Beyond Cox or McCoy? | The Boneyard

Beyond Cox or McCoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
If neither Cox nor McCoy selects UConn, who are the remaining available posts or "bigs" who might fall into place as top recruiting targets?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If neither Cox nor McCoy selects UConn, who are the remaining available posts or "bigs" who might fall into place as top recruiting targets?
Well supposedly UCONN has looked at
Joyner Holmes - 6-3 (#2), but another TX product (i.e. do they leave TX for CT?) and haven't heard much lately about her and UCONN
Felicia Ayieotan - 6-9 (#15) heard a little about her and UCONN. Might be more of a project
Abbie Wolf - 6-3 (NR) CT girl, I guess UCONN took a look at her

Don't know if there is much interest from any of them or if there are any offers out from UCONN (haven't heard of any).

There is Jade Williams (6-3) and Kasiyahna Kushkituah (6-4) in 2017 class, and I'm sure that will expand. If Geno strikes out in the 2016 class, UCONN should still be ok if they pick up some height in 2017.

UCONN will have for the 4/5 spots
2016 - Stewart, Tuck, Butler, Boykin (Collier, Samuelson, Williams if needed)
2017 - Tuck, Butler, Boykin, Irwin (Collier, Samuelson, Williams if needed)
2018 - Butler, Boykin, Irwin (Collier, Samuelson, Williams if needed)

Which isn't too bad. Basically better off than this year
2015 - Stewart, Tuck, Stokes (Williams was needed)

Reaction Score
Good post M-7. It's easy to get caught up in the hope of "getting them all" but as you point out without either Cox or McCoy we'll still be there in the hunt for the next few years. That said I agree with the majority of Boneyarder's that Cox is going elsewhere, but McCoy..... I think she will be wearing our blue and white.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good post M-7. It's easy to get caught up in the hope of "getting them all" but as you point out without either Cox or McCoy we'll still be there in the hunt for the next few years. That said I agree with the majority of Boneyarder's that Cox is going elsewhere, but McCoy..... I think she will be wearing our blue and white.
That would be awesome.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Besides the names already mentioned for 2016 class the list would include these names formerly associated with UCONN. Since both are verbal’s they could change their minds.
Mallory McGwire- Verbal to Oregon.
Kyle Shook- Verbal to Louisville.
Next tier down would be these never associated with UCONN to the best of my knowledge.
Ruthy Hebard- 6’3”Alaskan Top 30 Overall per ProspectsNation & ranked above the two mentioned directly above.
Ciera Johnson- 6’4” Texas kid with good size and skill top true Post and top 15 Kid in 2016 per ESPN. They list McCoy & Cox as F not Post. Would she want to leave Texas?
Krystaline McCune-ranked very high circa 2013 (top 15-20) had some good performances for USA basketball trials but has fallen in ranking lately from top 20 to below 60 composite. Not sure why.
Evelyn Akhator JUCO Player of the year 6’3” - Currently holding offers from LadyVols and South Carolina all Florida schools. It is just a 2 year commitment so I like to see UCONN come in as a spoiler and scoop her away.
Teaira McCowan who is 2015 6'7" if UCONN going to have a project on the roster might as well start this year.
I agree with Meyers that UCONN will be OK but I’m greedy so I’d like to see us sign another true post 6’3”-6’5” range with size before 2017. But then I also want us to sign another Shooting Guard.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And while height is good, getting great players is better. I know times have changed but the possibly best team in Uconn history (2002) was height challenged, but definitely deep in talent. TX A&M of recent title teams was also pretty short on height :).

Gene went a little crazy in the post 2002 era trying to bring in height and perhaps lowering his standards in the process and the two stretches didn't last more than a year or contribute anything on the floor. So ... he will certainly look at others if Cox and McCoy go elsewhere, but if he doesn't see a Uconn player, he won't just offer someone tall.

Reaction Score
Besides the names already mentioned for 2016 class the list would include these names formerly associated with UCONN. Since both are verbal’s they could change their minds.
Mallory McGwire- Verbal to Oregon.
Kyle Shook- Verbal to Louisville.
Next tier down would be these never associated with UCONN to the best of my knowledge.
Ruthy Hebard- 6’3”Alaskan Top 30 Overall per ProspectsNation & ranked above the two mentioned directly above.
Ciera Johnson- 6’4” Texas kid with good size and skill top true Post and top 15 Kid in 2016 per ESPN. They list McCoy & Cox as F not Post. Would she want to leave Texas?
Krystaline McCune-ranked very high circa 2013 (top 15-20) had some good performances for USA basketball trials but has fallen in ranking lately from top 20 to below 60 composite. Not sure why.
Evelyn Akhator JUCO Player of the year 6’3” - Currently holding offers from LadyVols and South Carolina all Florida schools. It is just a 2 year commitment so I like to see UCONN come in as a spoiler and scoop her away.
Teaira McCowan who is 2015 6'7" if UCONN going to have a project on the roster might as well start this year.
I agree with Meyers that UCONN will be OK but I’m greedy so I’d like to see us sign another true post 6’3”-6’5” range with size before 2017. But then I also want us to sign another Shooting Guard.

McCowan is going to Cincinnati; big coup for Jamelle Elliott

Reaction Score

There was a flurry of excitement back in February when it was reported that
McCowan had verbaled to Cincinnati, and then it turned out that she
hadn't.

Do you have some new information? I get nothing with Google.

Reaction Score
Well supposedly UCONN has looked at
Joyner Holmes - 6-3 (#2), but another TX product (i.e. do they leave TX for CT?) and haven't heard much lately about her and UCONN
Felicia Ayieotan - 6-9 (#15) heard a little about her and UCONN. Might be more of a project
Abbie Wolf - 6-3 (NR) CT girl, I guess UCONN took a look at her

Don't know if there is much interest from any of them or if there are any offers out from UCONN (haven't heard of any).

There is Jade Williams (6-3) and Kasiyahna Kushkituah (6-4) in 2017 class, and I'm sure that will expand. If Geno strikes out in the 2016 class, UCONN should still be ok if they pick up some height in 2017.

UCONN will have for the 4/5 spots
2016 - Stewart, Tuck, Butler, Boykin (Collier, Samuelson, Williams if needed)
2017 - Tuck, Butler, Boykin, Irwin (Collier, Samuelson, Williams if needed)
2018 - Butler, Boykin, Irwin (Collier, Samuelson, Williams if needed)

Which isn't too bad. Basically better off than this year
2015 - Stewart, Tuck, Stokes (Williams was needed)
I know I've said it before and I know height isn't everything (it certainly doesn't hurt). Along with natural speed height brings a dimension you can't teach and it's hard for opponents to stop. I do think talent is very important. You can't get playing time without it, but I'm intrigued with Felicia and her potential to contribute. At 6'9" she is taller than Stokes by about the same amount as Stokes is to Chong. I've seen the videos and she is neither a tooth pick or slow and heavy. She is very athletic (can easily dunk). Look at how much Stoke helped out without providing much offense. Remember how much Thabeet helped the men's team even though he just started playing a few years earlier. Her smarts and work ethic are probably key to if Geno wants to find her a roster very important, but if she has those she maybe a player worth finding a roster spot for. Either she sits on the bench (the 12th man) and makes it harder in practice (remember Big Rig) or she blossoms and uses her size to be a force (way more athletic Kara Walters) ESPN rated her #49 but said she could be a game changer at the next level. How many times is that phrase used for a player not ranked in the top 5. As far as offense goes if she gets it near the hoop (offensive board or roll to the hoop) and keeps the ball up there is nothing a Cox or McCoy could do to prevent her from getting a clean look. Stokes with an extra 6 inches is something to consider. If she keeps growing as a player (she could still get taller) i'd rather have someone else figure out how to game plan for her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just as a reminder - probably the best three centers over the last decade were Fowles, Paris, and Griner who combine for one NC over 12 years and add in Charles and the total still only goes to 3 in 16.

Morgan who is two or three inches shorter than Stewart and probably 5 inches shorter in reach gave Stewart fits defensively in HS, and did very well against the towers of SC and Duke, and TX. Strength, smarts, and team can easily overcome height deficits in the women's game.

Now ... I would certainly have loved for Paris Fowles and Griner to all have played at Uconn and I loved having Charles on the team, but ...

Reaction Score
Just as a reminder - probably the best three centers over the last decade were Fowles, Paris, and Griner who combine for one NC over 12 years and add in Charles and the total still only goes to 3 in 16.

Morgan who is two or three inches shorter than Stewart and probably 5 inches shorter in reach gave Stewart fits defensively in HS, and did very well against the towers of SC and Duke, and TX. Strength, smarts, and team can easily overcome height deficits in the women's game.

Now ... I would certainly have loved for Paris Fowles and Griner to all have played at Uconn and I loved having Charles on the team, but ...

Totally agree, Miami. Of this year's starters, only Stewie had any legitimate height, and though she played great inside, she isn't a true post player. Yet as vertically challenged as we were, UConn did decently ;). Yup- "Strength, smarts, and team" trumps BIG. Having said that, I'd love to get a Cox or McCoy to help Morgan and Natalie combat those bigger frontcourts like SC and Baylor come tournament time next year.

Reaction Score
BTW I did a quick drive to Philly a couple months ago to see the Aiyeotan kid from N-Goretti (played limited minutes.) Man, she is really tall, really long, skinny, and as raw as you might imagine for a kid relatively new to the game. This young girl looks to be a project of biblical proportions who, in spite of her Manute Bol-ish stature, may take many years to develop into a solid D1 player, if ever. Or she might become a star. My crystal ball is out of order, but either way, she would likely be the most daunting challenge ever for the UConn coaches.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To the best of my knowledge only one service ESPN reported McCowan verbal to Cincinnati. ESPN updated McCowan status from verbal to uncommitted less than 48 hours later.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
BTW I did a quick drive to Philly a couple months ago to see the Aiyeotan kid from N-Goretti (played limited minutes.) Man, she is really tall, really long, skinny, and as raw as you might imagine for a kid relatively new to the game. This young girl looks to be a project of biblical proportions who, in spite of her Manute Bol-ish stature, may take many years to develop into a solid D1 player, if ever. Or she might become a star. My crystal ball is out of order, but either way, she would likely be the most daunting challenge ever for the UConn coaches.

I did not realize our paths may have crossed while watching Neuman-Goretti. I have seen Fee Fee play 5 times now 3 high school games and 2 at Junior Nationals with the Philly Belles. Actually I take that back 4 times, one game at Jr nationals she never came off the bench. Completely agree with your assessment. I also found it surprising how few minutes per game she actually played ( about 12 minutes). There is hope, rumor has it that she working with the Belles coaches that brought greatness out of Laura Harper and Crystal Langhorne.
In her four games I did not see any discernable skills that would make an impact at UCONN so the comparison to Thabeet (he could block some shot) is off IMO and the many points about skill outweighing height is spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom