Baseball Home Opener Series - UConn vs. USF | The Boneyard

Baseball Home Opener Series - UConn vs. USF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 5:48pm via TweetDeck
Pretty good pitching match-up on tap in Storrs tomorrow...two of the top arms in @American_BSB set to square off.
CBiaALzUUAAJic-.jpg

Reaction Score
After opening the season with 27 games away from home, the UConn baseball team (18-9, 2-1 American) will return to J.O. Christian Field on Thursday to open a three-game league set with South Florida (20-9-1, 3-0 American).

The Huskies and Bulls will square off on April 2 at 3 p.m. before another 3 p.m. start on April 3 and a 1 p.m. first pitch on April 4.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/040115aaa.html

Season to date stats

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to say not happy with decision not to bunt early. Top pitchers in the conference so could be a low scoring game. 1st inning lead off walk by Sundberg and no sac. Would have scored on Davey double instead only gets to 3rd and strand 2nd and 3rd. 2nd inning leadoff double by Duffin and Daniello who strikes out a lot would be a good option to bunt and doesn't, he strikes out and Yahn who has proven to be a good contact hitter could drive him in from 3rd.
Need to play small ball sometimes, especially when runs could be at a premium.

Reaction Score
Two throwing errors by McDowell have led to 2 unearned runs. Trailing 2-1 after five and a half.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Eh, generally speaking small ball is not the right play when you're dealing with the top of your lineup. Overall I would rather have a runner on first and no outs than a runner on second and 1 out. The logical test is that when your team is pitching you are hoping the other team gives up an out.

I can't ever remember thinking, "Oh no, the other team sac bunted." If anything, I would want Sundberg to steal a base.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, UConn has scored a run to tie it up on the strength of a HBP, what I'm guessing was an errant pickoff attempt that allowed the runner to advance to 3rd, and an RBI single by Daniello.

Yahn singles and it's first and 3rd. Hopefully they can retake the lead and tighten up their defense. Cross is dealing.

Reaction Score
RBI single for Daniello. 2-2
Hit and run single by Yahn. 1st and 3rd with 1 out.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Eventually we're going to see Testani drop down a suicide squeeze this year. Not saying this is the time to do it (6th inning is too early) but the thought crossed my mind.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Two throwing errors by McDowell have led to 2 unearned runs. Trailing 2-1 after five and a half.
Not to be outdone, USF's catcher makes a throwing error on a SB attempt allowing a runner to score from 3rd.

Melley up with the bases loaded and 2 outs. UConn leads 3-2 in the bottom of the 6th.

Melley walks to make it 4-2. We'll set it up again with Davey at the plate. Could break things wide open here with Cross on the mound.

Davey singles and advances to 2nd on the throw as 2 runs come home to make it 6-2. McDowell now up with 2 in scoring position.

Last edited:

mets1090

Reaction Score
Cross gets the leadoff man out in the 8th before being relieved by Ruotolo, whom you would have to think will finish the game assuming all goes well. 5 outs to go with a 3 run lead and Ruotolo on the bump is a pretty good spot to be in.

Reaction Score
Routolo just blew the lead. 2 outs nobody on and gives up 4 runs.
Previous inning in th Bottom of the 7th UConn had 1st and 2nd no outs and decide to try a double steal with Duffin at 2nd. Really have to question that one with a chance to blow the game open. Duffin not exactly fast.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Routolo just blew the lead. 2 outs nobody on and gives up 4 runs.
Previous inning in th Bottom of the 7th UConn had 1st and 2nd no outs and decide to try a double steal with Duffin at 2nd. Really have to question that one with a chance to blow the game open. Duffin not exactly fast.
Is it me or is it year after year we kill ourselves on the base path?

Reaction Score
Is it me or is it year after year we kill ourselves on the base path?
Haven't been too bad this year to date although Siena had a couple of real questionable pick offs last weekend. This would be a horrible game to lose. Can't mess around when you have a chance to bury a team.

Reaction Score
Routolo getting rocked today. Have to wonder if going so many innings over the weekend is coming back to bit him. 8-6 now USF. I was really wondering honestly why Penders was bringing him in with a 3 run lead. Figured we had a little wiggle room to maybe go with someone else.

Reaction Score
9-6 going to bottom of 9th. Routolo probably lost for the rest of the weekend now as he made a lot of pitches.
Sorry not one of Penders better decision making days.

mets1090

Reaction Score
There's no way Ruotolo wasn't at least coming in for the 9th to (theoretically) ensure a victory in the opening game of a conference series. I thought it was a little odd to bring him in for the 8th but there was no way to predict he would have a meltdown with 2 outs and nobody on. If anything, in the past Penders has gotten into trouble when leaving his starters in too long.

It's a horrible loss that unfortunately falls squarely on the shoulders of one pitcher. Happened in the blink of an eye. All you can do is hope Ruotolo responds well in his next game.

Baseball is a fickle game... This won't be the last time a pitcher doesn't have it and it costs us the game but I'm sure we'll have a couple wins handed to us in the same fashion.

Reaction Score
There's no way Ruotolo wasn't at least coming in for the 9th to (theoretically) ensure a victory in the opening game of a conference series. I thought it was a little odd to bring him in for the 8th but there was no way to predict he would have a meltdown with 2 outs and nobody on. If anything, in the past Penders has gotten into trouble when leaving his starters in too long.

It's a horrible loss that unfortunately falls squarely on the shoulders of one pitcher. Happened in the blink of an eye. All you can do is hope Ruotolo responds well in his next game.

Baseball is a fickle game... This won't be the last time a pitcher doesn't have it and it costs us the game but I'm sure we'll have a couple wins handed to us in the same fashion.
I agree he just didn't have it today. I am a little more frustrated at the offensive decisions today. They really had a chance to put that game away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom