Big 12 commish: Consider new model | The Boneyard

Big 12 commish: Consider new model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Big 12 commissioner says the conference will reconsider how to declare its champion after being left out of the four-team college football playoff.

In a phone interview on the College Football Playoff Selection Show, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN's Rece Davis: "It's clear that we were penalized for not having a postseason championship game. It would have been nice to have been told that ahead of time."

"We have to weigh whether this is substantial enough to add institutions. ... It's certainly a major consideration."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ys-conference-reconsider-how-declare-champion

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is our long-awaited P5 opening. The next invite might not be for another 5-10 years. UCONN athletics might not make it that long if we are stuck in the AAC.

Warde & Susan: PLEASE. You both need to full-court press the B12. Can't accept 'NO' as an answer. UCONN's livelihood may very well be at stake here. All in. Cowboy Up.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The first power conference to invite us is where we will go (and bring our stacked trophy cases with us). We will all learn to love country line dancing.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
A lot of this is going to boil down to politics. I'm not confident Susan Herbst, Warde Manuel, & Company have relationships in the right places.

Reaction Score
A lot of this is going to boil down to politics. I'm not confident Susan Herbst, Warde Manuel, & Company have relationships in the right places.
Ollie Luck at WVU proposed merging what was left of Big East and Big 12 after SEC/PAC/ACC raids before they got added. He will maybe talk about our virtues?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Ollie Luck at WVU proposed merging what was left of Big East and Big 12 after SEC/PAC/ACC raids before they got added. He will maybe talk about our virtues?
We can only hope. But also, UConn just doesn't seem like a fit to me for what the Big 12 is trying to do. A blue state school not in their geographic area who focuses on Men's and Women's basketball. With arguably the worst football team in D1 this year.

Deep down I know it is all a pipe dream. I think right now we need to press as hard as possible to get in but at the same time have a solid plan for when we don't. We need to protect the assets we do have. The idea of going back to the Big East & independent for football is the most pragmatic, imo.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
This is not good news. We do not fit the Big 12 with good basketball and pathetic football.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Sports are cyclical. Football can and will turn it around. The B12 (and any Power conference for that matter) should invite schools that make them money. UCONN is the top available athletic department, as a whole, and we just so happen to have exposure into several top 30 markets. Not to mention, national championships add credits to a conference and we've won a few NCs recently.

You bring B12 football to the Rent and you have sellouts in an expanded 50K stadium. Of course, we would need to hire a new OC that believes in throwing the football once in a while and adopt a new coaching philosophy that punting on 4th and 1 from the 50 yard line is for losers.

Reaction Score
UCONN will never be in the Big 12. Seriously. Texas and Oklahoma inviting a school from New England which just managed to lose to SMU of all schools? No chance.
They work a deal where L-ville gets to leave for the Big12, no GOR issues, and the ACC gets UCONN. That would be more likely, meaning not likely at all. This is looking like a downward spiral.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sports are cyclical. Football can and will turn it around. The B12 (and any Power conference for that matter) should invite schools that make them money. UCONN is the top available athletic department, as a whole, and we just so happen to have exposure into several top 30 markets. Not to mention, national championships add credits to a conference and we've won a few NCs recently.

You bring B12 football to the Rent and you have sellouts in an expanded 50K stadium. Of course, we would need to hire a new OC that believes in throwing the football once in a while and adopt a new coaching philosophy that punting on 4th and 1 from the 50 yard line is for losers.
Email Warde and Susan.

Reaction Score
UCONN will never be in the Big 12. Seriously. Texas and Oklahoma inviting a school from New England which just managed to lose to SMU of all schools? No chance.
They work a deal where L-ville gets to leave for the Big12, no GOR issues, and the ACC gets UCONN. That would be more likely, meaning not likely at all. This is looking like a downward spiral.
Louisville is going nowhere. We need to full court press this. Hello Warde, Susan?

Reaction Score
We need to go all in like Oliver Luck did with WVU. The B12 needs this resolved ASAP so it can't happen again next year. Susan and Warde need to communicate that if the B12 rework their schedules in hoops, we will join next week. Exit fees be damned.

Reaction Score
Sadly agree. I mean sure, UConn should do a full court press but I can't imagine the Big 12 would ever come all the way up here.

Maybe we should wire 10 mil to Bowlsby's bank account in exchange for him playing coy with planted rumors of UConn being on the short list just to rattle a few cages in the B1G or ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 called ESPN and Fox and asked for another $40MM a year to cover 2 new teams, they might get it.

I think the problem is that the Big 12 doesn't want the travel to Storrs, but the pickings are pretty slim for 2 more teams. If BYU continues to be difficult, then I think it is Cincinnati and UConn. If BYU is flexible, I think our goose is cooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom