Better Next Year? Really? | The Boneyard

Better Next Year? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Okay, with NC 10 done and properly celebrated, we are left to wonder. What is the likelihood of UConn being even better next year? Are we perhaps over-estimating the skillset/contributions of the incoming freshmen? Are we under-appraising the losses due to graduation? Quite aside from the rise or fall of the competition, which is an overload of variables, how does a team that has won two NC's become demonstrably better in 2015-16?

My inquiry is prompted by D's comment, "You'd better get them this year..."

Reaction Score
The optimistic view is that with additional growth by Stewie, Mo and Tuck, the addition of a Dolson clone in Butler, the outside shooting of KLS to replace K's shooting, the amazing skill set of Collier and hard working Boykin, not to mention Gaby, Kia, Chong and Ekmark who we all expect to be better next season, should make UConn even better than this last season. A lot of things can happen that can change it (injuries, lack of chemistry, slow transition to the college game by the fr., etc) but as things are looking so far, the optimism seems justified.

Reaction Score
Morgan can probably replace Kaleena's passing and cold shift a bit to the high post which she does from time to time anyway. K's 3 point shooting will be missed considering how automatic she was and without her it will make us more of a normal team. However, we do have many players who can shoot threes. Kia will be missed off the bench but Geno will figure out how to rotate players to make things work. He does not seem to need a template for players and is very good at using what he has.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This past year was a huge transition for the team from the Dolson/Hartley led teams of the previous two years both on the court and in terms of leadership. I don't want to diminish what Kaleena and Kiah gave this past year, but in comparison to the previous year, the losses this year are 'easier' to replace. Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck have already had to step up their leadership so being THE leadership of next years team is not as challenging. I expect next year to have the same 'freshman' issues that always exist with new members of the team, but not to have the same struggles for the returning players that led to tears on the platform after the NC this year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Think there is more overall talent on the roster, but seven underclassmen. By the latter part of the season the team could be close to unbeatable. Geno basically went with six players late this year. With fortunate development, this squad's top 8 could be as good as any 8 ever.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We have a few fairly good players on this team with 3 NCs under their belts and they are still hungry... and then there are those with one or two... I like where we are sitting.

HGN

Reaction Score
DT made an insightful statement.....One thats echoed by many in the BY. I think what DT was saying is that she feels you better beat UConn and Stewie this year , because a focused Stewie and Gang are going to be on a mission next year. Stewie , Morgan , and MoJeff will be going for their record setting 4th NC in a row. Though the loss of KML and Kiah is huge , DT observes that the leap in skills and experience of the returning players will make up for it. Not to mention the skills being added by the incoming freshmen and the 6'5 Natalie Butler.

So , yes , they really could be better next year.....Really.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, sir, the question really is not "will we be better", but "will we be good enough to go wire to wire leaving shattered debris in our wake"? TonyC and I say,"Yeah, bo!"

Reaction Score
It takes time for even the best of freshman to adjust to the college game. (remember Stewie and Mo's first year). Butler's transition, with having played one year with GT and practicing another full year with the Huskies, should go much more smoothly. We will miss KML's outside shooting, probably a lot especially during the first part of the season. If Gabby starts in KML's place, we could make up some what we lose on the offensive end with improved defense and rebounding. I don't expect KLS to replace KML right off the bat but she was a great 3 point shooter in HS and won numerous player of the year awards. KLS' chance of duplicating much of what KML brought to the team by the end of the year is viable. Napheesa Collier, what can I say. She has been very impressive playing in international competition and at the All Star games against the best domestic high school players. She seems to be the most UConn ready of the freshman. She has the demeanor of Nurse only even more talented. Great rebounder, efficient fg shooter, 80% foul shooter, tough one on one defender, she does it all. (and like Gabby, she also ran track in HS).
I didn't include Butler in the starting lineup, though I think she is the best prepared, because I just have a hunch that Geno will want more stability coming off the bench. If Butler starts we have Gabby, Saniya, Ekmark and the freshman as subs. It's just my feeling that Geno will have one of Stewie, Tuck or Butler coming in off the bench. And that means Butler.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DT made an insightful statement.....One thats echoed by many in the BY. I think what DT was saying is that she feels you better beat UConn and Stewie this year , because a focused Stewie and Gang are going to be on a mission next year. Stewie , Morgan , and MoJeff will be going for their record setting 4th NC in a row. Though the loss of KML and Kiah is huge , DT observes that the leap in skills and experience of the returning players will make up for it. Not to mention the skills being added by the incoming freshmen and the 6'5 Natalie Butler.

So , yes , they really could be better next year.....Really.

Yes, but, then again, everyone else will be on a mission to stop then...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It takes time for even the best of freshman to adjust to the college game. (remember Stewie and Mo's first year). Butler's transition, with having played one year with GT and practicing another full year with the Huskies, should go much more smoothly. We will miss KML's outside shooting, probably a lot especially during the first part of the season. If Gabby starts in KML's place, we could make up some what we lose on the offensive end with improved defense and rebounding. I don't expect KLS to replace KML right off the bat but she was a great 3 point shooter in HS and won numerous player of the year awards. KLS' chance of duplicating much of what KML brought to the team by the end of the year is viable. Napheesa Collier, what can I say. She has been very impressive playing in international competition and at the All Star games against the best domestic high school players. She seems to be the most UConn ready of the freshman. She has the demeanor of Nurse only even more talented. Great rebounder, efficient fg shooter, 80% foul shooter, tough one on one defender, she does it all. (and like Gabby, she also ran track in HS).
I didn't include Butler in the starting lineup, though I think she is the best prepared, because I just have a hunch that Geno will want more stability coming off the bench. If Butler starts we have Gabby, Saniya, Ekmark and the freshman as subs. It's just my feeling that Geno will have one of Stewie, Tuck or Butler coming in off the bench. And that means Butler.
Interesting take on the bench and Butler - I tend to disagree - he likes 'change' and 'offensive punch' or 'intensity' first off the bench - and that could come from Williams, Chong, Ekmark, or any of the freshman. I think Stewart and Tuck rotating between the 3 and 4 with a true center in Butler and the 'best backcourt' in the nation in Nurse and Jefferson is frightening to contemplate (or glorious) and a bench of the returnees plus three super frosh will be daunting to any and all 'comers'.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The team will be better…Much better

Work ethic problems from last year…solved, check.
Competition for playing time…plenty, check

The three senior amigos (let's count Morgan as a senior) are without peer
will be more confident and refined (hard to believe)
The equivilent of uutstanding professionals in their senior year.

Of the newbies: Butler and Collier seem most ready to go…amazing skills, temprement and ability
And then there's everyone else…perhaps a top-ten team in itself.

KLS, Gabby, Kia, Chong Ekmark, Boykin could beat most teams…maybe not first 5, but after that???

Reaction Score
The team will be better…Much better

Work ethic problems from last year…solved, check.
Competition for playing time…plenty, check

The three senior amigos (let's count Morgan as a senior) are without peer
will be more confident and refined (hard to believe)
The equivilent of uutstanding professionals in their senior year.

Of the newbies: Butler and Collier seem most ready to go…amazing skills, temprement and ability
And then there's everyone else…perhaps a top-ten team in itself.

KLS, Gabby, Kia, Chong Ekmark, Boykin could beat most teams…maybe not first 5, but after that???
I gues if KLS is "everybody else"' then we should be pretty good

Reaction Score
Going to be interesting in a good way. It think a very good way. Even without the frosh Geno will be able to have a lot of different looks. Remember the Kara-Rebecca days with two post players. I can see Natalie at high post and Morgan down low.
That is just one look.

I also don't expect KLS just to walk in and replace a Sr. KLM, but I think she will can better, possibly by the end of the year. Taller, longer arms, broke KLM's scoring record at Matre Dei while being double and tripled teamed all year.

Defense is always the big question for newbies, but all 3 are fast and athletic. If they can survive practice they will learn how to play D.

Can't wait.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't know if the team has to be better. The team could easily be just as good and be overwhelming favorites to defend the NC in the process.

All is know is you have a great chance when you have the best PG in the land and the best overall player, period. The team returns four starters, adds exactly the player it didn't have in Natalie Butler, adds a stellar recruiting class, and gives other rising sophomores and juniors the opportunity to take further leaps forward.

The Huskies will have an identity, even in losing two more WNBA first rounders. Its not like losing Bris and Stef. We should never downplay the departures of graduating seniors, but I think this group *still* learned its lesson from a year ago before the Stanford loss.

And in the interim, I'm still ecstatic about the three-peat and the NC. These are the good times. Enjoy them.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't know if the team has to be better. The team could easily be just as good and be overwhelming favorites to defend the NC in the process.

All is know is you have a great chance when you have the best PG in the land and the best overall player, period. The team returns four starters, adds exactly the player it didn't have in Natalie Butler, adds a stellar recruiting class, and gives other rising sophomores and juniors the opportunity to take further leaps forward.

The Huskies will have an identity, even in losing two more WNBA first rounders. Its not like losing Bris and Stef. We should never downplay the departures of graduating seniors, but I think this group *still* learned its lesson from a year ago before the Stanford loss.

And in the interim, I'm still ecstatic about the three-peat and the NC. These are the good times. Enjoy them.

Keen point. Much was made of this team's inability to guard on the perimeter. It was relatively weak in that regard compared to championship caliber teams. But its biggest vulnerability was in the post. A team with a dominant center would have given this UCONN team a lot of trouble. Geno made the point back at the 1995 team reunion when comparing that team with this year's, that this year's team would have "no answer" for Kara Wolters (most teams wouldn't, of course). We might add Ruth Riley, Tina Charles, Sylvia Fowles, maybe Jane Appel, and of course, Brittney Griner.

Fortunately for UCONN, no such animal existed this year. With Butler on board next year, I see no reason to fear anybody.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Keen point. Much was made of this team's inability to guard on the perimeter. It was relatively weak in that regard compared to championship caliber teams. But its biggest vulnerability was in the post. A team with a dominant center would have given this UCONN team a lot of trouble. Geno made the point back at the 1995 team reunion when comparing that team with this year's, that this year's team would have "no answer" for Kara Wolters (most teams wouldn't, of course). We might add Ruth Riley, Tina Charles, Sylvia Fowles, maybe Jane Appel, and of course, Brittney Griner.

Fortunately for UCONN, no such animal existed this year. With Butler on board next year, I see no reason to fear anybody.
I think Kia may have something to say about this. She would have created problems for any of those you mentioned.

Reaction Score
They will certainly be deeper next year. It's not easy to replace the leading 3 point shooter in womens ncaa history, but the rotation may be longer then we have seen in a while.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
This past year was a huge transition for the team from the Dolson/Hartley led teams of the previous two years both on the court and in terms of leadership. I don't want to diminish what Kaleena and Kiah gave this past year, but in comparison to the previous year, the losses this year are 'easier' to replace. Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck have already had to step up their leadership so being THE leadership of next years team is not as challenging. I expect next year to have the same 'freshman' issues that always exist with new members of the team, but not to have the same struggles for the returning players that led to tears on the platform after the NC this year.
Nail on the head Uc- we have a better shot at being better next year than this year's team had of being better than the prior year.

Reaction Score
IMO we will be a better team by the end of next season, assuming Butler meets expectations, and we will be undefeated...bet the ranch on it. Yes we lose KML whose presence allowed us to spread the floor which opened space for Stewie and Tuck. However, KML probably was an average defender, was not a presence on the boards and while helpful as a trailer in the transition game she seldom led a break.
Fast forward to next year and we will see a different offensive flow more focused on the inside game. IMO, we will have the best inside game in the nation by far and will beat the bigger teams easily. Furthermore, with Stewie probably playing the 3 defensively, we will have a much faster set of legs added to the transition game with a lot of 3 on 2s and 3 on ones. How would you like to be on the receiving end of a Stewie, Mo, Nurse fast break?
Add to that the athleticism of our subs and it will be a relentless and entertaining 40 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom