Better Call Saul | The Boneyard

Better Call Saul

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed the first two episodes and think it will be a great show, thoughts?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
liked the tuco inclusion. not sure how to gauge it right now. too soon.

Reaction Score
Never watched Breaking Bad, but I know the landscape so I don't think I missed too much. But I think the show is off to a strong start.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I had yet to watch breaking bad until I got Netflix for the family for Christmas. I binged watched all 5 seasons over the last month and it's still fresh in my mind.

Saul has been great so far. I love the BB Easter eggs and foreshadowing (tuco getting in nodoze's face after he interrupted).

It will be interesting to see how the new characters develop. And any time they bring in BB cameos will be a major bonus.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Breaking Bad was not as good as Sopranos or Mad Men, but it was pretty awesome nonetheless. I look forward to this show. Reviews have been amazing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I thought both episodes were very entertaining - the negotiation in the desert was great. Very clever how they set the stage for Jimmy McGill to become Saul Goodman.

These kids know how to put on a tv show.

Reaction Score
Very good so far, it's got a lot of similar breaking bad elements. The strange camera angles (Saul at Cinabon, Tuco making Salsa) As well as cool time lapses (Saul going through his court cases) similar to Crystal Blue Persuasion

Reaction Score
Geez, guess I am in the minority. I'm a huge BBad fan and was possibly over excited for BCSaul as I have no current series in the rotation. I found the first episodes kind of boring. Knowing he's not going to die takes the edge off any life or death situations*. And the whole 'I don't have any money' struggle is kind of a bummer. Interest so far is only the Mike meet cutes and the interaction with "Lenny" who is definitely an original character. Is this the longest period between stints as a series regular in TV history?!

*I would like it if they eventually run parallel story lines with the present day Saul working at Cinnabun, but that's doubtful and would also further water down the current narrative in the exact way I'm nitpicking. So nevermind! ;)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My Breaking Bad Binge slowed around the beginning of season 3. I know generally what happened in Seasons 4 and 5 and we all know what happened to end the series, but I have to admit, I don't know all the minutiae of the show. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes of BCS. Watched the Monday airings off DVR last night.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Geez, guess I am in the minority. I'm a huge BBad fan and was possibly over excite;)d for BCSaul as I have no current series in the rotation. I found the first episodes kind of boring.

I don't think you like television.

Have you considered reading more?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Very good so far, it's got a lot of similar breaking bad elements. The strange camera angles (Saul at Cinabon, Tuco making Salsa) As well as cool time lapses (Saul going through his court cases) similar to Crystal Blue Persuasion

That "time lapse" was a direct reference to All That Jazz. And well done, at that.

Reaction Score
I don't think you like television.

Have you considered reading more?
Why did Phinneas have to die in "A Separate Peace"? Otherwise I loved that story but that was a grim seemingly unnecessary robbing of my youth. Perhaps I'm still bitter and airing my petty hypercritical grievances here is a bit of a bummer.
I do think Cormac McCarthy is Infallible, yet I also enjoy watching the purely and acceptably ridiculous Bachelor with the wife. I suppose I could ease of the joy killing throttle a tad

Reaction Score
It feels oddly comforting to be back in ABQ. I'm enjoying the show.

Reaction Score
Episode 3 has me roped in, very interested in the embezzlers plot, who the girl is and how Lenny got to be so nuts. Heard an interview with Odenkirk and he said if you think the first 3 episodes are good, wait until you get to later in the season = everything starts tying together in cool & interesting fashion.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was half asleep during the first episode. Like a dumb bass I was hooked on the second episode. Like the show a lot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That "time lapse" was a direct reference to All That Jazz. And well done, at that.

I loved that part. They even had Vivaldi's Concerto in G playing in the background. And then he says "It's from a movie."

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Breaking Bad is my top drama (though I admittedly have missed out on some key premium cable series). As such, I tried to temper expectations for Better Call Saul just because Breaking Bad is an impossibly high standard.

The first 3 episodes have been great. They feel very Breaking Bad like in terms of direction and acting but at the same time there are enough nuanced differences to make it stand alone as it's own show so far.

Big fan of Nacho in limited screen time so far. I'm interested to see how he helps Jimmy become Saul.

Semi spoiler alert but Nacho was actually referenced in Breaking Bad. You can draw your own conclusions for what it implies about how he factors into the new series based on the link below.

http://goo.gl/esUlEs

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This has definitely met expectations. Four episodes in, the writing has been consistently up to the standard set by BB. These kinds of shows are like craft beer compared to the diet soda of reality shows and sitcoms that are still on TV...

Reaction Score
Yes, they are really starting to weave a masterpiece now (after 5 episodes) SPOILER ALERT tying in slipping Jimmy and the Chuck electro-allergy and now setting up Mike phase II. Just good TV.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, they are really starting to weave a masterpiece now (after 5 episodes) SPOILER ALERT tying in slipping Jimmy and the Chuck electro-allergy and now setting up Mike phase II. Just good TV.
I'm having a bit of trouble with the Chuck storyline. Starting to annoy me. I just can't stand people who give a about what people think of them. I could see maybe a child or a parent, but a brother? One who's as nuts as Chuck? Stupid. Tell him he's nuts, lock him up and move on.

Reaction Score
Already my favorite show on TV, Odenkirk is brilliant in his role.

Reaction Score
I'm having a bit of trouble with the Chuck storyline. Starting to annoy me. I just can't stand people who give a about what people think of them. I could see maybe a child or a parent, but a brother? One who's as nuts as Chuck? Stupid. Tell him he's nuts, lock him up and move on.
I don't think the Chuck thing in the present tense is motivated by Jimmy worrying about what Chuck thinks about him. And certainly the people at the law firm know the full extent of Chuck's psychosis and are milking it, so I don't see any mental illness stigma concerns at play for Jimmy, he simply doesn't want to hurt his brother and make his brother's life worse.

Yes Jimmy hid the newspaper because he knew that Chuck's illness/psychosis is exacerbated or entirely based on guilt/complicity/etc.. with Slipping Jimmy's immoral conduct. But tough to judge how much Jimmy owes Chuck and can/should keep enable him until we know exactly what from and how Chuck saved Jimmy. Plus you can make the case that Chuck is simply irreversibly nuts (Jimmy said in epi 5 that they'd tried every expert and certainly from the firm it appears they'd have the $$ to do so), so why put him in a home forever if Jimmy can provide Chuck a stable much more pleasurable existence?

I think the basic conflict they've setup is Jimmy is clearly of questionable moral character and he's trying to calibrate the best personal, societal, economic and Chuck-based settings for his legal career. Chuck is a useful moral compass for Jimmy in this regard and also a source of legal knowledge. Jimmy's talents on the other hand are obviously more towards figuring out angles and walking the lines of morality (he has some) and legality (he has almost none). When Jimmy tries to walk the straight and narrow it doesn't work as it doesn't best utilize his unique skillset. But when he veers too far into fraud (skateboarders) it backfires. The billboard hero setup was almost a perfectly calibrated stretch of standards (justified by bully Law Firm) and yet it still resulted in a bunch of wack-job clients. So Jimmy steers back into morality with helping the elderly even though sometimes that is collecting chump change for allocating useless inanimate symbols of the utter fruitless of it all. Further calibration needed

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think the Chuck thing in the present tense is motivated by Jimmy worrying about what Chuck thinks about him. And certainly the people at the law firm know the full extent of Chuck's psychosis and are milking it, so I don't see any mental illness stigma concerns at play for Jimmy, he simply doesn't want to hurt his brother and make his brother's life worse.

Yes Jimmy hid the newspaper because he knew that Chuck's illness/psychosis is exacerbated or entirely based on guilt/complicity/etc.. with Slipping Jimmy's immoral conduct. But tough to judge how much Jimmy owes Chuck and can/should keep enable him until we know exactly what from and how Chuck saved Jimmy. Plus you can make the case that Chuck is simply irreversibly nuts (Jimmy said in epi 5 that they'd tried every expert and certainly from the firm it appears they'd have the $$ to do so), so why put him in a home forever if Jimmy can provide Chuck a stable much more pleasurable existence?

I think the basic conflict they've setup is Jimmy is clearly of questionable moral character and he's trying to calibrate the best personal, societal, economic and Chuck-based settings for his legal career. Chuck is a useful moral compass for Jimmy in this regard and also a source of legal knowledge. Jimmy's talents on the other hand are obviously more towards figuring out angles and walking the lines of morality (he has some) and legality (he has almost none). When Jimmy tries to walk the straight and narrow it doesn't work as it doesn't best utilize his unique skillset. But when he veers too far into fraud (skateboarders) it backfires. The billboard hero setup was almost a perfectly calibrated stretch of standards (justified by bully Law Firm) and yet it still resulted in a bunch of wack-job clients. So Jimmy steers back into morality with helping the elderly even though sometimes that is collecting chump change for allocating useless inanimate symbols of the utter fruitless of it all. Further calibration needed
All that may be true. It's just annoying to me. Makes it much harder to watch.

Reaction Score
I loved Breaking Bad and I love Odenkirk. I think it's way to early to say the show is great. I've been a little bored. I think it will get great eventually, but I'm hoping it's sooner than later. I just don't feel really invested in any character, and am perhaps too antsy with my desire to see Jimmy become Saul.

Reaction Score
I loved Breaking Bad and I love Odenkirk. I think it's way to early to say the show is great. I've been a little bored. I think it will get great eventually, but I'm hoping it's sooner than later. I just don't feel really invested in any character, and am perhaps too antsy with my desire to see Jimmy become Saul.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom