not essential, but can be learned.

The Big East hopes to have a new commissioner by Sept. 1, when the league begins its 60-day exclusivity window in its renegotiations with ESPN on a new media rights deal.

Bailey, who is currently managing director of RSR Partners, has said previously he is not a candidate for the Big East's commissioner job.

On its website, Russell Reynolds Associates indicates it "is a premier provider of senior-level executive search and assessment, serving clients globally for 40 years. We advise our clients on recruiting and retaining outstanding and impactful leaders, and help them mitigate the risks associated with senior level appointments."

http://www.russellreynolds.com/

Reaction Score
On its website, Russell Reynolds Associates indicates it "is a premier provider of senior-level executive search and assessment, serving clients globally for 40 years. We advise our clients on recruiting and retaining outstanding and impactful leaders, and help them mitigate the risks associated with senior level appointments."

http://www.russellreynolds.com/

These priorities are in the exact wrong order.

Reaction Score
They should have done this when Trangeese left. it's tough to find a good candidate when the person must be in Providence. They had their chance when the first 3 schools left. The presidents dropped the ball then, whatever they do now will have no impact

Reaction Score
They should have done this when Trangeese left. it's tough to find a good candidate when the person must be in Providence. They had their chance when the first 3 schools left. The presidents dropped the ball then, whatever they do now will have no impact

Reaction Score
I like Bailey from the little I have heard from him, I presume he doesn't want the job.

This process seems kind of slow considering the current landscape. I'd like to have a permanent guy in place now. The right type of commissioner would make his presence known at the BCS meetings and call those mofos out. The NBE should be making noise rather than being silent and we can't make much noise without a leader.

Reaction Score
"Experience negotiating with television networks is not essential"

considering our league's very survival is entirely dependent on our ability to get a suitable TV contract, I'd personally like that skill to be more important than "a servant leadership style", whatever the hell that means (does that mean sending roses to someone that just stomped you a new mud-hole? good grief).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

considering our league's very survival is entirely dependent on our ability to get a suitable TV contract, I'd personally like that skill to be more important than "a servant leadership style", whatever the hell that means (does that mean sending roses to someone that just stomped you a new mud-hole? good grief).

That whole candidate description makes my palms sweat:

Among the characteristics the next commissioner should have, according to RRA, include strong interpersonal skills, a servant leadership style, exposure to the media, superb managerial skills and a fabulous communicator. Experience negotiating with television networks is not essential, but can be learned.

WTF?!
_______
Interviewer: Have you been exposed to the media?
Candidate: Yeah, I watch some Sportscenter if no one good is on Letterman or if there isn't a good Seinfeld rerun on.
Interviewer: That's good, now have you ever negotiated with a television network?
Candidate: Um, like for real?
Interviewer: Yes.
Candidate: um, no, I guess.
Interviewer: That's okay you can learn.
Candidate: You really think so?
_______
I can't f'g believe that they are going to the bed with another commissioner search. I think I'm going to hurl.

Reaction Score
personally i think our next commissioner should be a slick S.O.B. that can actually get two of NBC, CBS, Fox or ESPN/ABC to compete for this product. interpersonal skills? i'll take a good negotiator over someone that knows how to compliment a college president. one of those is important, the other not so much.

pj

Reaction Score

Presumably they're spending a lot of money on professional services and hired guns will be the lead negotiators. Presumably "servant leader" means "agent for the university presidents, and don't forget it."

Reaction Score
As noted a month ago, it's no shocker for the BE to now engage one of the world's leading executive search firms. Surely, Russell Reynolds' executive recruiters will only identify entirely incompetent candidates who barely meet targeted qualifications and experience requirements. :rolleyes:

For those unaware, Greenwich-based, RSR Partners, and Russell Reynolds Associates were founded by the same Greenwich resident. Yup, Russell (S) Reynolds, Jr. If both firms were based in Providence and employed people of somewhat dubious capabilities, it'd almost be PCish.

Reaction Score
Presumably they're spending a lot of money on professional services and hired guns will be the lead negotiators. Presumably "servant leader" means "agent for the university presidents, and don't forget it."

My feelings, as well. Every Commissioner's job is a little like a high-tech Project Manager; lot's of responsibility, with authority doled out by Management on an issue-by-issue basis.

I hope the Prez's are looking for, or have already identified, Consultants that know how to effectively propose, counter-propose and rationally fight on behalf of clients seeking the best deal for TV rights; kind of like a Scott Borus for college conferences.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As noted a month ago, it's no shocker for the BE to now engage one of the world's leading executive search firms. Surely, Russell Reynolds' executive recruiters will only identify entirely incompetent candidates who barely meet targeted qualifications and experience requirements. :rolleyes:

For those unaware, Greenwich-based, RSR Partners, and Russell Reynolds Associates were founded by the same Greenwich resident. Yup, Russell (S) Reynolds, Jr. If both firms were based in Providence and employed people of somewhat dubious capabilities, it'd almost be PCish.

Garbage in, garbage out. A bad list of job requirements leads to a bad list of candidates.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle