Ban the Patriots | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ban the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Much like you and everyone else who hasn't ever worked in that envirnoment, I'm going off what I've heard and read over the past few days. All the QB's have said coaches don't invest any time and energy into ball PSI levels. The coach puts all of it on to the QB and ball boy or equipment manager. Coaches assume that the QB has enough pull to get footballs groomed to their liking. I'm sure if a QB was having issues they could bring it up to the coach, but I'm pretty sure Tom Brady has enough pull to get football's prepped to his liking.

Well, then it's settled for you. You haven't been in that environment and don't have any experience. But you are willing to call multiple current players and coaches and ex-players and coaches liars because it doesn't fit your notion of what a coach knows. Okay.

I don't think it's a stretch. How long have they been working with eachother?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sorry Buzz, I didn't get the memo that Deadspin wasn't cool anymore.
:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The one thing that makes me laugh in all of this is how NE fans claim they are being targeted by the league, the NFL and legions of "haters" because they win and everyone is jealous.

I'm a Giant fan, so yeah, not quite.

People hate the Pats because they portray themselves as this pristine, 'classy' dynasty doing things the 'Patriot way' when in reality they are proven cheaters, the owner is a and they haven't won a title in a decade.

Just an all around pretty funny situation involving air pressure and a fan base grasping for straws.

I've never heard them portray themselves at pristine/classy nor the "patriot way". I'm not even a fan, and I've never heard this.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You know, why don't they just disband the franchise and hold a dispersal draft for the other 31 teams? I feel like that would satisfy most people here :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Patriots fans are the touchiest kids on earth.e

They got caught dead to rights. They own it.

1) the investigation from the league hasn't even come out yet, so a rational assessment can't be made. There are security cameras and tv cameras everywhere. It's only the 1-2 hours before kickoff that need to be monitored plus the 1st half of the game. If the patriots intentially let air out of all those balls, then they will have some sort of evidence of it.

2) there are numerous reports from both players and head coaches that the rules for doctoring footballs arent followed. Other leagues do the same thing. For example, a basketball player who takes 3 or 4 steps and scores should be called for a travel according to the rule book, but it is not enforced and coaches and teams don't complain about a loss because a guy took two steps and a jump stop before hitting a game winning shot.

So step 1 is to prove that the Patriots intentially deflated the balls and step two is to figure out if this is a rule that is actually enforced. It could be a rule similar to how the traveling rule is not enforced.

Neither of these steps were taken before reporting the story because all the media wants is page views. What has leaked out since this time is that the rule for doctoring footballs in not enforced according to the current head coaches in the league and quarterbacks present and past.

There is also a precedent this season for the league to not punish tampering with footballs. I'm sure you are aware of the cold game where the balls were being heated up in full view of the cameras. The reason there was no punishment is because the league changed its rules about treating footballs and also allows teams to go beyond what the rules state because it helps offenses score more points. This is additional proof that the league looks at how teams prepare their balls as the nba does traveling. The rules are allowed to be broken to benefit the league and they haven't officially changed the rules, but it's clear to everyone (or almost everyone) what is actually allowed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What's the penalty for discovering that balls are not inflated correctly during a game? Not apples to apples.
Would the penalty for discovering the ball was underinflated be assessed against the Colts or the refs?

Reaction Score
"rational assessment can't be made" QUOTE]

OK wait a second here! There has been a lot of trashing talking, name calling, and even a challenge or two to meet out in the parking lot to settle a dispute; but accusing people of making a rational assessment on this board is a step to far. If everyone had the ability to make a rational assessment, there would be no Boneyard!:D

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
A fine and a pick like a fourth round. That is my call as the NFL wants this over with before next week

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The NFL is just plain stupid.

Fairly clear that there was some sort of shenanigans, but if they slam the Patriots now, they set up an ugly story line for next week.

If they continue their investigation, for whatever that means, past the Super Bowl, they set up an ugly story line for next week.

What they should have done....was bury the thing with some phony story and a small fine two days ago. Say it was an error. Say the wrong balls were used. Say that a mouse was in the ball box and he f---ed the balls with his lil mouse wiener and bled two pounds of air out in the process. Whatever.

There would have been a commotion for a day and then you would have heard it at the Pats' pressers, but it would have settled fast.

Reaction Score
The fact that they haven't interviewed Brady yet makes you wonder what the duckk these investigators are doing.

And it also sheds a lot of light on how they botched the Ray Rice thing so badly.

Reaction Score
I'm even more embarrassed to post a bleacher report link but this "article" is spot on.

I'm a Giants fan and I'd rather us kicking their as^es in big games be their black mark, not +/- a few psi in the football, so I'm not trying to pile on here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2339195-is-the-nfl-going-to-let-brady-and-belichick-play-it-for-a-fool

This is the worst piece of "journalism" I have ever read. This guy should be ashamed for assembling this piece of garbage.

Reaction Score
So Bill Belichick said to his ball boy --let the air out of all the balls. It's so preposterous as to be laughable. There are no secrets, as TMZ's money has shown. I say the balls were inflated to the lowest permissible psi (as Brady prefers) and the cold reduced them further. The Colts psi was at the highest point so they deflated less and within the norm. That's your answer to the mystery.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You know, why don't they just disband the franchise and hold a dispersal draft for the other 31 teams? I feel like that would satisfy most people here :rolleyes:

Brady would be about the 10th pick I would assume -
Gronk
Revis
Browner
McCourty
and others would go ahead of him.

Tom looked a bit shaky during that presser yesterday - not the calm, cool, confident character I am used to seeing. This seems to be stinging the Pats...

Reaction Score
If the officials tested the footballs indoors at room temp 2+ hrs before game then retested on the field or not allowed them to come up to RT prior to retesting knowing Brady likes them at league min pressure then the NFL is dopier than I thought.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wonderful imagery, Fishy. And to your point the NFL doesn't seem to know crap about PR. Be swift, decisive, own the narrative and move on (oh, and get it right, or the above is all for naught).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The fact that they haven't interviewed Brady yet makes you wonder what the duckk these investigators are doing.

And it also sheds a lot of light on how they botched the Ray Rice thing so badly.

I'm thinking that the reason why the NFL hasn't approached the Pats yet is because the NFL is realizing that the NFL needs to get its schitt together first. I find it entirely believable that referees don't stick a needle in every game ball making it impossible for the NFL to find any tampering in the chain of custody. When you can't determine a fixed point in time when the balls were verified in compliance, it kinda kills the rest of the investigation.

Complacency and indifference to policy cost billions of dollars in productivity across every industry.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that the reason why the NFL hasn't approached the Pats yet is because the NFL is realizing that the NFL needs to get its schitt together first. I find it entirely believable that referees don't stick a needle in every game ball making it impossible for the NFL to find any tampering in the chain of custody. When you can't determine a fixed point in time when the balls were verified in compliance, it kinda kills the rest of the investigation.

Complacency and indifference to policy cost billions of dollars in productivity across every industry.

So having no experience in the industry, you are assuming that refs don't check every ball. Aren't you doing the same thing that you accused me of doing?

Also, if you don't think that BB knows what Brady's ball preferences are or that Brady had zero to do with the deflation then.... well you can pick your favoirte cliche to complete the sentence.

Reaction Score
So Bill Belichick said to his ball boy --let the air out of all the balls. It's so preposterous as to be laughable. There are no secrets, as TMZ's money has shown. I say the balls were inflated to the lowest permissible psi (as Brady prefers) and the cold reduced them further. The Colts psi was at the highest point so they deflated less and within the norm. That's your answer to the mystery.

Doesn't jive scientifically. Still wouldn't be enough to make them drop that far.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So having no experience in the industry, you are assuming that refs don't check every ball. Aren't you doing the same thing that you accused me of doing?

Also, if you don't think that BB knows what Brady's ball preferences are or that Brady had zero to do with the deflation then.... well you can pick your favoirte cliche to complete the sentence.

Fair enough. I cold have said "I'm guessing" or "I have a hunch" instead of "I'm thinking". I do have experience in other industries that investigate mishaps or activities and non-compliance due to indifferene and complacency almost always factors in to the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom