Big 12 not considering expansion, title game after college football playoff snubs | The Boneyard

Big 12 not considering expansion, title game after college football playoff snubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DALLAS — The Big 12, the conference spurned the worst during the selection of teams for the inaugural College Football Playoff, will conclude two days of meetings Friday. It will have formal discussions on bountiful topics, but those topics will not include expansion, which happened to be the topic that recently caused a hubbub about this conference.

“I think our CEOs and our athletic directors are very heavily of the mind that 10 is the right number for us,” Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. “And I was proud of our athletic directors for not overreacting. There was no knee-jerk to it. They were very thoughtful.”

Where 10 feels warm, it also satisfies the cold. Ever since the early 2010s when the country shook and the Big 12 lost four schools but gained two to make 10, the Big 12-minded have repeated the economic lesson that it’s better to divide profits among 10 than among more than 10.

“We’re distributing about 25 million [dollars] per school, which is going to ramp up over the next 13 years to 40 million per school,” Bowlsby said at a table in his office in the prim but unassuming building hugging a highway near the airport. “Anybody we add that doesn’t bring pro-rata value is going to cause them to take a haircut, and most are not going to be willing to do that even if they could afford it.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...le-game-after-college-football-playoff-snubs/

Reaction Score
Translated: "we don't have a network to take into Colorado (and we're not going to do that anyway because that other university in Colorado took their fans to the PAC), so Colorado State isn't on our radar. Ditto the network issue with the states of Florida and Utah, but we're still quite happy with our get in West Virginia because we really like the AD there...what's that?".

Last edited:

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Bowlsby is admitting it: it isn't really about competition, it's all about the money. Who cares if they are at a disadvantage without a CCG when they are getting their $$$

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know, Funster, another take is that even among the P5 the cost of competition is so steep, that there isn't room for a reduction of income at the current level of expense. It's not like sports are subsidizing tuition costs.

Reaction Score
That's interesting. The B12 needs to stay competitive on the field to demand the dollars. If they continue to miss out on the CCG will they be able to recruit with the SEC/B1G. The SEC is in Texas and overlaps their market. Texas AM can't stand Texas and over time could use this plus being in the SEC as an advantage.

Curious, will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of years. If they get frozen out will that affect recruits thus affecting play on the field thus affecting dollar value?

Reaction Score
The ACC benefits the most from this statement as everyone knows the P5 will become the P4 in the next 5 to 10 years or so and the XII has just raised a white flag.

Reaction Score
What's the most active Cincy board, the csnbbs one?
I was reading this one.

Edited: Sorry can't get the link to work. It was Bearcat Journal at 247Sports.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If there was ever a dead man walking conference who has seemingly read the Big East handbook of conference self-destruction, it's absolutely the B12 . This conference will be toast by the time their next TV contract is up or GoR expires. There is no questioning that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If there was ever a dead man walking conference who has seemingly read the Big East handbook of conference self-destruction, it's absolutely the B12 . This conference will be toast by the time their next TV contract is up or GoR expires. There is no questioning that.
Disagree, it is the ACC. Schools with dissimilar interests, mix of public and private, basketball culture butting heads with football culture, addition of school that don't fit geographically, addition of schools that don't fit academically, and finally the coup de grâce of creating a special deal for ND- the ACC is the Big East part two. The only difference is the presence of ESPN as a sugar daddy.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Disagree, it is the ACC. Schools with dissimilar interests, mix of public and private, basketball culture butting heads with football culture, addition of school that don't fit geographically, addition of schools that don't fit academically, and finally the coup de grâce of creating a special deal for ND- the ACC is the Big East part two. The only difference is the presence of ESPN as a sugar daddy.
I think it's six of one, half a dozen of another. WVU is a geographic and cultural outlier in the B12, B12 also has state schools mixed with privates (Baylor, TCU have religious missions) and Texas probably considers itself "above" its conference mates in terms of academics and branding the way Notre Dame does. The football-bball split in the ACC is a political division that had an effect on UConn vs. Louisville in the last expansion, but I don't think it is as destabilizing to the conference as the Catholic 7 were to leaving the BE, because the C7 always had an incentive to explore leaving (Fox). The FSU/Clemson thing fizzled and while you can never say never, I think for the near term the addition of Louisville stabilized their situation (as much as I hate to admit it).

pj

Reaction Score
The B12 is getting held together by money and the geographic proximity of Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas. But geographic proximity matters less than ever now that money has gotten so high compared to travel costs, and athletes are more and more amateurs/students in name only; and the money is temporary, it expires in 10 years.

The ACC has many of the risk factors the Big East has but it benefits by the fact that most of its schools have no alternatives. Only UNC, UVa, Va Tech are really attractive to the SEC and B1G. FSU and Ga Tech are second in their markets, duplicative for the SEC, and too far south for the B1G. As long as UNC, UVa, and Va Tech are willing to give up money to keep the ACC together, it will be preserved. If Va Tech leaves, the ACCC would probably still survive. If UNC/UVa depart, then we're probably looking at an ACC/B12 merger.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

This is why The ACC will survive. ESPN will give just enough to keep it going. They have the ACC at such a discount that they can give a little for an ACCN. AD much as the SEC? In their dreams, but enough to bring them close to the Pac and The Big12.

The Big12 is done. Kansas and Oklahoma will jump the first chance they get. They only signed the GoR because they had no where to go. I believe that they have a place now. Times have changed and the Big10 targets then (ND, Texas) are no longer viable targets. Yes, if they said they wanted to come in, they would be welcomed with open arms, but I don't think they are realistic targets. Bringing in Oklahoma also brings in part of Texas (The Dallas market). Enough to get The BTN? No, but enough that people will watch those games on broadcast TV. That's where the money is. The BTN just makes money off of stuff that would make money before. The majority of the money comes from the main media deal, and Oklahoma will help with that. I also believe that you don't get Oklahoma alone and that's where Kansas comes in. Being a Bluebloods basketball school doesn't hurt either.

Nope, my opinion is that it's VT, UConn, Oklahoma, and Kansas for 18. Or possibly, two other schools to get to 20 which would make scheduling much easier.

Reaction Score
This is why The ACC will survive. ESPN will give just enough to keep it going. They have the ACC at such a discount that they can give a little for an ACCN. AD much as the SEC? In their dreams, but enough to bring them close to the Pac and The Big12.

The Big12 is done. Kansas and Oklahoma will jump the first chance they get. They only signed the GoR because they had no where to go. I believe that they have a place now. Times have changed and the Big10 targets then (ND, Texas) are no longer viable targets. Yes, if they said they wanted to come in, they would be welcomed with open arms, but I don't think they are realistic targets. Bringing in Oklahoma also brings in part of Texas (The Dallas market). Enough to get The BTN? No, but enough that people will watch those games on broadcast TV. That's where the money is. The BTN just makes money off of stuff that would make money before. The majority of the money comes from the main media deal, and Oklahoma will help with that. I also believe that you don't get Oklahoma alone and that's where Kansas comes in. Being a Bluebloods basketball school doesn't hurt either.

Nope, my opinion is that it's VT, UConn, Oklahoma, and Kansas for 18. Or possibly, two other schools to get to 20 which would make scheduling much easier.

Agreed. The ACC is more stable because of its superior footprint and direct connection to ESpin. The Big 12 is far too small minded to survive long term IMO. They chose short term riches over long term stability. That in itself is telling. The conference is entirely dependent on the whims of UT. Should Texas one day decide that they desire something different for their program, nothing will keep them from doing what they want to do. At that point The Big 12 would be picked off one by one. Their conference is uniquely situated in a way that the majority of its schools could be absorbed by neighboring P5 Conferences, and I believe that they will.

Reaction Score

If Va Tech were to jump then I could see NC State begin talking to the SEC. UNC, UVA and Duke will stay together, thick and thin. NC State, however, always had the option of increasing its profile with a conference move. They didn't take it last time because they were too loyal to the ACC. Maybe next time it could be different. In that case, I could see West Virginia being the SEC's #16. The rest of the ACC will have no where else to go, including Notre Dame. Without OU and KU, Texas and Notre Dame would get together for real and go full into the ACC, since any other option would not be optimal from their standpoint. Texas could take Baylor and Oklahoma State with them. TCU I could see go to the PAC for the Dallas/Ft. Worth market, along with Texas Tech, Kansas State and Iowa State. The PAC isn't in as good of a position as the SEC/Big Ten/ACC. Their geographical isolation is their saving grace but also a detriment in terms of leverage.

In case ND still remains stubborn in its FB indy status at that point then Cincinnati gets the call-up.

Baylor, Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, Notre Dame (or Cincinnati), Oklahoma State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Texas, UNC, UVA, Wake Forest

Reaction Score
The presence of ESPN is pretty much the key ingredient here, isn't it.
In my opinion, the Big 12 dissolves in a flash once Texas decides what it wants to do after the bonus plan runs out (12/10 split)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom