Better Next Year? Really? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Better Next Year? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Believe me, I'm accounting for everything. I think it's others that aren't accounting for how important KMLs shooting was.
And as successful as this season was, this year's team loses to last years team. Handily at that.
So are you saying ( KML + Kiah Stokes > KLS + The Pheenom + Butler + Boykin + 1 year Growth of Nurse + 1 year Healthier Morgan Tuck + Stewie & MoJeff on a mission to be first to graduate w/4 rings )?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So are you saying ( KML + Kiah Stokes > KLS + The Pheenom + Butler + Boykin + 1 year Growth of Nurse + 1 year Healthier Morgan Tuck + Stewie & MoJeff on a mission to be first to graduate w/4 rings )?
What I am saying is that no one on next year's team will be a better shooter than KML was. KML's shooting was a major weapon for this team. Apparently an underappreciated weapon based on this thread. UConn will be the chalk, but for next years team to be better, a frosh or two will need to be great.

Reaction Score
As I've said before, Natalie is a better rebounder and shot blocker than Stef. Stef's greatest strength was her passing and leadership. As for Katie Lou, she can take people of the bounce better than Kaleena, aand as a 6'3" guard, she will be a matchup nightmare. That adds to the matchup nightmare Breanna will be with Natalie in the post. She'll be able to move around even more knowing that Natalie is the last line of defense and will clean the glass. We will have even more weapons than this year: Breanna, Moriah, Morgan, Kia, Gabby, Natalie, Katie Lou, Napheesa, De'Janae, Saniya and Courtney.

Reaction Score
Breanna will still play in the post because few, if any, can defend her. What she won't have to do is defend bigger players. Natalie will see to that, thus Breanna will be fresher throughout the year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What I am saying is that no one on next year's team will be a better shooter than KML was. KML's shooting was a major weapon for this team. Apparently an underappreciated weapon based on this thread. UConn will be the chalk, but for next years team to be better, a frosh or two will need to be great.
No, that's not true. The frosh will be more like frosting on the cake. The cake itself doesn't really need any frosting (it's that good), BUT, it gets some delicious frosting anyway to make it out of this world.

We're not gonna replace KML next year. We know that. A freshman KLS is not gonna replace a senior KML. But there's a bigger picture here. It's not about replacing KML to make next years team better. The biggest thing next year will be having Stewart and Jefferson as seniors (and Tuck as a Jr). Last years triumvirate included a Sr (who wasn't really a leader) and 2 Jr's. This coming years triumvirate will include 2 Sr's (one who is a really good leader and one who's a good leader and NPOY) and Jr who is a great leader. THERE, is where your team is going to be better. That along with 4 starters returning. Really those four and me could probably win a NC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't agree with you on that last part about a frosh will need to be great. Moriah Jefferson % wise was the best 3 PT shooter last year not KML. I don't think anyone in this thread is "underappreciating" KML Definitely not me. Just a difference in philosophy I love the three ball but at the end of the day the objective is to put points on the board. Morgan Tuck for example only put up 3 less points than KML last year 562 vs 565. So the UCONN offense is not depended on the 3 point shot IMO.

Reaction Score
Geno is a master at designing offensive flow around the strength of his players. Last year, KML at the 3 played largely on the perimeter which gave Stewie and Morgan plenty of room to work underneath. It worked great.
Next year, with Stewie at the 3 she will have the 15-18 foot option or she can go to the basket. Butler and Tuck will camp out underneath and put up nice numbers. My guess is that we score a lot more points in the paint next year and at the foul line. We will have an overall higher shooting %. but make less threes. I'm willing to bet that our offense will score at least as many points per game.
defensively, I can't see how we are not going to be better. Leadership wise(as Meyers has pointed out)....it will be unambiguous...Mo's team. It all adds up to a better team next year.

Reaction Score
Change is good.

If KML and Kiah didn't graduate this year... and next years team had the same 5 starters and same subs, they'd have a difficult time repeating. I think they'd get "stale", players stagnant in their same roles, and other teams would get more confident.

By only losing two players, while bringing in Butler and a great recruiting class, this team will get re-energized. The tremendous competition within the team for playing time over those two openings will hone this team to a fine point.

Next years team will surpass this years. But I wonder what will happen the following year when Stewie and Mo graduate?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Change is good.

If KML and Kiah didn't graduate this year... and next years team had the same 5 starters and same subs, they'd have a difficult time repeating. I think they'd get "stale", players stagnant in their same roles, and other teams would get more confident.

By only losing two players, while bringing in Butler and a great recruiting class, this team will get re-energized. The tremendous competition within the team for playing time over those two openings will hone this team to a fine point.

Next years team will surpass this years. But I wonder what will happen the following year when Stewie and Mo graduate?
I was with you when you said "Change is good." I would have said change is inevitable but no matter. You lost me hear "and next years team had the same 5 starters and same subs, they'd have a difficult time repeating". Who would beat them? I had a total depature when you said, "players stagnant in their same roles, and other teams would get more confident". If that happened, that would be a first time for a UCONN team since an Italian guy from Norristown, PA started coaching the team some 30 years ago.

Reaction Score
I was with you when you said "Change is good." I would have said change is inevitable but no matter. You lost me hear "and next years team had the same 5 starters and same subs, they'd have a difficult time repeating". Who would beat them? I had a total depature when you said, "players stagnant in their same roles, and other teams would get more confident". If that happened, that would be a first time for a UCONN team since an Italian guy from Norristown, PA started coaching the team some 30 years ago.

Yeah, you're right, I probably overplayed that "difficult time repeating" card! But I stand by the point that the team would've stagnated at times during the season and put it on auto-pilot (yes, even with Geno at the helm I've seen that happen in the past to some of his best teams). However, when tourney time came around, they admittedly would've rolled.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Or Moriah will need to take more shots (she was a better shooter than KML, but took a lot less shots.)
Or Someone will need to play better defense than KML - two sides to every game and K was not a great defender - not bad, but not great.
Or Stewart needs to shoot 40% from three instead of 31% (her worst average)
Or Morgan needs to maintain her late season three form not her early season three form
Or Kia needs to maintain her early season play and not hit the wall in January and drop 100 points off her shooting percentages
Or ...
KML was great and will be missed as will Kiah - but there are a lot of ways to win at basketball games - next years team will be different and who knows how they will win. Or if they will be 'better' than last year.
And by the way, did anyone figure out yet if the 2014 team was better or worse than the 2015 team?:rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And by the way, did anyone figure out yet if the 2014 team was better or worse than the 2015 team?:rolleyes:
I was thinking about how one would determine that.

I guess we can be fairly sure that KML would light up the scoreboard if she were defended by KML.
But how successful would Moriah be trying to drive against Moriah?
Would Stewie be able to score in the paint against Stewie? And could Stewie keep Stewie off the boards?

And based on the answers to these questions, would the 2014 or the 2015 team be favored?

If you want to talk about the matchups that actually involve different human beings, I would offer this:
  • I think Morgan could probably put up 20 to 25 points against Stef, and get Stef in foul trouble. Stef also could not run the floor with Morgan, and might only be able to play 15 to 20 minutes. Kiah would have to come in to defend Morgan, and then 2014's offense would suffer. After all, as Doris would tell us, 2015 could defend 5 against 4 (at least until Kiah came in for 2015 to give Morgan a rest).
  • When Kia Nurse guarded Bria Hartley, Kia would take away her penetration and would make her hit jump shots. If Bria were having a good shooting night (a very hit-or-miss proposition), she might score 20 on pull-up jump shots from the free throw line. But I doubt that Bria would get any steals against Kia, and Kia would defend Bria very well in transition. Kia probably wouldn't score too many points on the offensive end, however.
On the whole, I would give the 2015 editions of Stewie and especially the post-Christmas Moriah a distinct advantage over their 2014 incarnations, and therefore would give the edge to the 2015 team.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I was thinking about how one would determine that.

I guess we can be fairly sure that KML would light up the scoreboard if she were defended by KML.
But how successful would Moriah be trying to drive against Moriah?
Would Stewie be able to score in the paint against Stewie? And could Stewie keep Stewie off the boards?

And based on the answers to these questions, would the 2014 or the 2015 team be favored?

If you want to talk about the matchups that actually involve different human beings, I would offer this:
  • I think Morgan could probably put up 20 to 25 points against Stef, and get Stef in foul trouble. Stef also could not run the floor with Morgan, and might only be able to play 15 to 20 minutes. Kiah would have to come in to defend Morgan, and then 2014's offense would suffer. After all, as Doris would tell us, 2015 could defend 5 against 4 (at least until Kiah came in for 2015 to give Morgan a rest).
  • When Kia Nurse guarded Bria Hartley, Kia would take away her penetration and would make her hit jump shots. If Bria were having a good shooting night (a very hit-or-miss proposition), she might score 20 on pull-up jump shots from the free throw line. But I doubt that Bria would get any steals against Kia, and Kia would defend Bria very well in transition. Kia probably wouldn't score too many points on the offensive end, however.
On the whole, I would give the 2015 editions of Stewie and especially the post-Christmas Moriah a distinct advantage over their 2014 incarnations, and therefore would give the edge to the 2015 team.

Good one! :p

But Morgan dropping 25 on Stef? Against the National Defensive Player of the Year?

Surely you jest!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
No, that's not true. The frosh will be more like frosting on the cake. The cake itself doesn't really need any frosting (it's that good), BUT, it gets some delicious frosting anyway to make it out of this world.

We're not gonna replace KML next year. We know that. A freshman KLS is not gonna replace a senior KML. But there's a bigger picture here. It's not about replacing KML to make next years team better. The biggest thing next year will be having Stewart and Jefferson as seniors (and Tuck as a Jr). Last years triumvirate included a Sr (who wasn't really a leader) and 2 Jr's. This coming years triumvirate will include 2 Sr's (one who is a really good leader and one who's a good leader and NPOY) and Jr who is a great leader. THERE, is where your team is going to be better. That along with 4 starters returning. Really those four and me could probably win a NC.
Classic! Again! :)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
OK, so to conclude this rather long thread, I propose its title be changed to, "Better next year! Really!"
Good one! :p

But Morgan dropping 25 on Stef? Against the National Defensive Player of the Year?

Surely you jest!
She was the Nat Defensive Player of the Year? Really?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Obviously the guy is just kidding. Especially after the egg she laid in the final. Randy Smith said it best years ago. How should you judge a player in this game? By how they played against the varsity or how they played against the JV?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I did, the 2014 was clearly better. They didn't lose during the year. They didn't struggle against a Dayton. And they blew out a superior ND team in the finals. Not even close.

Reaction Score
Waquoit are you referring to Randy Smith of the NBA (Buffalo, San Diego, eventually the Knicks)?

Reaction Score
Waquoit are you referring to Randy Smith of the NBA (Buffalo, San Diego, eventually the Knicks)?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I did, the 2014 was clearly better. They didn't lose during the year. They didn't struggle against a Dayton. And they blew out a superior ND team in the finals. Not even close.
Yeah but they only beat ND because Achonwa was out!!! :eek::rolleyes::cool::) And wasn't that the team in 2014 that struggled against BYU and Texas A&M!!!:eek: I demand a recount!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not the guy who ran Keney Golf Course, a longtime local sports columnist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom