UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
Happy to announce that my son Chris Winkel committed to UConn and Coach Penders tonight. He is a 6'4" First Baseman who started for State Champion Amity HS in Woodbridge this year. It is anticipated that he will also be able to play can also play n also play OF).
He is a 2016 graduate
Congrats Raisinhuskies. Looks like he is a big boy with a couple of years yet to still grow. Look forward to seeing him play.

Reaction Score
Happy to announce that my son Chris Winkel committed to UConn and Coach Penders tonight. He is a 6'4" First Baseman who started for State Champion Amity HS in Woodbridge this year. It is anticipated that he will also be able to play can also play n also play OF).
He is a 2016 graduate

Congrats to you and yours. Coach Coppola has that pipeline to UConn flowing!

Reaction Score
He is a 2016 graduate

Now this is a great way to find out about a commitment, straight from the family.

Reaction Score
The image of Pender's is changing. Been talking to some travel coaches and how their former players have been treated. The word is spreading through to ther rest of the travel teams. Every year players are being told their scholarships are being cut so they can pursue and offer more to others. They are being told they haven't lived up to expectations. Promises are being broken to players. Current players have little or no respect for coaches. It's a shame. I realize they want to have the best team possible, but they are not North Carolina or Texas. They can't continue to treat their players that way. I guess the athletic department has been made aware of some issues. Assume they have been called on carpet to answer to those items. We will see. Interesting to see each year more and more players not returning who were highly touted. I wonder who will be missing from this year's team...
base2014 I think your way misinformed about Coach Penders. As a father of a son who plays for penders I can tell you that he has been true to his word. He told my son everything he expected out of him, good grades, no drinking or drugs and on and on. The Ncaa only allows 11.7 scholarships for the baseball program, which doesn't give coach much leeway, so if you don't keep up your end of the bargin then you lose the money and that is no matter what school you go to. The season is short and the coach cant wait for a player to get going 3 or 4 weeks into the season. The money is tight and their is not enough to go around. You might only be getting one side of the story, but until Coach Penders goes back on his word with my son I am A PENDERS GUY> GO UCONN

Reaction Score
Nick Chiseri.‏@Nicko_Chiseri 30m30 minutes ago
Im proud to announce my verbal commitment to be a UCONN Huskie Thanks to everyone whose helped me along the way!

2016 Commit - 5-11 190lb Lefty from Voorheesville NY.

Top 10 Prep Prospect out of NY (#7)
http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/NY/TOP-0593261874

Nick Chiseri, LHP, Voorheesville HS, NY (2016)
Chiseri stands 5-foot-11, 190-pounds with a stocky average build. On the mound he works fast over the rubber, clean arm action, fastball 84-88 mph from the left side. Sweeping curveball, lefty vs lefty out pitch, next level changeup with fastball arm speed. A big off season in the weight room would only make his stock climb. Some offers on the table already, fun prospect to watch this spring.

Reaction Score
Nick Chiseri.‏@Nicko_Chiseri 30m30 minutes ago
Im proud to announce my verbal commitment to be a UCONN Huskie Thanks to everyone whose helped me along the way!

2016 Commit - 5-11 190lb Lefty from Voorheesville NY.

Top 10 Prep Prospect out of NY (#7)
http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/NY/TOP-0593261874

Nick Chiseri, LHP, Voorheesville HS, NY (2016)
Chiseri stands 5-foot-11, 190-pounds with a stocky average build. On the mound he works fast over the rubber, clean arm action, fastball 84-88 mph from the left side. Sweeping curveball, lefty vs lefty out pitch, next level changeup with fastball arm speed. A big off season in the weight room would only make his stock climb. Some offers on the table already, fun prospect to watch this spring.

Check out that website again. According to their list of 2016 players, Anthony Prato, a shortstop from Poly Prep Country Day has also committed to UConn. He's number 5 on the list. I don't recall him being reported on before.

Reaction Score
Check out that website again. According to their list of 2016 players, Anthony Prato, a shortstop from Poly Prep Country Day has also committed to UConn. He's number 5 on the list. I don't recall him being reported on before.

Ha... Me neither. It's all timing. It wasn't there when I posted the OP.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Poly prep is also the school where Andrew Zapata attended.
BTW, Zapata's brother, Matt, was on the fall roster. Others on the fall roster we know little of are:
Alex LeFevre a catcher
Troy Stefansky
John Russell from Glastonbury
Kyle Waldron
Andrew Reel
Jason D'andrea
Connor Buckley 3b & 1b from Stonington and Avery Point
Other than Buckley, I don't know if any of these guys will make the spring roster. Any further info on these guys would be appreciated.

Reaction Score
BTW, Zapata's brother, Matt, was on the fall roster. Others on the fall roster we know little of are:
Alex LeFevre a catcher
Troy Stefansky
Kyle Waldron
Andrew Reel
Jason D'andrea
Other than Buckley, I don't know if any of these guys will make the spring roster. Any further info on these guys would be appreciated.

Alex LeFevre also played baseball at Avery Point.

Reaction Score
Alex LeFevre a catcher
Troy Stefansky
Kyle Waldron
Andrew Reel
Jason D'andrea
Kyle Waldron is a P out of Cheshire HS who played 3b/P in HS and during summers for the Cheshire Legion team. He was the wining pitcher for Cheshire this summer when they captured the American legion state championship. He's a big kid (6-5 200 plus) who was noticed by the coaching staff during the summer Legion season.

Reaction Score
New commit - Randy Polonia SS / P from Trinity Catholic in Stamford.
Was FCIAC player of the year in 2014 as a junior. Was also 1st team All-fciac this year in football . Fantastic athlete!!!

Reaction Score
Article on 2016 Commit Anthony Prato from Poly Prep Country Day in NY

http://highschoolsports.silive.com/news/article/-1535114107114385746/prato-uconn/

>>They lined up early for Anthony Prato. The Poly Prep junior shortstop, a Prince’s Bay resident, had scholarship offers from every major college baseball program in the Northeast – St. John’s, Seton Hall, Boston College, Rutgers and Connecticut.

National suitors were also inquiring – Michigan and Kentucky primarily – but Prato didn’t want to go too far from home, so every option he needed was already available to him. With nearly a year to go before he can sign a national letter of intent, Prato has given a verbal commitment to UConn.<<

That makes two from this list (Prato #5 and Chiseri #7) http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/NY/TOP-0593261874

Reaction Score
The Day of New London reports that Avery Point's Roger Bidwell announced that 12 of his graduating players will continue their careers at either Division I or Division II colleges next season, including three who will play for UConn. These UConn bound players are pitchers Doug Domnarski and John Russell, and outfielder/infielder Izzy Davila. Davila made the all tournament team for the NJCAA Division II World Series as the designated hitter.

http://www.theday.com/college-sport...a-hinckley-made-world-series-all-tourney-team

Domnarski has been committed for some time now to play at UConn next season. I believe John Russell was on the 2014 fall baseball roster at UConn, but ended up at Avery Point after not making the 35 man Husky squad for this past season. I'm not sure if this report in The Day is totally correct, as Russell is listed as a Freshman on the Avery Point roster, so I'm not sure if he is actually graduating. Because of this, I wonder if Russell might show up in Storrs for the 2017 season instead of the 2016 season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom