Baseball Opening Weekend @ FAU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baseball Opening Weekend @ FAU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that. Tabakman pitching a good game but started to lose it with control in the 6th. Need new pitcher to sart 7th. Would like to see Zapata.

I believe the WHUS crew said that Zapata was warming up in the 6th.

Reaction Score
Zapata coming in to pitch the bottom of the 7th. 3-0 lead for UConn.

Reaction Score
Davey getting picked off 2nd by the catcher on a walk. Absolute inning killer. When will we stop killing ourselves on the base paths. 11 left on base so far.

Reaction Score
Davey getting picked off 2nd by the catcher on a walk. Absolute inning killer. When will we stop killing ourselves on the base paths. 11 left on base so far.

Sundberg got picked off earlier...

I have no problem w/ them being aggressive but understand it cuts both ways.

Reaction Score
Zapata gives up a bases loaded walk in the 7th. Penders is taking him out. Max Slade is coming in.

Reaction Score
Unreal, gets the first two guys out on 4 pitches then the inning comes unglued. Slade also comes in and can't get the job done. Now all the missed opportunities on offense come back to hurt. This team never makes anything easy.

Reaction Score
You never know what you are getting from Max Slade. Sometimes he has good days, sometimes bad. Today was a bad one. Trevor Holmes comes in.

Reaction Score
Short leash on Zapata. I know it was bases loaded but there were 2 out. Slade was totally ineffective. Another meltdown.

Reaction Score
Unreal, gets the first two guys out on 4 pitches then the inning comes unglued. Slade also comes in and can't get the job done. Now all the missed opportunities on offense come back to hurt. This team never makes anything easy.

You better get your anxiety meds doses increased it's only the first weekend ;):D

Reaction Score
Holmes gets a strike out to get out of the inning.

I've had the feeling for a while that Zapata is much more effective as a starter than in relief. He needed to come out when he did (my wife, a big baseball fan was absolutely screaming for it). At any rate, I'm sure Zapata will get more relief chances before the midweek games kick in.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what is up with Olmstead? He was a high draft pick, they redshirted him last year but surprised we are not seeing him yet considering the production we are getting from Testani and Griffin hasn't been there.

Reaction Score
In top of 9th, McDowell doubles, then Daniello drives him in. UConn up by one, Devin Over comes in to pitch.

Reaction Score
Take the lead on a hit by Daniello 4-3. Bottom of 9th already an infield hit and a walk by Over. Why can't our pitchers throw strikes, even when they are going to give us an out on an attempted sac?

Reaction Score
02.jpg

Reaction Score
Wow, just wow. Tie game and they haven't hit the ball out of the infield. We are just 3 games into this season and this core of players are making the same mistakes as previous years and gives me no reason to believe that this season will be any better.
Game over.
Too many strikeouts by hitters
Too many men left on base
Boneheaded base running mistakes
Pitchers who are experienced can't throw strikes, walking way too many batters.
Can't get an out when the other team is handing you one on sac bunt attempts.

New year same story. Very frustrating following this team. Continue to give games away.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Very disappointed with the two blown leads. Especially when one of the team's biggest leaders in Tabakman gave it his all. I am definitely concerned about the pen as long as Ruotolo isn't pitching in the late innings. Let's hope this was a one-time occurence, because as much as I like Devin Over, he is not closer material.

Reaction Score
It's just unbelievable, Over is an experienced pitcher and to walk a guy trying to sacrifice, then on another sac attempt can't get the guy at 3rd to load them up. Walk in the tying run before the hit to win it. Especially after the offense finally gets a clutch 2 out hit to take the lead.

Oh well, same old story and I'll be at it again next week for more excruciation.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a LONG season. After football and basketball we should be used to a long season. Offense is gonna struggle to score, defense is suspect and bullpen gags leads.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what is up with Olmstead? He was a high draft pick, they redshirted him last year but surprised we are not seeing him yet considering the production we are getting from Testani and Griffin hasn't been there.

WHUS reported that Olmstead did not make the trip.

Reaction Score
Guessing both teams aren't in mid season form yet - :)

>>Moving Backward: Another year, another set of FAU base running mistakes. After making three critical mistakes on Saturday, the Owls made another on Sunday when Brett Lashley walked off first only to be tagged out by the first baseman, who hadn't yet thrown the ball back to the pitcher following a pickoff attempt.<<

Reaction Score
Guessing both teams aren't in mid season form yet - :)

>>Moving Backward: Another year, another set of FAU base running mistakes. After making three critical mistakes on Saturday, the Owls made another on Sunday when Brett Lashley walked off first only to be tagged out by the first baseman, who hadn't yet thrown the ball back to the pitcher following a pickoff attempt.<<

Yes, it sounds like college baseball to me.

Reaction Score
Assuming Ruotolo is back next weekend, that helps out the bullpen quite a bit right there. I'm sure he would have seen 9th inning action in today's game at the very least, and might have come in earlier than that. Trevor Holmes had a good outing out of the pen today, so hopefully Friday night was an anomaly for him.

Deroche-Duffin has started off quite well at the bat. No doubt he will be penciled into the DH spot on a regular basis for the time being.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Yes, it sounds like college baseball to me.
I always have to remind myself of this. You are able to watch a ton of college basketball on TV so you don't expect every open shot to go in like you would in the NBA because you just see that the college kids fail far more often. When you only follow a few college baseball games per week and it's just one team, it's easy to forget that errors in the field and on the basepaths are far more common.

Granted UConn does seem to have more trouble with these things than other teams but it's not as if every other team is playing mistake free baseball. Outside of the Top 25 this is basically what college baseball looks like. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom